Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

Guest neesy111

I wouldn't call Atsu a young player tbh, if he has more potential then it should had showed by now for a 25 year old.

I wouldn't call Atsu a young player tbh, if he has more potential then it should had showed by now for a 25 year old.

A fair point, but you could argue that he's still in that bracket of players who still haven't quite found their feet. There is talent there. £6m seems fairly low risk in today's market.

Guest neesy111

A fair point, but you could argue that he's still in that bracket of players who still haven't quite found their feet. There is talent there. £6m seems fairly low risk in today's market.

That's true, but he's not exactly been a first choice for us as well this season with Gouffran preferred.  Just feel there's something missing from him, I suspect we will evaluate our options and targets first before making a decision on him.

That's true, but he's not exactly been a first choice for us as well this season with Gouffran preferred.  Just feel there's something missing from him, I suspect we will evaluate our options and targets first before making a decision on him.

We're unlikely to bring in two players for his position and Gouffran is almost certainly going so keeping Atsu would make sense.

:thup:

A lot of people certainly on social media seem to be now bigging him up saying we should sign him.

I think you have to look across the full season, hes not offered much on the wing in the championship a lot of the time, so what makes people think at 25, he will be good enough for the top flight?

I like him but he rarely beats a man even with that pace he has and needs acres of space to pull anything off, which he won't get in the premier league anyway.

Not worth it IMO.

Are people wanting to sign him because of the free-kick like? :lol:

I got the impression most people thought he wasn't good enough for the Premier League. I mean I'd be happy to take him on loan again but if it's 6m I'm not too sure, I'm not sure he's done enough.

I like him but he rarely beats a man even with that pace he has and needs acres of space to pull anything off, which he won't get in the premier league anyway.

Disagree with that, teams give opponents space in the PL all the time. Besides considering we'll likely go into most games as the underdog even if they didn't we'll likely be given more opportunities to counter attack than we have been afforded this season anyway.

I got the impression most people thought he wasn't good enough for the Premier League. I mean I'd be happy to take him on loan again but if it's 6m I'm not too sure, I'm not sure he's done enough.

I have personally thought we should sign him all season so no, 6m gets you fuck all in this day and age as evidenced by the fact Mitrovic cost double that.

If you think we can do a lot better for that amount of money for someone who could likely contribute quite a lot to the squad then fair enough but I doubt it.

I think some of you are quick to forget how much trash we have had at this club, we can and probably will do a lot worse.

I have personally thought we should sign him all season so no, 6m gets you fuck all in this day and age as evidenced by the fact Mitrovic cost double that.

If you think we can do a lot better for that amount of money for someone who could likely contribute quite a lot to the squad then fair enough but I doubt it.

I think some of you are quick to forget how much trash we have had at this club, we can and probably will do a lot worse.

Also people who say we can do better are not really giving it enough thought. Wide players are notoriously difficult to buy because not only do they need a combination of pace ideally, but also end product and a work ethic. Think back to how many we have managed to sign successfully in the last few years.

Atsu isn't the finished product but he's got at least two of those attributes in finishing and pace. If we can get a better player I'm all for it, but we haven't got one at the moment.

Up to Rafa really. Doesn't look great for him right now unless we can get another loan. £6m isn't much these days but we've got to focus on key players right now not squad. The squad is big enough, it lacks quality though.

Firmly in the not fussed bracket. The free kick was nice but pretty much a one off, he probably wont be taking them regularly and even if he is the chances of him scoring them very often if at all is pretty low. It's the overall play that counts and he's been very hit and miss.

Depends on who else is available.

presume gouffran will leave so that'll leave us with only ritchie as a wide player won't it (not counting aarons for obvious reasons)?

he's a decent age and if the fee is £6m we'd always be likely to get something like that back for him, certainly seems a decent gamble for first season back up to me we'd then hopefully have ritchie, new quality winger, atsu and aarons (counted this time obvs) as our 4 going into our first season back up

could do a lot worse imo

Not for me. I'll be disappointed if he's still here next year. I'm hoping for a better quality player than someone who hasn't been anything other than average in the Championship.

perhaps he'll settle down and improve :lol:

love how everyone is judged with absolute finality after less than a year

Didn't realise he had that kind of free kick in his locker tbh, it was brilliantly executed - might have scored a few more if he wasn't behind Shelvey and Ritchie in the set piece pecking order.

I have personally thought we should sign him all season so no, 6m gets you f*** all in this day and age as evidenced by the fact Mitrovic cost double that.

Also people who say we can do better are not really giving it enough thought. Wide players are notoriously difficult to buy because not only do they need a combination of pace ideally, but also end product and a work ethic. Think back to how many we have managed to sign successfully in the last few years.

Atsu isn't the finished product but he's got at least two of those attributes in finishing and pace. If we can get a better player I'm all for it, but we haven't got one at the moment.

:thup: I personally want to see two wingers come in, him and someone else. Get rid of Gouffran and assuming that mystery Winger is actually good it wouldn't be a bad 3 to choose from along with Ritchie.

I have personally thought we should sign him all season so no, 6m gets you f*** all in this day and age as evidenced by the fact Mitrovic cost double that.

:thup: I personally want to see two wingers come in, him and someone else. Get rid of Gouffran and assuming that mystery Winger is actually good it wouldn't be a bad 3 to choose from along with Ritchie.

and aarons of course, who will be looking to prove himself now, i still have hope for him