Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

2 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Does anyone from WorFlags have any knowledge of whether £17k for the Mackem display yesterday is in line with expectations from a cost perspective?

Rivalries aside, because the lads doing it have been getting some serious abuse and I’m genuinely intrigued. 

I'll be honest, I think it's absolutely shite the pelters they're getting from their own fans. It's a positive thing they're trying to do for their football club and both this group and any potential new group will be massively deterred from proceeding given the shit they're receiving.

The easiest way for them to stop it is to evidence the costs. This fixture arrived at short notice so they may have had to pay a premium for expedited turn around and likewise following Brexit their are additional duties etc. to be paid to bring stuff in from Europe where they likely sourced the materials. Such places are often used by fans of multiple clubs so stock might be in short supply, etc.

I haven't really dug into it as I generally try and avoid social media nowadays, it's too much negative energy from people who don't really matter. However, I seem to see loads of comments re. Robbing their own fans etc. But no one providing any real evidence to suggest how or why they are.

If they've re-used foils, cards or foil flags from previous displays then that is both financially and environmentally sustainable and they are right to do so. As for the dosh, if it's not all been spent I am fairly sure they'll simply put that to future displays. I mean I cannot say for certain either way whether these accusations are right, that's for them to evidence if they feel the need to do so, but I suspect the costs are round about right.

The issue for me was that it looked rushed and unplanned somewhat, the W compared with the E and A, then the bottom of the D all looked shite and generally it looked squashed on at the end. Not sure on the use of an exclamation mark too. That and the fact it carried no real message to the players or us. It just wasn't the best of displays imo.

Wor Flags got grief after the Dortmund display which for me is one of our best displays to date. But we lost and we criticised the atmosphere, which folk don't like, so we got some stick in return for it. Bonkers, but folk don't like taking their own responsibility or criticism and they're happy to dish it out, particularly on social media.

So many factors to doing anything public these days. Despite them being SMBs I do think it's shan on that group though.

Edited by Heron

..just to add...

Spirit of 37 on message boards and Twitter have replied to or made comments about WF which was a typically Mackem thing to do. They're more obsessed about us and what we were doing. We generally try and ignore it but obviously this last week we've replied to or made reference to them purely because of the derby. But because we have the support of the vast majority of our fans, our fans will also jump to defend us and pile pressure on Spirit of 37.

I get a sense of their own fans' feeling like they don't do what we do as well and some of the animosity is because of that. That's why their fans trot out the whole "owners pay for WF displays" kinda line, because otherwise they cannot justify that ours are simply better, or based on the feedback we receive they are.

Personally, I think aside from the derby it's best to just focus on supporting your own team like and doing the best you can do both on and off the pitch.

Edited by Heron

...ah one last thing.

Folk need to remember that these folk are probably just normal punters with day jobs and likely families etc. Who then spend their spare time to try and make supporting their team more positive and fun not just for them but all those who support S*nderland. To make such accusations without any foundation is absolutely shite.

Same people on SMB Twitter who preach "Mind" or whatever it was about mental health and bullying etc. Are probably then making evidence-less accusations of the poor buggers at Spirit of 37. That is, of course, assuming they aren't doing owt wrong.

Brilliant response @Heron and exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Genuinely wasn't in it to criticise their SO37 tbh because they are clearly just volunteers trying to do something positive and the amount of shit they've received seems very out of kilter. They've also seemingly had little to no support from SAFC aside from them appearing to veto everything they wanted to do (and with reason, tbf, on their original design).

From a design perspective I couldn't agree more with your comments about it just looking rushed and some poor decisions on the appearance. The exclamation mark was just odd, and I guess without it they'd have more space to add extra width to the letters to make them more legible. 

And - at this opportunity - I'd like to say another thanks for all that you and the team do for NUFC because I think the evidence shows that if these things aren't done meticulously, they can look cheap and tacky, and that's one thing that can never be levelled at the work you all do.

1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Brilliant response @Heron and exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Genuinely wasn't in it to criticise their SO37 tbh because they are clearly just volunteers trying to do something positive and the amount of shit they've received seems very out of kilter. They've also seemingly had little to no support from SAFC aside from them appearing to veto everything they wanted to do (and with reason, tbf, on their original design).

