Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've never understood the hype over Wiltshire.  There's no doubt he's very talented but he's never fit and even when he is he's not as good as the southern media make out.  He seems to believe his own hype aswell which makes him hard to like.  I hope we stay well away.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's a very good footballer, but has that awful English disease which compels him to run around like a blue arsed fly doing not an awful lot other than injuring himself and looking like he's showing passhun and balls. Barkley is similar, Gerrard likewise although he had far more goaslcoring ability to mask that which elevated him somewhat. Compare that to someone like Lampard, a far superior player IMO and Scholes.

I used to rate Wilshire but my brother in law who is a Gooner says his attitude and lifestyle is not that of a pro footballer and that these days he's s***.

I've never understood the hype over Wiltshire.  There's no doubt he's very talented but he's never fit and even when he is he's not as good as the southern media make out.  He seems to believe his own hype aswell which makes him hard to like.  I hope we stay well away.

:pokerface:

I used to rate Wilshire but my brother in law who is a Gooner says his attitude and lifestyle is not that of a pro footballer and that these days he's s***.

:pokerface:

At least i don't refer to the princely Chris Hughton as Chris Houghton  :mike:

Guest chopey

On a related topic, Gerrard and Scholes produced 2 of the best displays I've seen by an opposition player at SJP

Was the Gerrard display when we were booing him after a poor England performance ?

HTT is talking about player types, not comparing their pedigrees, in that sense.

Scholes was the best English midfielder of the last 20 years IMO. Of course Lampard and Gerrard were both excellent too.

Guest Howaythetoon

Gerrard may not have been as good as Scholes and Lampard but to put him in the same category as Wilshere and Barkley is a bit daft

I didn't, I just stated he had that same run a round like a lunatic tackling everything and anything kind of English disease that most English midfielders seem to be infected by. Even Beckham had it.

On a related topic, Gerrard and Scholes produced 2 of the best displays I've seen by an opposition player at SJP

Was the Gerrard display when we were booing him after a poor England performance ?

Pretty sure he got a standing ovation when he came off that day by sections of the ground.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT is talking about player types, not comparing their pedigrees, in that sense.

Scholes was the best English midfielder of the last 20 years IMO. Of course Lampard and Gerrard were both excellent too.

Thanks and I'd agree with you on Scholes, with Lampard not far behind. Scholes didn't run around like a lunatic, although when he did make a challenge, he was always late, but that wasn't his game. I always thought he felt compelled to try and put a tackle in because that is what is expected of an English payer, especially a midfielder.

Pretty sure he got a standing ovation when he came off that day by sections of the ground.

Yeah he did. It was when they completely bummed us under Allardyce and Given got MOM.

Guest Howaythetoon

When they beat us 5-1 I think it was at SJP I saw two outstanding performances that day, Gerrard and Given. Gerrard was immense, everything you wanted from a footballer. I think that game was the straw that broke Shay's back... that was a dark dark season!

Yeah he did. It was when they completely bummed us under Allardyce and Given got MOM.

Did Given not jump ship soon after?

Was it not under Kinnear during our relegation season?

Guest Howaythetoon

He was about as "Xavi" as any English player has been, except he scored more goals.

Hated him, when he was around though.

I'll get slated for this, but Scholes in that Barca side would be regarded as a better player than both Xavi and Iniesta.

Did their careers end with the stat that Scholes scored more goals at SJP as Dyer?

It was definitely the case at the end of Bobby's reign

Pretty sure there was a rumour in the papers that Dyer was going to take Scholes place in the England squad or something like that and then he scored a brilliant hat trick against us

Guest chopey

You might be right the booing must have made him angry and the first couple of times I watched Scholes I thought he was the luckiest player I'd ever seen because every time the ball went lose it seem to land at his feet, I soon realised that it was his vison and sheer football brain that made him so good.

Guest firetotheworks

Wilshire was a brilliant prospect and I was already a big fan of him at the level he got to, but I'm very sceptical of him now, like. I don't know the deets, but not being able to get a game at Bournemouth doesn't look good on paper.