Newcastle Utd 1 - 2 Huddersfield Town - 13/08/16 - Post-match reaction from p24

Kaizero

Not liking the comments about Lascelles. Maybe the pressure of being captain is having a negative affect, because he was playing really well at the end of last season.

I think it was very different in terms of the flow of the game though. If we're sat deep and he can see everything in front of him he's ok, but when people are running at him and off him and he's retreating towards goal he's out of his depth.

the standard of refereeing in the championship...

...is something we should already have accounted for.

no, it was just a general comment. had nowt to do with today's defeat but i just felt it was awful.

On one hand, I appreciate this crop of players need time to gel, so we shouldn't panic.

On the other, the longer this goes on, the lower confidence is going to be, in a team already bereft of confidence from the last few years.

Is it any better in the premier league like???

Can't see what the referee had to do with our defeat today, we were slow and predictable and lack any presence whatsoever up front.

Aarons, Anita, Diame and Dummett were utter shite.

...is something we should already have accounted for.

no, it was just a general comment. had nowt to do with today's defeat but i just felt it was awful.

Nah I agree with you, the standard is generally wank. I was referring to their leniency (or maybe it's just failure to spot things) which is markedly different in this league and yet our players are still expecting the same soft fouls to be given. Annoying as fuck.

He wasn't the reason we lost but the ref didn't once punish their keeper for timewasting despite taking ages on goal kicks. Their players kept going off for drinks breaks too and the ref didn't try to hurry them up at all. No idea how there was only 4 mins added time at FT

How on Earth their left back didn't get a yellow for scything down Ritchie I have no idea.  He got a yellow card later too so could have been two yellows and a red. He was so weak

He wasn't the reason we lost but the ref didn't once punish their keeper for timewasting despite taking ages on goal kicks. Their players kept going off for drinks breaks too and the ref didn't try to hurry them up at all. No idea how there was only 4 mins added time at FT

How on Earth their left back didn't get a yellow for scything down Ritchie I have no idea.  He got a yellow card later too so could have been two yellows and a red. He was so weak

He did add 4 minutes on for it at the end though. Couldn't have been for anything else as I can't recall many stoppages.

"We weren't expecting this kind of performance, we knew Huddersfield would be difficult to break down but we didn't play at the level we wanted to. We improved a lot in the second half but it's really disappointing.

"I've seen the team doing well in training but we have to show the same things in the match the quality the personality and the character. We've not seen that today.

“We made too many mistakes and we need to show that character and quality to improve things. The players on the pitch they were trying they are good players. The players can do much better but we didn't play at the level we were expecting. The only positive today was the fans, they were behind the players.”

We did not improve a lot in the second half like, not even close.

Thought we did. We weren't good, but we had a bit of spark for a period, mostly through Ritchie.

He did add 4 minutes on for it at the end though. Couldn't have been for anything else as I can't recall many stoppages.

Well 5 substitutes equals 2 and a half minutes. So that's one and a half minutes for timewasting which was nowhere near enough