Dwight Gayle (now playing for Hibernian)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

657 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

This poll is closed to new votes

This whole situation is madness to me.

1. Why would we want to sell our best striker?

2. Why would Gayle not want to play in the Premier League?

3. Why isn't he playing, if he's fit?

4. In what universe could we get a decent replacement this late on?

5. Why would Rafa risk ending up with nobody, when all summer he's been saying the squad needs to be stronger?

6. What kind of state is Gayle going to be in if we now don't sell him?

None of it makes sense. Basically the only things I can think of are a massive bust-up behind the scenes (can't see how that wouldn't get out) or he's just really fragile mentally and can't hack the pressure of playing at the top level (not sure why we'd only be realising this now, and be willing to give up on him so quickly).

5. Why would Rafa risk ending up with nobody, when all summer he's been saying the squad needs to be stronger?

None of it makes sense to me. Basically the only things I can think of are a massive bust-up behind the scenes (can't see how that wouldn't get out) or he's just quite fragile mentally and can't hack the pressure of playing at the top level (not sure why we only be realising this realise now, and be willing to give up on him so quickly).

tbf RTG were crowing at the weekend about a training ground bust up with Rafa and one of our key players, so bad that you'd be expecting the player to leave. Pinch of salt, broken clock etc...but sounds plausible.

None of it makes sense. Basically the only things I can think of are a massive bust-up behind the scenes (can't see how that wouldn't get out) or he's just really fragile mentally and can't hack the pressure of playing at the top level (not sure why we'd only be realising this now, and be willing to give up on him so quickly).

Yup. All points that continue to baffle me. This club, man.

Only playing devil's advocate here, but...

1. To raise money for a better, more proven and consistent replacement? (:yao:)

2. I haven't seen any piece saying he doesn't, but if so, maybe he thinks with his recent injuries and fitness he's not cut out for the physicality of it? :dontknow:

3. Maybe he just isn't fit? I didn't think he was vs Spurs or Huddersfield tbh.

4. No idea. Best we could hope for imo is something like Origi on loan, providing he isn't really included in Liverpool's bid for Lemar, or the bid doesn't exist at all.

5. He must have someone lined up if he were to sell, surely? The hierarchy have history (Carroll) but he wouldn't let it happen. If it did or he isn't confident of getting a replacement, he'd either leave or these stories wouldn't be around.

6. More of the same maybe. Unconfident in his own hamstrings, so not able to play at lengths.

Apparently he kept clutching and rubbing his hamstring and Rafa called out 'Tight Gayle' and everyone laughed and he kept saying my name is Dwight and all the Spanish coaches laughed and the other players started hobbling and clutching their hamstring in mockery. Tight left the pitch in tears.

Apparently he kept clutching and rubbing his hamstring and Rafa called out 'Tight Gayle' and everyone laughed and he kept saying my name is Dwight and all the Spanish coaches laughed and the other players started hobbling and clutching their hamstring in mockery. Tight left the pitch in tears.

:lol: :lol:

I'm surprised so many people are open to selling him. He was deadly last season and we need someone like that in the Premier League. We massively screwed up by rushing him back and further aggravating his injury and now he's injury prone?

Give him time to recover and he'll be better than anything we're likely to buy. It seems the whole thing has been managed awfully from a pr perspective which is surprising.

Concerned at Gayle's attitude? I find that hard to believe tbph.

Newcastle’s Rafael Benítez willing to sell Dwight Gayle for £18m

• Manager concerned at striker’s attitude over this summer

• Gayle was top scorer as club won Championship last season

Rafael Benítez is ready to sell Dwight Gayle for around £18m but will not release the striker until a replacement is lined up and guaranteed to arrive at Newcastle United by Thursday evening.

Although Leeds United, who are seeking a replacement for Chris Wood at the centre forward, have apparently cooled their initial interest in Gayle, the 26-year-old does not lack admirers in the second tier. Gayle scored 23 goals in 34 second-tier games to help Benítez’s side win the Championship last season, Newcastle’s manager has been concerned by his attitude this summer.

