Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

His goal record for a striker who is consistently played through the middle is a bit s***, mind.

Well I mean 10 goals in 36 games last season looks ok.  But better when you see it was 1765 minutes total (so basically just under 20 full matches).

I thought that for our first season back in the PL we'd be looking at a striker who's going to get 15+. Maybe Gayle can be that man, I hope so, but I can't see it. I thought Rafa would be looking in Spain for a striker tbh.

I think if Gayle plays 38 games as our main striker he'll get 15+, it's his fitness that worries me most, definitely need reliable backup.

That's my concern as well, I'm confident he'll score goals if he plays enough games. Can't say the same for any of the other strikers on our books, that's why I think a proven striker will be one of Rafa's priority targets this window and where we might still end up spending big.

Wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Routledge but Atsu offered a fair amount of flair/unpredictability last season.

And a lot of inconsistency too  whereas Routledge hit the ground running and secured us the league

Wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Routledge but Atsu offered a fair amount of flair/unpredictability last season.

And a lot of inconsistency too  whereas Routledge hit the ground running and secured us the league

Do you not think unpredictability and inconsistency go hand-in-hand to some extent though?

I agree re. Atsu and Routledge FWIW - wasn't making a direct comparison between the two.

Need a proper winger too, not this left-footers-on-the-right cutting inside craze. It's so easy to defend against and it's too predictable.

Aye but Rafa likes to employ that tactic quite a lot, it's about the overlapping fullback giving the width as the wingers drag players inside. Prefer the old fashioned winger getting a yard and whipping in a cross myself.

Need a proper winger too, not this left-footers-on-the-right cutting inside craze. It's so easy to defend against and it's too predictable.

Nowhere near as predictable as an old fashioned natural winger tbh.

That's what I was thinking ???

Guest firetotheworks

You reckon? It might be predictable, but it's often unstoppable regardless and with an overlapping fullback you can get the best of both worlds. Old fashioned wingers aren't really a thing anymore, although wingbacks are obviously making a big come back in 352s.

Nowhere near as predictable as an old fashioned natural winger tbh.

That's what I was thinking ???

Same. Wingers that just try and go round the outside of the full back and whip it in are far more predictable

So Boro are buying Randolph and Reading are going for the Mackem, suddenly the market for Darlow has disappeared. Should have taken the 5 Million imo, since Rafa obviously doesn't rate him.

How many left-footers do we currently have? Seems a fairly high number.

Clark

Dummett

Colback

Lazaar

Ritchie

Aarons

Haidara

Elliot

Murphy, J

Krul

That's some 4 to 5 lefties in the first team.

Would be canny cool if we'd just signed a two-footed winger who could cut inside and shoot or go outside and cross.

To be fair Murphy seems very 2-footed.

Aye :thup:

Cant tell if Rich is taking the piss or not :lol:

:bob:

Obviously been away too long.

(Apologies to Ronaldo.)