From a design perspective I couldn't agree more with your comments about it just looking rushed and some poor decisions on the appearance. The exclamation mark was just odd, and I guess without it they'd have more space to add extra width to the letters to make them more legible. 

And - at this opportunity - I'd like to say another thanks for all that you and the team do for NUFC because I think the evidence shows that if these things aren't done meticulously, they can look cheap and tacky, and that's one thing that can never be levelled at the work you all do.

You're very welcome.

Whatever helps us all enjoy it more and gives the team a better chance of winning. As always we cannot do it without the supporters' help!

Spot on Heron.

I think though a problem with Spirit of 73 is that they only seem to do it once in a while when the club are asking for fans to turn up to create a record crowd etc. Generally they don’t bother and I think they have dipped in and out of saying they are not doing anymore.

I do think a lot of it is down to a lot of mackems just not prepared to put their money in, or even help. We already know that loads of them turn up on free or reduced tickets when they do bother going (not a bad thing, especially considering the economic situation of the area and region in general). However when that happens and they respond to those who don’t bother or just love to give them grief, they will never get anywhere, and give them a reason to suspect them.

Feel sorry for them following reading your point, Heza.

I have given them a bit of shit on Twitter but this was due to their petty “club funded” shite. I loved Wor Flags having a dig at them, made me think “he who laughs last laughs longest”.

This all goes back to them using us as their benchmark though. 3 top half, top flight finishes in my mam and dad’s life times, maybe they should review their aspirations and purpose. 

58 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Spot on Heron.

I think though a problem with Spirit of 73 is that they only seem to do it once in a while when the club are asking for fans to turn up to create a record crowd etc. Generally they don’t bother and I think they have dipped in and out of saying they are not doing anymore.

I do think a lot of it is down to a lot of mackems just not prepared to put their money in, or even help. We already know that loads of them turn up on free or reduced tickets when they do bother going (not a bad thing, especially considering the economic situation of the area and region in general). However when that happens and they respond to those who don’t bother or just love to give them grief, they will never get anywhere, and give them a reason to suspect them.

Just read their thread on RTG and it's lifting. Anyone criticising being accused of being a Mag and banned and others going on like it was the greatest display the world had ever seen and it wasn't very good. They're obsessed about us like. Cannot even take their red and white glasses off.

49 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I have given them a bit of shit on Twitter but this was due to their petty “club funded” shite. I loved Wor Flags having a dig at them, made me think “he who laughs last laughs longest”.

This all goes back to them using us as their benchmark though. 3 top half, top flight finishes in my mam and dad’s life times, maybe they should review their aspirations and purpose. 

Absolutely.

Their only measure is against us, they're seemingly as happy when we lose as when they win - just weird behaviour.

Obviously, it's come back to bite them about all these claims that we're not fan funded, etc. They've been naive at best at times in their comments. I'd like to think our responses and banter has been measured as a group.

Just been reading that thread on RTG and their patter is utter shite like. Basically anyone who criticises the display is a Mag and should be banned, Wor Flags think they were the first to ever do a Tifo. So37 has been around for 6 years apparently and some of their fans who regularly go to football matches around Europe think that was the best Tifo they've ever seen.

:lol:

Fucking give owa.

Read the last several posts but feel the simple question wasn’t answered. Does £17k seem the correct cost for such a display?

The only facts we have are a lot of it was reused from last November so that would rule out extortionate delivery costs in the main. Especially as the draw was made so long ago. Secondly weeks leading up to this questions from their own fans about the cost and where was the money going (I believe the original target was £5-10k approximately and kept getting increased…) Thirdly is S73 have decided to jack it in.

So just to put into perspective @Heronhow much did the Dortmund display or similar cost  approximately? Even just a rough ballpark figure.

Not after a witch hunt but very curious. Like many quite gobsmacked something of that scale would cost anywhere near £17k especially when a lot of it was recycled.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Read the last several posts but feel the simple question wasn’t answered. Does £17k seem the correct cost for such a display?

