Jesús Gámez

U2

Guest neesy111

He was signed pre-empting Janmaat leaving early in the summer. We probably didn't think Yedlin would be available to us.  He's been injured at the start of the season and can't find a way back in.  There's nothing dodgy about it

Just because someone is walking fine doesn't mean they don't have a bad injury.  Very likely he's having to heal a tear of some sort.

He was signed pre-empting Janmaat leaving early in the summer. We probably didn't think Yedlin would be available to us.  He's been injured at the start of the season and can't find a way back in.  There's nothing dodgy about it

Just because someone is walking fine doesn't mean they don't have a bad injury.  Very likely he's having to heal a tear of some sort.

You've quoted my wrong post. It's also why I said 'noticeable'. I'm fully aware people can have injuries that aren't visible to the naked eye.

Signed him to lavish praise on us from the sidelines through Twitter.

Aye, loves using escalation marks even more than middle aged women on Facebook. Love from me, John and the kids!! xxxxxx

"Escalation marks"

:lol: Don't N-O at work, kids.

• 1 month later...

Up and until he was stretchered off on Saturday I thought he looked really good....  Slightly lacking in pace when he was turned on ball during the first half but, other than that I thought he looked the real deal.

Thoughts?

Up and until he was stretchered off on Saturday I thought he looked really good....  Slightly lacking in pace when he was turned on ball during the first half but, other than that I thought he looked the real deal.

Thoughts?

I thought he was very average, was quite regularly caught out of position and his lack of left foot really hindered us

Funny how different people can take a different perspective from the game.

I thought his timing for tackles looked very good and his composure on the ball was an asset, I am quite used to seeing Dummet backing off until he has no options left....  yes Gamez was out of position a few times and that is where the lack of pace looked worse but, I thought he looked quite a classy player, was never really worried about him being exposed on the ball.

I really didn't notice the lack of a left foot, looked like he had one of each to me from where I was sitting...  :lol:

• 8 months later...

Dragging this one up from the depths of page five.

Very little news about a potential transfer out for Gamez and he's ahead of Haidara and Lazaar in the pecking order.

Do we reckon he's staying?

Very little news about a potential transfer out for Gamez and he's ahead of Haidara and Lazaar in the pecking order.

Why not? I've never seen him or Lazaar so hard to draw a conclusion really, but if he's ahead of Haidara it's not really saying much. We really need to buy some quality in these areas, it's the only answer in the long term.

Why not? I've never seen him or Lazaar so hard to draw a conclusion really, but if he's ahead of Haidara it's not really saying much. We really need to buy some quality in these areas, it's the only answer in the long term.

His attitude seems excellent and he was obviously a Rafa buy, but the bloke was barely trusted to play in the league below, so it's difficult to know whether he's up to the task in the Premier League.

I just find his situation an interesting one really, and was keen to get others' thoughts.

There's no mention of him in Hardy's book on Rafa, but a bit from Douglas':

"Jesus Gamez, from Atletico Madrid, made it four new arrivals within a week. He was an experienced player intended to imbue professionalism in the squad and - again - to offer competition among defenders. He did not play much. Benitez would probably admit that it took Gamez longer to adapt than expected."

EDIT: The reason I got to thinking about him was because I noticed that he was the outfield player with the fewest minutes so far in pre-season, discounting the ones who are clearly surplus to requirements (Krul, Haidara, Riviere, etc.) and those who have been injured (Lascelles, Ritchie, etc.)

Lazaar and Gamez are a strange couple of signings mind. You would expect someone like Rafa to be able to judge a player who comes from abroad and whether they could adapt quickly or not. Players like Manquillo and Merino will have to adjust as well so you would hope they do it better.

I'm not sure we were in such a great position to attract players last summer, especially on the scale that Rafa clearly thought we had to.

Jury's still out on Gamez, but it appears that Lazaar was a busted flush.