Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Ironically, Gayle could be a very handy impact sub for top clubs, where the team doesn't need him to build up plays.  He is just not suited to teams that cannot dominate the game I.e. us at this moment.

We absolutely can't sell Dwight, unless we're somehow bringing in 2 strikers. He's going to be very useful to us this season.

We would have to buy someone instantly but remember Ashley n co usually sell a player right at the dead as they prefer money in the bank to assets on the pitch.

We absolutely can't sell Dwight, unless we're somehow bringing in 2 strikers. He's going to be very useful to us this season.

We would have to buy someone instantly but remember Ashley n co usually sell a player right at the dead as they prefer money in the bank to assets on the pitch.

and then that money is just forgotten at the next window.

and then that money is just forgotten at the next window.

Yep money in the bank is more important.

Guest chopey

I'm amazed that some people would sell Gayle, especially taking into account our past form for replacing sold players -

Andy Carroll - Not replaced.

Demba Ba - Not replaced.

Cabaye - Colback

I take your point but with the form of Mitro and the fact that its Rafa I suspect he has something lined up

Ironically, Gayle could be a very handy impact sub for top clubs, where the team doesn't need him to build up plays.  He is just not suited to teams that cannot dominate the game I.e. us at this moment.

If you look at the teams that dominate games, their strikers are a vital part of that. Joselu is a major reason we dominated against West Ham for example

I'm amazed that some people would sell Gayle, especially taking into account our past form for replacing sold players -

Andy Carroll - Not replaced.

Demba Ba - Not replaced.

Cabaye - Colback

I take your point but with the form of Mitro and the fact that its Rafa I suspect he has something lined up

He might very well do but i don't trust Ashley and his lackies one bit.  They appear to be trying sicken Rafa into resigning like they did with Keegan, selling our top scorer and not replacing him would probably do the trick.

If you look at the teams that dominate games, their strikers are a vital part of that. Joselu is a major reason we dominated against West Ham for example

I know, that's why I was shouting for keeping Mitrovic last season even if he didn't know how to score.

Poor man Michael Owen?

Agree with this.

think if you are playing 1 up front you are better having somebody who can play with their back to goal- hold it up lay it off etc. Gayle is more a chasing longer balls type player.

Get rid of Gayle but keep Mitro?

Gayle scored 23 goals last season in 32 appearances. He'd more than likely have been the top scorer in the Championship if he hadn't been injured for a lot of the season.

Amazing that people have written him off as not being suited to the Premiership and that he can't play up front on his own. He's played 2 Premiership games and he's not 100% fit (in his mind if not physically).

Don't think anyone has written Gayle off or suddenly seen Mitro as the better option. Just a bit of speculation that (a) we would need to sell a striker to bring a better option in; (b) we'd get more for Gayle, he might not be as effective in this formation in this league, plus it's all gone a bit weird/seems a bit wrong re him at the mo.  Dwight to The Whites and Das Bost in on Thursday night  ;)

It seems to be down to something going on behind the scenes though. Like Gayle not being happy about something. In any case, I feel like Gayle is a brilliant player in the Championship, but pretty average in this league. Would be a very good option from the bench, but would he be happy about it?

Guest firetotheworks

£20m would be great if we didn't then have to buy within the same market. Rafa would really have to be sure on getting someone else in that he thinks would improve us and within that price range.

All hypothetical like, I don't believe the story and I also think that if we sold him, he wouldn't be replaced.