There are fears that, although he is now physically fit, mentally, the striker has not fully recovered from a longstanding hamstring problem which resurfaced last spring. That matter could yet reduce his price to a sum nearer the £10m Newcastle paid to take Gayle from Crystal Palace last summer and much hinges on whether a satisfactory compromise can be reached.

Significantly Benítez did not even find a place on the bench for Gayle as Newcastle defeated West Ham United 3-0 last Saturday and is now leaning heavily towards selling him.

Any deal would be contingent on the arrival of at least one replacement. Benítez is very interested in the possibility of taking Divock Origi on loan from Liverpool and also wants to borrow the winger, Kenedy from Chelsea. Newcastle may also buy Vidar Orn Kjartansson, the Iceland striker, from Maccabi Tel Aviv but Origi remains their principal target.

Trouble on Tyne: Benítez and Ashley reach boiling point again at Newcastle

Read more

Matters are complicated by the Belgian proving a man in demand across Europe, with Marseille also big admirers of a player Jürgen Klopp wants to see being deployed as a first choice forward at whichever club ends up signing him for the season.

It had been thought that Benítez would sell Aleksandar Mitrovic before Thursday night but, despite enduring doubts over the Serbia striker’s temperament – he was charged with violent conduct by the FA on Tuesday following an incident involving West Ham’s Manuel Lanzini – he now appears to be inclined to keep Mitrovic ahead of Gayle.

With Newcastle’s wage bill nudging up towards £100m and the squad overblown, their manager has been instructed to do some serious pruning by Mike Ashley. The club’s owner will doubtless be duly pleased to see the centre half Grant Hanley, seemingly heading to Norwich City, where he is scheduled for a medical on Wednesday.

Another player potentially on the move is Jack Colback. The midfielder has been frozen out by Benítez – who has told a player latterly sent to train at the academy he will not be part of his 25 man Premier League squad – and could be set for a loan move to Hull City, with Newcastle paying 50% of his wages.

The guys had 120 minutes for us, probably wasn't 100% fit and played when we virtually created nothing for him in 2 awful team performances. Gayle needs to stay, stupid to get rid, even more so with 2 days to go. He'll score goals and we need him.

I'm surprised so many people are open to selling him. He was deadly last season and we need someone like that in the Premier League. We massively screwed up by rushing him back and further aggravating his injury and now he's injury prone?

Give him time to recover and he'll be better than anything we're likely to buy. It seems the whole thing has been managed awfully from a pr perspective which is surprising.

Lethal over 9 months ago, that's the concern. Massive injury doubt for me.

The guys had 120 minutes for us, probably wasn't 100% fit and played when we virtually created nothing for him in 2 awful team performances. Gayle needs to stay, stupid to get rid, even more so with 2 days to go. He'll score goals and we need him.

Harsh on the performance vs Spurs iyam.

The Guardian says our wage bill is close to £100 million !! that cant be true.

In the 2016 accounts it was £75m, can't see it having gone up a third with relegation and selling Wijnaldum, Sissoko etc.

I really like Gayle, both as a player and a person. Met him very briefly at Bristol City away last season and he seems like a really decent bloke.

No idea why we're considering flogging him, it can only be fitness related imo. The timing of it is odd though, days after he was dropped and with only a few days of the window remaining. I mean if it was fitness related, that isn't new news.

That's probably not far off how many games Gayle's started in the Premier League. :lol:

(exaggerating but still)

29. :lol:

At least Gayle's done the business in our shirt. Point is it's a ridiculous gamble and a million miles from this supposed 'if we can get a proven striker...' theory.

Gayle: 29 (37) - 15 goals

Origi: 21 (30) - 12 goals

Not too dissimilar. If we can get £18m or whatever, loan Origi and then buy a keeper, left-back and number 10 with the £25m or whatever from Gayle, Hanley, De Jong & Riviere, then I'd say that's a cracking bit of business.

Just one problem though. :yao: