Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

£6m in today's market is good value IMO. We will need a squad and he'd be a decent part of that.

:thup: it's fuck all and we can't sign hundreds of wingers. Whatever Rafa decides I'm in.

£6m in today's market is good value IMO. We will need a squad and he'd be a decent part of that.

Spot on. He's no world beater, but neither are we right now. For a newly promoted club he'd be a decent signing.

Wouldn't lose any sleep either way, but I think we could do worse for that price.

Best free-kick we've scored since Cabaye vs. Man U?

Shelvey's vs Brighton at home was a peach. Stockdale barely moved.

Gayle scored a tidy freekick earlier in the year as well

Guest neesy111

Best free-kick we've scored since Cabaye vs. Man U?

Shelvey's vs Brighton at home was a peach. Stockdale barely moved.

Gayle vs Reading for me.

I like him when he finds those little pockets of space inside. He's really not a traditional winger at all.

I was saying this in the match thread, he was running into some great positions then not getting the delivery in. But he's scored two cracking goals in the last two games, at his age he would probably be worth a gamble.

We can definitely do better but he'd be adequate as squad backup. I'd take him as a 4th choice winger. He's useful in the sense that he has a turn of pace and can beat a player - we're going to be playing a lot of counter next year, I imagine, so he'd certainly have his place. Scored a decent return considering his playing time too.

I think he's a confidence player. Seemed to play with a lot of freedom tonight and was expressing himself a lot more than he has been. The freekick was a beaut.

People say we can do better, but I doubt it (6m for an ok backup winger). If we had a much more offensive LB providing tons of forward runs and width then I think Atsu could be more effective if allowed to drift inwards a bit  more often. We have a few areas to spend cash on and I'm not sure we can afford to spend tons on squad players. Put the money on a proper starting LW and other positions first.

I can't see us paying that for a backup​winger like.

So you think we'll start next season with only two wingers in our squad? Ritchie and a new LW? I'm not including Aarons.

Wouldn't be against retaining him, like.

Him, Perez, Lascelles, Yedlin, Hayden - all the young players who've shown flashes (at the very least) this year... if all five of them happen to just click at the same time, there's five potentially really decent players there. Hayden and Perez being the ones most likely to do so.

Guest firetotheworks

I can't see us paying that for a backup​winger like.

So you think we'll start next season with only two wingers? Ritchie and a new LW?

More that I think if we sign him for 6m he'll be starting, or in competition with another similarly priced winger.