Euro 2016 Travelogue

Wullie

Sat in Lyon airport now before connecting (sprinting) through Paris back to town. Had a class trip despite logistical problems, met some cool folk and seen not a jot of bother.

What an amazing trip that was.

We arrived in Marseille last Tuesday when the Albanians were in town. Got friendly with some of them and up getting pretty hammered and singing with them into the early hours.

Next day was the France game at the Velodrome which is one of my best football experiences. Amazing stadium and atmosphere, class national anthem and 2 late goals and everyone went mental.

Next day we went to the fanzone for the England game. Probably a couple of hundred england fans there and made the atmosphere good. At 1-1 we were singing "If England score, we're in the sea" so everyone obviously went mental when Sturridge scored and ran for the beach at full time and we had a party in the sea (there's a couple videos on YouTube that give you an idea). Obviously the rest of that day was great fun.

We woke up at 7 the next morning as we had to drive for a day trip to Toulouse for Italy Sweden. Ended up with a nice BMW. Game was pretty dull but we were right next to the Sweden fans who were class. No time to check the city out though we made our way back east and stopped off for dinner in Sete before heading back to Marseille.

Saturday was Hungary Iceland in the evening (Hungary fans were class) followed by a beach day on Sunday, despite the wind. Annoyingly the wind was bad enough for the fanzone to be closed for the France game so just went into town to watch.

Gutted it's over, but a group of us going over to Lille for the quarter final on Friday 1st July.

That Ireland Italy game must have been class to be at. Where were your seats?

Would either be class to be in with the Irish or class to see how mental they looked from a distance.

Outstanding that was. Had an awful 15hr journey home via Dusseldorf & Edinburgh thanks to the French striking again like.

England game was shite but the atmosphere was fantastic (Slovakia). Also good to be at that Portugal match last night. Generally though, just being around the place was great despite the French being unable to organise a piss-up in a brewery.

Can I just say a public thank you to one French taxi driver and receptionist in particular.

Was going from Nice train station to the Campanile on Boulevard Risso on Tuesday. My phone fell out my pocket and I didn't realise until after we'd checked in - cue utter panic.

The receptionist was an absolute darling who made about four calls to a few taxi companies begging them to radio/call their drivers to see where it was. As it was on silent, the driver wasn't picking up. Went on their computer to access iCloud and Find My iPhone as you can make it play a sound.

Eventually the driver picked up and said he'd come back after he'd done a drop off at the airport. The receptionist was convinced he'd want paying for the trouble but he wouldn't take anything from me.

Both good eggs.

Guest neesy111

For the people who went to Nice, did you find there was a shocking lack of Taxi's for a city?

They weren't prepared at all.

I felt they were permanently on strike.

Why isn't there any decent beer in France?

Anything darker than a lager tasted like dishwater.

Otherwise had an amazing 12 day out there - French were largely class, only really experienced the Parisian wrath before this. No trouble - everyone in good spirits. Bordeaux the highlight - amazing place.

Watching Super Furry Animals & Dropkick Murphys for 8 euros in a Celtic Festival in Toulouse a non football highlight. Take me back