Rate Our Summer Transfer Window

Lush Vlad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playing three times at the 2014 World Cup Finals' date=' Atsu's Ghana have qualified for the African Nations Cup Final in January - along with Momo Diame's Senegal and Achraf Lazaar's Morocco. They should be joined by DR Congo (Chancel Mbemba) in the coming hours. [/quote']

We may need to bring in one or two bodies in January, to replace the loss of these four.

I went with good.

Very good would've involved signing another Ritchie and signing a less shit striker than Daryl Murphy.

Same feelings, although I was close to very good.

When you read the in and out list on nufc.com it really is an impressive piece of squad overhaul in one window.

After going down it was always likely that we'd end up with a weaker first eleven. But in all we got good value for the players we sold, we now have a deeper, more balanced, and more competitive squad, and I think we have the players who should win us promotion, so in that sense it is job done plus a sizeable profit.

I do think the window has been good rather than great however. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and it seems churlish to suggest it would have been nice to know about the players we failed to sign simply for the sake of the knowledge we were at least trying. But in the last promotion campaign, we relied on a body of players who had been more or less awful for us in the previous season, yet could still boast established careers in Europe's top leagues - players like Coloccini, Gutierrez, Enrique, Nolan, Lovenkrands, even Harper and Taylor. Then we were boosted by the emergence of Carroll and Guthrie, made a key signing in Routledge mid-way through the season, and bolstered the squad with a few loans. It feels like we have fewer established players this time round, and have focused more on Championship experience, which I don't think is always the best way to go about getting out of the division.

The players we have kept, like Mitrovic, Perez, Mbemba, and especially Lascelles, still have a lot to prove. Ritchie looks like a fantastic signing, Hayden seems really promising and can provide a base for us in the midfield, and Diame and Gayle should be effective in this league. Without knowing enough about the two players, I'm excited by the addition of pace at full-back. With Shelvey and Colback still around I think it's a stretch to suggest we've got rid of all the dead wood or bad characters. And I'd have done without at least one of Clark, Hanley, and Gamez, plus Murphy, and given an opportunity to our own youngsters in Mbabu and Armstrong. There's a sense that we should have gone for a big attacking signing, but I think we've got just about enough given that we'll likely play with one striker, use Diame solely as an attacker, and consider Perez a potential wide option.

After going down it was always likely that we'd end up with a weaker first eleven. But in all we got good value for the players we sold, we now have a deeper, more balanced, and more competitive squad, and I think we have the players who should win us promotion, so in that sense it is job done plus a sizeable profit.

I do think the window has been good rather than great however. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and it seems churlish to suggest it would have been nice to know about the players we failed to sign simply for the sake of the knowledge we were at least trying. But in the last promotion campaign, we relied on a body of players who had been more or less awful for us in the previous season, yet could still boast established careers in Europe's top leagues - players like Coloccini, Gutierrez, Enrique, Nolan, Lovenkrands, even Harper and Taylor. Then we were boosted by the emergence of Carroll and Guthrie, made a key signing in Routledge mid-way through the season, and bolstered the squad with a few loans. It feels like we have fewer established players this time round, and have focused more on Championship experience, which I don't think is always the best way to go about getting out of the division.

The players we have kept, like Mitrovic, Perez, Mbemba, and especially Lascelles, still have a lot to prove. Ritchie looks like a fantastic signing, Hayden seems really promising and can provide a base for us in the midfield, and Diame and Gayle should be effective in this league. Without knowing enough about the two players, I'm excited by the addition of pace at full-back. With Shelvey and Colback still around I think it's a stretch to suggest we've got rid of all the dead wood or bad characters. And I'd have done without at least one of Clark, Hanley, and Gamez, plus Murphy, and given an opportunity to our own youngsters in Mbabu and Armstrong. There's a sense that we should have gone for a big attacking signing, but I think we've got just about enough given that we'll likely play with one striker, use Diame solely as an attacker, and consider Perez a potential wide option.

Agree with much of this - we have managed to get a squad which should - should - be in at the death for a promotion place and I believe that this is what has been at the forefront of Rafa's mind when buying many of these players.

The promotion attempt this year will be far different from both the previous ones during the past 24 years - the KK one was all about buccaneering attacking football, the 2009/10 model was about a group of senior pros putting right the wrongs of the previous season, aided by the emergence of a home grown young striker. Both previous promotions used many of the players involved after regaining a PL place but I cannot imagine that a number of Rafa's signings will be a major part of a successful return to the PL. Ritchie, yes, Hayden hopefully yes and one or two others ; Lascelles will hopefully develop into a PL defender and Mbemba should continue to improve, but there will be a great necessity for a couple of PL class forwards to be obtained as well as more m/f creativity so the current squad has been assembled for one reason - to obtain promotion and then to use Rafa's undoubted drawing power to sign better players once that is achieved.

The season will be full of pragmatic performances rather than all-out attacking football home and away but I believe Rafa is capable of producing this from the players he has obtained.

Outgoings 9/10..... it's a shame about Townsend and only loaning out some, but so much deadwood has left. Much-needed.

Ingoings 7/10..... I think the signings of Gayle, Ritchie, Diame, Gamez, Hanley and Lazaar are superb. Not perfect though, as Clark, Selz, Murphy, Yedlin are either unneccessary or not very good.

