Newcastle Utd 1 - 2 Huddersfield Town - 13/08/16 - Post-match reaction from p24

Kaizero

I was there today, a few points:

Rafa's got an absolutely massive rebuilding job on; way bigger than I assumed, tbh. We might be the big fish in a little pond in terms of attendances and recent history; but we've been a bad football team for years now; and it's so embedded in our DNA that it looks like it's going to take a season to shake it off. We look like a team that's used to losing.

I'm seriously concerned about Lascelles; even at this level. He's too slow; and he's not clever enough positionally to make up for it. We're going to have a lot of possession this season and teams are going to counter us, like they did today. You need quick defenders to counteract that; Lascelles today looked like latter day Colo without the positional awareness (much better in the air though, obvs). Gayle looks ok but his first touch is very inconsistent; Shelvey thinks about the long glamour pass first and the situation second. Dummet was just s***, approaching a player in possession completely square on and getting rinsed. Diame looks slow. We're massively missing a target man.

f***; that was depressing.

I was there too and this is pretty much spot on.

Forgot how slow Lascelles is. Thought Mbemba tried to drive us forward in the 2nd half but it was absolutely abysmal stuff from him for their 2nd goal and cost us the game.

He wasn't the reason we lost today but the ref was absolutely awful today again

Mbemba loses it, but Lascelles should never allow their player to run off him like he did. He should be in total control of that situation, just drop off a yard or two if you need to, their player just ran around him. I played at centre half for years and I'm slow as f***; you need to know your limitations.

Mbemba should have pulled their lad down and given away a free kick to prevent him from playing the pass

Boggles the mind how bad our full-backs are tbh.

Janmaat - Might as well just play him as a winger, he hasn't got a clue how to defend. Debuchy is twice the player he is which says a lot  :lol:

Dummett - No point persisting with him, total bombscare every time he gets the ball, and hopelessly ineffective going forward. The lad is clearly so low in confidence that it's almost painful watching him.

Guest neesy111

Boos at half time today btw. After 45 mins of our home campaign [emoji38]

Never heard that mind. Muted booing at full time for a few seconds followed by half hearted applause where I was sat.

You are deaf, it was clear at both times.

Never heard that mind. Muted booing at full time for a few seconds followed by half hearted applause where I was sat.

It was muted at best as was the atmosphere in general. If you heard the Boos I assumed you also heard the mild applause at the end as well, or are you deaf?

Guest neesy111

It was muted at best as was the atmosphere in general. If you heard the Boos I assumed you also heard the mild applause at the end as well, or are you deaf?

There wasn't much applause at all throughout the game.

Nor booing.

The players didn't help like, they served up an absolutely awful performance which included not being able to control easy passes, passes being underhit and bobbling towards players as well as no urgency at all in their play

Guest neesy111

Nor booing.

There was booing at both hands, anyone in the strawberry corner will confirm it.

The players didn't help like, they served up an absolutely awful performance which included not being able to control easy passes, passes being underhit and bobbling towards players as well as no urgency at all in their play

The team gave the crowd nothing to feed off whatsoever. They played it at pre season friendly pace.

Nor booing.

There was booing at both hands, anyone in the strawberry corner will confirm it.

I was in the East Stand (block F) right next to the Strawberry corner. Mild booing and then applause from that section of the ground at full time. They deserved more stick than that in all honesty.

Boos at half time today btw. After 45 mins of our home campaign :lol:

2nd game though, both absolute rubbish. Our spine is awful, Sels looks iffy, Lascelles hasn't been good or a leader, Shelvey doesn't work hard enough for this league, Anita isn't good or big enough, Hayden doesn't look good enough and Gayle simply will not work by himself.

I could go on about others as well but the bottom line is that we are ponderous in possession , have no goal threat and are likely to make a mistake at the back. I'm expecting incoming transfers and Rafa to be ruthless. Quite simply; we've been awful. Rafa or not, it's been unacceptable. We've not created many chances and we've missed a couple of sitters (Ritchie should have scored in both games).

The lack of pace in our play is very worrying. We are far too easy to defend against and at this level that should not be the case.

Our 'front 4' from last year

Mitrovic

Wijnaldum Sissoko Townsend

Whatever you think about there attitudes etc we are missing the quality these players bring, albeit sometimes in glimpses

We replaced Townsend with Anita in the lineup today

Not liking the comments about Lascelles. Maybe the pressure of being captain is having a negative affect, because he was playing really well at the end of last season.

He was never that good? He was 4th choice cb at times behind Colo, Mbemba, Taylor

It's ridiculous that he's captain tbh

Not liking the comments about Lascelles. Maybe the pressure of being captain is having a negative affect, because he was playing really well at the end of last season.

He was exposed too many times today, got caught out of position, drawn into challenge which he lost and got turned and more importantly he wasn't vocal and he didn't look like a leader.

Forgot how slow Lascelles is. Thought Mbemba tried to drive us forward in the 2nd half but it was absolutely abysmal stuff from him for their 2nd goal and cost us the game.

He wasn't the reason we lost today but the ref was absolutely awful today again

Mbemba loses it, but Lascelles should never allow their player to run off him like he did. He should be in total control of that situation, just drop off a yard or two if you need to, their player just ran around him. I played at centre half for years and I'm slow as f***; you need to know your limitations.

Mbemba should have pulled their lad down and given away a free kick to prevent him from playing the pass

Yeah, both were at fault.