Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ST > AM > LW > GK > LB > CM remaining on my personal wish list, in that order.

With Merino here and Manquillo capable of covering at left-back, those positions have dropped down a fair bit.

Still think we could stretch that far if we're able to shift all of the crap on our books, but was hoping we'd have seen at least one further departure this week.

With Merino here and Manquillo capable of covering at left-back, those positions have dropped down a fair bit.

Still think we could stretch that far if we're able to shift all of the crap on our books, but was hoping we'd have seen at least one further departure this week.

I'd bump GK above LW but that is being nit picky. Basically exactly how I feel.

King is good imo. Good footballer, finisher and flexible in terms of positions too. Can't see him going for less than 20-25 million though so no chance.

Gray isn't anywhere near as flexible, and can only really play one role. But with his contract situation and Burnley lacking the financial backing of AFCB he'd be far more attainable.

I think that's the key really, there's only a small pool of strikers we could realistically go for. Obviously with a smaller spend you are going to have to take a chance on them not being one season wonders. We don't have the funds or the pulling power to reel in the £50m proven strikers.

I'd bump GK above AM as well. We already have De Jong, Diame and Shelvey on the books who could do that role, while they aren't maybe what we want ideally, they can do a job for a season between them until we have the funds to upgrade properly. Striker and GK come first for me, anything after that is a bonus.

I'd bump GK above AM as well. We already have De Jong, Diame and Shelvey on the books who could do that role, while they aren't maybe what we want ideally, they can do a job for a season between them until we have the funds to upgrade properly. Striker and GK come first for me, anything after that is a bonus.

I'd rather use a GK as AM than Diame.

Striker > Keeper > AM.

I'm quite surprised so many posters are relatively relaxed about the keeping situation, like. We know how poor Elliot is and Darlow was often a liability in the Championship. A good keeper like Reina would do so much more than help stop us conceding daft goals.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ritchie featured in that role a bit this season likez I think he'd be good at it too fwiw.

It's Charnley & co. who seem to be relaxed. Wasn't Caballero the first person on the list for Rafa? And we've been linked with Reina for ages. Clearly Rafa sees it the same way you, and most of us do, about our keeping situation.

Striker > Keeper > AM.

I'm quite surprised so many posters are relatively relaxed about the keeping situation, like. We know how poor Elliot is and Darlow was often a liability in the Championship. A good keeper like Reina would do so much more than help stop us conceding daft goals.

I'm just a bit concerned about who we could end up with at this stage and also perturbed that we brought in Sels under Rafa's watch (although the blame for that appears to have been passed to Carr.)

If we were getting Reina then I'd be delighted as that is a clear step-up in terms of almost everything on our current crop.

Hopefully Rafa's got something up his sleeve still, if Reina isn't still a goer.

I'd rather use a GK as AM than Diame.

It's not like Diame is the only option. We've got far less up front and in goal.

I have no clue why we need to strengthen LW more we already have three natural left wingers in Atsu, Aarons and Murphy plus the left footed Ritchie of course.

For me it's: #10 > Striker > Sort out the GK situation > Upgrade LB > Luxury another DM.

Rafa could throw a curve ball here and change he's preset tactic to move to a flatter central 3, which you would assume would be Hayden, Shelvey and Merino. If that's the case then we would need to focus more on CM and look at different types of strikers that are adept at bringing others into play. I doubt that happens though, I think he still wants his striker to be a pacey, poacher type which puts the onus on the 10 to link the play, that's why I'm still shocked we've not addressed that area of the team.

People pinning anything on De Jong are gonna be sorely disappointed. He looked slow against Bradford City, ffs.

Rafa is keeping him around and playing because his attitude is good, but he'll be behind Diame and Perez in the pecking order and his presence at the club probably stops us signing somebody there. The sooner we shift him the better.

I have no clue why we need to strengthen LW more we already have three natural left wingers in Atsu, Aarons and Murphy plus the left footed Ritchie of course.

For me it's: #10 > Striker > Sort out the GK situation > Upgrade LB > Luxury another DM.

Rafa could throw a curve ball here and change he's preset tactic to move to a flatter central 3, which you would assume would be Hayden, Shelvey and Merino. If that's the case then we would need to focus more on CM and look at different types of strikers that are adept at bringing others into play. I doubt that happens though, I think he still wants his striker to be a pacey, poacher type which puts the onus on the 10 to link the play, that's why I'm still shocked we've not addressed that area of the team.

Atsu's a right winger.

Is he? Someone should tell Rafa!

I think he knows, but Ritchie had the position nailed down for most of last season.

Did you not think he was significantly better when able to play down the right?

I think he knows, but Ritchie had the position nailed down for most of last season.

I can't really remember, I'm sure you've got a point. I do think it's good that a lot of our wingers are flexible like that. I think Murphy could even play more centrally.

I hear where you are coming from, Rafa certainly employed him on the Right more than the left but he's a natural left footed, left winger. Rafa seems to like his wide men to cut in onto their favoured foot. he would have loved Ginola :)

I can't really remember, I'm sure you've got a point. I do think it's good that a lot of our wingers are flexible like that. I think Murphy could ever play more centrally.

He was, in my opinion at least, he also won Player of the Tournament in AFCON 2015 playing on the right for Ghana.

He doesn't look as natural on the left, although he has played there plenty throughout his career.

Ritchie also looks significantly worse on that side to me, for what it's worth.

Top and bottom of it, I and others still want a LW to come in because we currently have Aarons as the only true natural in that position and we know he can't be relied upon fitness-wise. There's also nothing to say he's good enough (he was fairly ineffective at the start of last season, for instance, though the team took time to find their feet).

I dare say Murphy will become a great player for that spot in time, but as of now he's still someone who has shown his best on the right rather than the left.

Another one, given that I'm wiling away the minutes until home time...

On the goalkeeper front, it seems like Rafa's out there looking for something none of our current set can offer - namely big match experience and the ability to come out quickly and sweep up in behind the defence with confidence and authority.

If there's anything in the Karnezis link it continues the theme on from Reina and Caballero in that regard.