Newcastle 3-2 Vitesse Arnhem FT

Magpie

Really like the look of Gayle. Reminds me of Craig Bellamy the way he chases what look like lost causes and never seems to give up, hoping he'll have a great season for us.

First half was excellent, second half very sloppy. Thought Gamez looked a bit dodgy when he came on too, Nathan (?) flew past him 2 or 3 times late in the second half.

Hayden played well first half I thought, faded in the second. Seems like the sort of player who's just there to break up play and lay off a simple pass but he looks calm when on the ball and doesn't mind sticking his foot in either. Made a brilliant block in our box near the end of the first half when one of their players had an open goal from a few yards out.

Think he'll do OK for us this year :thup:

Really like the look of Gayle. Reminds me of Craig Bellamy the way he chases what look like lost causes and never seems to give up, hoping he'll have a great season for us.

First half was excellent, second half very sloppy. Thought Gamez looked a bit dodgy when he came on too, Nathan (?) flew past him 2 or 3 times late in the second half.

how pacy would you say gayle is?

Rapid, a lot quicker than I expected. Was one point in the first half where we launched a ball forward over the top of their defence, Gayle must've been at least 10 yards behind the CB and in the space of a few seconds he'd beat him to it and got brought down to win us a FK. Think he'll win us a lot of FK's like that over the course of the season.

Rapid, a lot quicker than I expected. Was one point in the first half where we launched a ball forward over the top of their defence, Gayle must've been at least 10 yards behind the CB and in the space of a few seconds he'd beat him to it and got brought down to win us a FK. Think he'll win us a lot of FK's like that over the course of the season.

encouraging to hear :thup:

Was impressed with Gayle, Richie and Hayden, also thought Anita was excellent. I thought the scoreline flattered them, especially after the 1st half.

Not so impressed with Armstrong, Gamez and Janmaat. Mitrovic......what can you say.

We definitely still need a left back and central midfielder

Was impressed with Gayle, Richie and Hayden, also thought Anita was excellent. I thought the scoreline flattered them, especially after the 1st half.

Not so impressed with Armstrong, Gamez and Janmaat. Mitrovic......what can you say.

Did you see what happened with him and the CB when he went down?

I'm Mitro's biggest fan but it is getting annoying when he's getting involved in silly little incidents like that, especially in pre season.

Thought we looked good 1st half, only concern for me is Ritchie whipping really good balls in to the middle during open play but with Ayoze, Gayle and Anita in there there wasn't much height. We had a lovely move 2nd half that started from the centre backs, one/two touch passing all the way up the pitch and Ritchie should have finished it off.  May not mean much but Sterry was always at the front of the subs' warmup before the game and was constantly asking to do moe with the coaches at half time, was good to see and he looked decent in the 2nd half. Not the worst thing to concede two goals as it will make sure they improve in set piece areas for the next coming weeks.  Game completely lost any pattern the last 15/20 mins.

Was a bit mad at the end, a kid (about 13 years old) ran onto the pitch and slid on his knees, one of the stewards really aggressively wrestled him further to the floor (there was no need with that level of aggression) and Lascelles ran over to calm things down and make sure the kid was alright.

Mitro's hold up play was absolutely fine, obviously UncleBingo doesn't like him so wouldn't say that

Guest chopey

Gayle looks very lively, Richie is a quality grafter, Hanley is a big lump and needs to act like one, Hayden is quality but loses concentration, Gamez got caught out to easy, Saivet looked very comfortable on the ball, Sels is average and gets bullied in the box very easily need Krul back

Also their left back looked a good player number 8 Asian looking fella.

Did you see what happened with him and the CB when he went down?

I'm Mitro's biggest fan but it is getting annoying when he's getting involved in silly little incidents like that, especially in pre season.

Nothing, Mitro ran passed him and the CB went down thinking he was in on goal.

Guest Howaythetoon

First impressions...

Gayle looks really sharp and very quick. He looks decent in the air as well and seems an instinctive finisher. At one point he was way behind the defender during a move but made ground on him in seconds resulting in the defender fouling him. He should score 15 + in this division.

Ritchie looks a very good player too, hard working, quick, direct, good feet, doesn't give up possession easily and whips in a good cross. Looks a goal threat too.

The lad from Arsenal is good in possession and seems mobile, he can get forward too. Very easy on the eye.

The new 'keeper looks suspect to me, dodgy kicking, poor commanding his box etc. Early days though.

Anita was the best player for us I thought, he will be a mainstay under Rafa who clearly likes him.

Perez looks slow and many a time he seemed to struggle getting the ball out of his feet.

In general though we played some good stuff and look strong despite soft goals that were conceded. We should be far too strong for many in the division.

Let's see though eh.

I took the boys, they kind of liked it and were wowed by the green of the pitch and the vastness of the stadium.

Thought shelvey and saveit were the best central midfield pairing today. Saveit sat which allowed shelvey to get forward.

Good to see Saivet involved, although it looks like he's going to be behind Hayden in the pecking order for a midfield anchor role. May the best man win.

Guest chopey

Thought shelvey and saveit were the best central midfield pairing today. Saveit sat which allowed shelvey to get forward.

I thought Saviet looked very good on the ball

Guest Howaythetoon

My 4 year old actually rooted for the away side due to sharing the same colours as his fave Transformer Bumblebee. I told him he had to support Newcastle, but wearing blue and orange to him it wasn't Newcastle. They are black and white dad not blue and orange he said. The 2 year old probably enjoyed it more, the oldest slept for 15 minutes not long after th break.

It felt good by the way, just going without hating everything about the place and club and players and manager. Being there not so much to support as its a friendly, but to at least show an interest. Having the boys there was extra special because that's what a dad is meant to do, take his bairns to the footy....