The only facts we have are a lot of it was reused from last November so that would rule out extortionate delivery costs in the main. Especially as the draw was made so long ago. Secondly weeks leading up to this questions from their own fans about the cost and where was the money going (I believe the original target was £5-10k approximately and kept getting increased…) Thirdly is S73 have decided to jack it in.

So just to put into perspective @Heronhow much did the Dortmund display or similar cost  approximately? Even just a rough ballpark figure.

Not after a witch hunt but very curious. Like many quite gobsmacked something of that scale would cost anywhere near £17k especially when a lot of it was recycled.

Yes. To put it in perspective it's 38k foils and foil flags. So around 45p per unit. What can you buy for 45p nowadays?

Spirit of 37 may have had an initial display plan that they later changed once they realised they could raise more than initially planned. That volume of foils or foil flags would have taken some time to be produced if not already stocked and bear in mind delivery would have had to take place over Christmas. I cannot say how many were re-used from their remembrance display so that's anyone's guess (apart from their group).

Seems to me folk who've never looked at the coast of these things or attempted to order that volume of them are throwing about terrible accusations tbh. I hate S*nderland as much as the next person but I don't think it's fair on the folk doing the displays to have such serious allegations made against them with seemingly no evidence.

Have to think how I'd feel if similar comments were made about Wor Flags.

Edited by Heron

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Absolutely.

Their only measure is against us, they're seemingly as happy when we lose as when they win - just weird behaviour.

Obviously, it's come back to bite them about all these claims that we're not fan funded, etc. They've been naive at best at times in their comments. I'd like to think our responses and banter has been measured as a group.

Just been reading that thread on RTG and their patter is utter shite like. Basically anyone who criticises the display is a Mag and should be banned, Wor Flags think they were the first to ever do a Tifo. So37 has been around for 6 years apparently and some of their fans who regularly go to football matches around Europe think that was the best Tifo they've ever seen.

:lol:

Fucking give owa.

One thing I will say, is that the display they get a lot of plaudits for - the cats eyes - was actually club funded and nowt to do with SO37. They done the one in the stand with the old away end. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

One thing I will say, is that the display they get a lot of plaudits for - the cats eyes - was actually club funded and nowt to do with SO37. They done the one in the stand with the old away end. :lol: 

Thing is I don't mind saying it was a decent display. Or if it was good against us I'd say "yi kna what it is, fair fucks" but they absolutely would never do that. There's always a reason why ours aren't as good or our fans attempts would be discredited. Find it a weird behaviour when it's grown adults.

That one yesterday though was fairly shite. No real message, poorly executed letters and other than that straight lines in Red and Silver.

Nowt too wrong with using Silver tbf, but I just wouldn't have in the derby personally.

Edited by Heron

2 hours ago, Heron said:

Thing is I don't mind saying it was a decent display. Or if it was good against us I'd say "yi kna what it is, fair fucks" but they absolutely would never do that. There's always a reason why ours aren't as good or our fans attempts would be discredited. Find it a weird behaviour when it's grown adults.

That one yesterday though was fairly shite. No real message, poorly executed letters and other than that straight lines in Red and Silver.

Nowt too wrong with using Silver tbf, but I just wouldn't have in the derby personally.

Some of them are saying shit like “it was only like that because the club made us do pro Sunderland” and that is the issue.

It is a derby, they were huge under dogs and they should’ve been getting behind their team. The fact that their first thought was us, and the pathetic Sports Washed TIFO speaks volumes. The club saved them from an embarrassment, as much as the moronic football whoppers on Twitter would’ve lapped it up. 

We are their world. 

2 hours ago, Heron said:

They had one against Coventry at the start of last season that I thought was excellent. 

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

They had one against Coventry at the start of last season that I thought was excellent. 

I seen that one. Was excellent. 

A 3D Jimmy Hill getting raped off a jaguar wearing Bob Stokoes hat and gabardine mac, iirc

7 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Take this back, I no longer feel sorry for them. Just seen one of their main gadgies is someone who is completely and utterly obsessed with us. Fuck him and his shite display. :lol: 

24 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Looking forward to the Tyneside! display against Man City, like! 

With wonky font and the fruits of @Heron’s raiding of the Byker Household Waste Recycling Centre?