Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seen a fair bit of Rolan going back a few years, really liked him at the beginning but he's lost his way since being asked to be the main man at Bordeaux after Diabate went.

He always seems to be better when played in a two up front rather than leading the line alone, although we could still hold interest because he's a real Swiss army knife forward who can play to a similar standard out wide as well (on either side). Will work hard and make a lot of diagonal runs to join in, has a bit of pace and isn't the worst dribbler.

Still, he would be uninspiring based on last season's form, but would plug a gap and effectively take up the Gouffran role. He retains a fair bit of upside, but doubt he'd be considered an automatic starter or serious competition for Gayle immediately.

:thup: i like the swiss army knife analogy :lol:

If we end up with Rolan as our main striker we are in trouble

We won't, we have Gayle.

Who is relatively still unproven at PL level

Not really, he's a proven 1 in 3 PL goalscorer while never being the main striker.

His goal record for a striker who is consistently played through the middle is a bit shit, mind.

Well I mean 10 goals in 36 games last season looks ok.  But better when you see it was 1765 minutes total (so basically just under 20 full matches).

Seen a fair bit of Rolan going back a few years, really liked him at the beginning but he's lost his way since being asked to be the main man at Bordeaux after Diabate went.

He always seems to be better when played in a two up front rather than leading the line alone, although we could still hold interest because he's a real Swiss army knife forward who can play to a similar standard out wide as well (on either side). Will work hard and make a lot of diagonal runs to join in, has a bit of pace and isn't the worst dribbler.

Still, he would be uninspiring based on last season's form, but would plug a gap and effectively take up the Gouffran role. He retains a fair bit of upside, but doubt he'd be considered an automatic starter or serious competition for Gayle immediately.

:thup: i like the swiss army knife analogy :lol:

Rafa's new Dirk Kuyt? ???

TBF, Gouffran would've probably been a lot more useful if we hadn't used him mostly as a second LB.

He ended up playing an auxiliary LB because he wasn't good enough to play as a forward outright. I'd be wary of buying another player who struggles to be an out and out striker.

His goal record for a striker who is consistently played through the middle is a bit s***, mind.

Well I mean 10 goals in 36 games last season looks ok.  But better when you see it was 1765 minutes total (so basically just under 20 full matches).

I thought that for our first season back in the PL we'd be looking at a striker who's going to get 15+. Maybe Gayle can be that man, I hope so, but I can't see it. I thought Rafa would be looking in Spain for a striker tbh.

His goal record for a striker who is consistently played through the middle is a bit s***, mind.

I thought that for our first season back in the PL we'd be looking at a striker who's going to get 15+. Maybe Gayle can be that man, I hope so, but I can't see it. I thought Rafa would be looking in Spain for a striker tbh.

I think if Gayle plays 38 games as our main striker he'll get 15+, it's his fitness that worries me most, definitely need reliable backup.

Strikers from Spain often don't work over here even if they kill it in La Liga. There are, of course, isolated examples like Torres and Costa but different attributes are required to be successful. I think Rafa would rather target someone fairly proven in this league.

Strikers from Spain often don't work over here even if they kill it in La Liga. There are, of course, isolated examples like Torres and Costa but different attributes are required to be successful. I think Rafa would rather target someone fairly proven in this league.

I think Rafa will still be very wary because of the way Morientes went for Liverpool. He's quite a good example of the type of Spanish striker you're referring to.

Most people at the time expected him to bang them in at a similar rate to what Torres eventually did, and obviously he was crap.

One thing mentioned in "Rafalution" was Benitez' concern at not having enough unpredictability in attacking areas at times last season. Murphy solves that to some degree, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us looking to go for a wildcard like Carrillo. We need a bit of a mavrick™ with fret™.

Hopefully we're still in the market for another winger, although I appreciate there's other areas most would want to focus on first.

I've posted it many times before but that's first and foremost what you want from a winger imo. Unpredictability. I'd always take that over solid consistency in the right circumstances. We've actually none of that in the wide areas since Robert left, apart from Hatem of course.