Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Kaka is right in thinking we have to play long ball stuff and sacrifice our best striker by a mile just because Jack Colback's in the team? You get thicker by the day, like, Ian.

Would you care to offer an explanation for our move to a more direct style?

Kaka is right in thinking we have to play long ball stuff and sacrifice our best striker by a mile just because Jack Colback's in the team? You get thicker by the day, like, Ian.

He's right that Benitez won't consider an alternative to Colback, and he's right that Colback makes it harder to play better passing football. Sheesh.

Would you care to offer an explanation for our move to a more direct style?

It's either due to an injury to Gayle leaving Daryl Murphy as the best option up front, or getting the best/negating the worst out of Jack fucking Colback. Easy to be completely stumped as to which is more likely to provoke Rafa Benitez into changing the system, like.

Guest neesy111

Didn't we win loads of games in a row whenever Colback was in the side earlier in the season? It's very simplistic to say he's the only reason for the change in style

I think it's more to do with confidence of the side and how teams are setting up against us.

Guest neesy111

If Gayle was fully fit and up to speed there's absolutely no chance he'd have started on the bench.

I disagree with that, he was fit enough to start vs Fulham.  I think Rafa started Murphy as he suits the way in which we are playing at the moment. 

If Gayle was fully fit and up to speed there's absolutely no chance he'd have started on the bench.

I disagree with that, he was fit enough to start vs Fulham.  I think Rafa started Murphy as he suits the way in which we are playing at the moment.

Murphy's in better form than Gayle at the moment, regardless of the system.

Has the system really changed that much by the way since Murphy's come into the team? Shelvey still looks to hit it long for Gayle a lot of the time; the only difference I see is it goes over the top rather than at his head as it does for Murphy.

It's a bit harsh on Gayle to say Murphy is in better form than him when Gayle has averaged a goal a game or something like that all season

He was poor against Fulham (mainly because the whole team were terrible) but he did score against Huddersfield and not had much chance to build up form.

It's a bit harsh on Gayle to say Murphy is in better form than him when Gayle has averaged a goal a game or something like that all season

He was poor against Fulham (mainly because the whole team were terrible) but he did score against Huddersfield and not had much chance to build up form.

Well aye, obviously Gayle's been the better over the course of the season. Over the past few games though, Murphy's been one of our better performers whereas Gayle hasn't featured much and, IMO, hasn't quite looked up to speed yet when he has. Agree though that Gayle hasn't had much of a chance to get going again.

Guest neesy111

Him starting a game isn't evidence he's fully fit though, if anything him starting one game and being on the bench the next is a sign he's not. He's obviously fully recovered from his injury but that's different.

If he isn't fully fit, he shouldn't be starting games when they are fully fit strikers.  For me, Murphy's been our stand out performer over the last 5 games and actually offers us something different upfront.

Gayle will start scoring again pretty soon I reckon. The two week rest should do him good and his goals could well start turning these stuttering performances into wins just like they did in the first half of the season. He was sniffing around even in the 20 mins or so he was on on Saturday.

Guest neesy111

Gayle will start scoring again pretty soon I reckon. The two week rest should do him good and his goals could well start turning these stuttering performances into wins just like they did in the first half of the season. He was sniffing around even in the 20 mins or so he was on on Saturday.

Might be useful to get a couple of behind closed door games for him.

What an incredible way to interpret what I said.

I actually agree with what you said, but was just stating that i could not see how we could improve our style of play with Colback in there, because he kills our midfield play, which is vital to an improved style.

I said nothing about continuing to play long ball, or continuing to play Murphy. I mean ... I don't even know what to say to that at all.

I want Colback out of there, whether for Mbemba or whoever. That is my frustration really.

He's right that Benitez won't consider an alternative to Colback, and he's right that Colback makes it harder to play better passing football. Sheesh.

Thanks man. It was really that simple.

Didn't we win loads of games in a row whenever Colback was in the side earlier in the season? It's very simplistic to say he's the only reason for the change in style

Colback and Hayden were rotated frequently during that run.

In my opinion our style of play has never really looked good this season. Not at all consistently anyway. For 5 mins spurts here and there perhaps.

When Colback is in there it always looks worse from my point of view anyway. Even with Hayden, it isn't great either, but at least we don't get dominated as much, and aren't as fragile defensively, which at least allows us a bit more control of games, regardless of how well we are actually using the ball.

Colback and Hayden were rotated frequently during that run.

I know that but I thought there was a different stat where we had won loads of games in a row when Colback played as well?