Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

10 hours ago, jack j said:

Be class if they knocked summit about micky quinn in 2 days

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

@Heron this would be phenomenal. Exact same as what they intended but for Micky.

Genuinely made me laugh out loud this idea.  And now I really, really want to see it happen.  Completely small-time (beneath WF really), and the whole thing would be lost on anyone who doesn't have an NE / DH / SR postcode I reckon.  But I reckon it would be the thing which finally tips some of the RTG lot into the nuthouse permanently.

On 11/10/2022 at 20:09, TheGuv said:

Genuinely might need a drum to ‘drum’

it into people. 

Pathetic either way tbf. The fact we don’t know our own anthem 

The lack of knowledge of the lyrics of 'Blaydon Races' is borderline sacrilege for me.  And that pre-match version is utter shite.

It should done live before every game - with a fucking muckle great big brass band.  I don't want a busker singing over a tannoy with a dafty whacking a drum out of time.  Just a brass section and the crowd does the rest.  Makes sense to me at least.

EDIT: said brass band should also help keep proper timing.  The New Monkey 180bpm version preferred by many can also do one.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The lack of knowledge of the lyrics of 'Blaydon Races' is borderline sacrilege for me.  And that pre-match version is utter shite.

It should done live before every game - with a fucking muckle great big brass band.  I don't want a busker singing over a tannoy with a dafty whacking a drum out of time.  Just a brass section and the crowd does the rest.  Makes sense to me at least.

Remember we used to get that opera singer Greame Danby to song it on the pitch beforehand until he asked the Portsmouth fans if they'd came in a fucking minibus and I don't think he was invited back again.

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Remember we used to get that opera singer Greame Danby to song it on the pitch beforehand until he asked the Portsmouth fans if they'd came in a fucking minibus and I don't think he was invited back again.

This does sound like it could be a line in Blaydon Races, mind

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

EDIT: said brass band should also help keep proper timing.  The New Monkey 180bpm version preferred by many can also do one.

Probably not a bad shout having a small brass band (or just one trumpeter?) playing the odd time during the game. Works for the Barmy Army very well. 

29 minutes ago, RS said:

If anyone is seriously suggesting  an England style brass band to “enthuse” the fans they need their fucking heads shaken. 

it’s absolutely shite. 

What’s ‘absolutely shite’ is the fact we even have to discuss this as an option. The reason we’re discussing this is because Wor Flags have asked for ideas because the vast majority of our own fan base are incapable of being able to sing our anthem at a pace that others can join in at (oh and also singing the correct lyrics).

I’m looking forward to reading your idea on how we can achieve this 👍🏻

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

What’s ‘absolutely shite’ is the fact we even have to discuss this as an option. The reason we’re discussing this is because Wor Flags have asked for ideas because the vast majority of our own fan base are incapable of being able to sing our anthem at a pace that others can join in at (oh and also singing the correct lyrics).

I’m looking forward to reading your idea on how we can achieve this 👍🏻

Put a giant metronome on the leazes roof. 

How anal do you have to be to get lairy about  the Blaydon races to be sang as per Geordie Ridley’s specification?

80% only know the chorus anyway and the first verse is always bastardised (hands up who sings “Away we went 'lang Collin'wood Street, that's on the road to Blaydon”?) Get a petition up about that while your on

Just now, RS said:

Put a giant metronome on the leazes roof. 

How anal do you have to be to get lairy about  the Blaydon races to be sang as per Geordie Ridley’s specification?

80% only know the chorus anyway and the first verse is always bastardised (hands up who sings “Away we went 'lang Collin'wood Street, that's on the road to Blaydon”?) Get a petition up about that while your on

You’ve literally agreed with what I’ve said? That the majority don’t know the lyrics…

I’m lairy about it, as it’s a song that’s OURS, it’s 160 years old, it’s OUR anthem and we can’t get it right. Busby Aces is sung better by Man Utd fans. Is that not embarrassing? 

People take the piss out of Liverpool and YNWA but it sounds fantastic and it’s sung at a pace everyone can get behind. The song is synonymous with Liverpool around the world (even though for a time everyone else would sing it. Us included btw). Why can’t we have the same?

Because instead of trying to change it (including the lyrics being sung wrong which you’ve alluded to), it’s a shrug of the shoulders, it’s not my problem and let’s take the piss out of any idea to get it right. 

I don't have a solution, but I know that one of the problems is that people don't want to sound daft and get embarrassed singing along with no one around them joining in. Ideally you want to be singing and it being so loud that you can't hear yourself or anyone around you. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I don't have a solution, but I know that one of the problems is that people don't want to sound daft and get embarrassed singing along with no one around them joining in. Ideally you want to be singing and it being so loud that you can't hear yourself or anyone around you. 

I think you’re bang on tbh. 

My only likely solution is for it to be sung over and over again until people get the message. It’ll be quite awkward for the first couple of choruses, but surely that’s the only way of getting it right. 🤷‍♂️

It's difficult to make happen as well because these things work best or only work at all when they happen naturally and spontaneously and become tradition, like you say with YNWA.

I'm just talking shite like, but maybe it's just about setting the stage and if it happens it happens? 

Actually, what about a full stadium display that has the lyrics to Blaydon Races on the back of each piece of paper as a starting point?

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Genuinely made me laugh out loud this idea.  And now I really, really want to see it happen.  Completely small-time (beneath WF really), and the whole thing would be lost on anyone who doesn't have an NE / DH / SR postcode I reckon.  But I reckon it would be the thing which finally tips some of the RTG lot into the nuthouse permanently.

Would be fantastic. No context needed, it's not an anti-Sunderland display, pro a cult hero of ours, just to show them how it should be done.

I’ve cut these together for you @RS. A clip from the 70s, two from the 80s and one from the 90s in there - all sound infinitely better than it does today. 

I’m sure there’s a appetite for it, it just needs a bit more plugging imo!