Overall, a very good 8.

It's been a solid window. We've spent well, we've got a new player for every position at the club. You could argue the quality about some of them could be stronger, but in general I think it's wise to have a bigger squad with more depth than a smaller one that has a couple better individuals. It's going to be a long season with a lot of games, so happy we have enough to cope now.

Guest Howaythetoon

I rate Gayle, Diame and Ritchie as Premier League quality players, albeit only to a certain level or degree. They are good solid players who we know can perform adequately at that level so I'm happy with those three.

Hayden looks like a decent prospect, but nothing more at this stage. I like what I see, however. Long term he could become a very good Premier League player.

The other British players signed are all extremely meh and are poor to average in ability for me, but I understand we have to rebuild the squad and I have faith in Rafa being able to get the most out of them and if not, they won't be around much longer.

The lad from Spurs, Chelsea and the other foreign lad - I can't say I've seen anything of them so have no real comment one way or another.

I would have liked us to have kept Tiote (assuming he does go) and got rid of Colback. A fit and motivated Tiote would absolutely destroy this league.

The loan move of Krul is very odd as Everton offered us money for him.

I'm happy to see Armstrong loaned out but I feel there is a real imbalance to our squad in terms of creativity and flare.

I'm happy with most of those that were peddled, although Townsend I was very disappointed to see leave as he could have become a genuine top-class player under Rafa. His loss though, I'm sure we will pass each other on the trajectory of success. Us upwards and onward, him downwards.

Cisse... he's not wanted to be here for a good few years, but I feel he would have scored 20 + league goals in this division with the right service and easily so. I would have kept him for his goals and then got rid once promoted.

Overall I'd say I'd rather this transfer window a 6/10. That may go up by January or down, depending on how the more newer recruits do for us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Where are you getting that Everton thing from by the way.

Can't say, but he was definitely offered a deal by them and we were offered money, good money I believe. My only reason behind him being loaned out is that he doesn't want to leave but needs first team football to get fit and that Rafa wants to give Sels a try and see where we go with him. I'm not fussed orul, I'd like to have seem him sold for money as he's regressed quite a lot.

You can generally know a shit window as soon as it's finished but it's harder to judge a good one until you've seen the players on the park. As always, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I don't think we're drastically short of anything now but that ultimately depends on whether the players we have perform.

I rate Gayle, Diame and Ritchie as Premier League quality players, albeit only to a certain level or degree. They are good solid players who we know can perform adequately at that level so I'm happy with those three.

Hayden looks like a decent prospect, but nothing more at this stage. I like what I see, however. Long term he could become a very good Premier League player.

The other British players signed are all extremely meh and are poor to average in ability for me, but I understand we have to rebuild the squad and I have faith in Rafa being able to get the most out of them and if not, they won't be around much longer.

The lad from Spurs, Chelsea and the other foreign lad - I can't say I've seen anything of them so have no real comment one way or another.

I would have liked us to have kept Tiote (assuming he does go) and got rid of Colback. A fit and motivated Tiote would absolutely destroy this league.

The loan move of Krul is very odd as Everton offered us money for him.

I'm happy to see Armstrong loaned out but I feel there is a real imbalance to our squad in terms of creativity and flare.

I'm happy with most of those that were peddled, although Townsend I was very disappointed to see leave as he could have become a genuine top-class player under Rafa. His loss though, I'm sure we will pass each other on the trajectory of success. Us upwards and onward, him downwards.

Cisse... he's not wanted to be here for a good few years, but I feel he would have scored 20 + league goals in this division with the right service and easily so. I would have kept him for his goals and then got rid once promoted.

Overall I'd say I'd rather this transfer window a 6/10. That may go up by January or down, depending on how the more newer recruits do for us.

It is very difficult to rate a Rafa transfer window as he is the ultimate believer in "system above individual talent". His style of football is demanding - physically and mentally - and it requires a reasonable squad size.

Rafa also prefers players who follow instructions to the last detail over maverick individual talent. That is his biggest strength and to a certain extent weakness. Strength because he is very good at creating teams which are greater than the sum of the parts.

I agree with you that it might be better for Newcastle if Rafa for example had coaxed Sissoko, Tiote, Cisse to perform in the championship. I maybe wrong here but I think Sir Bobby was that type of a manager, who at times could coax performance out of bad apples too. Unfortunately Rafa is not like that. He believes that players should be 110% committed to the cause naturally and any player who does not have that mentality is shipped out pronto.

In the short term it hurts. But in the longer term you will have a more professional outfit with everyone committed to the cause.

8/10 for me as well.

We've shifted the players who didn't want to be here (getting ridiculous fees for Sissoko and Wijnaldum) while also flogging the majority of the deadwood that has been lingering at the club for the past 18-24 months. We've done well to get players like Armstrong and Sterry out on loan to clubs that will only help their development and both should come back better players next summer with a chance of breaking into the first team.

The players who have been brought in all seem like they want to play for the club and aren't just using us for a stepping stone (granted it's early days) although I am concerned about the signings of Clark and possibly Hanley, I'd feel extremely wary if we were heading into a Premier League season with either in our squad next summer. Was against the Murphy signing when it was rumoured as well but see sense in the deal now and can't see him starting many games here.

10/10 for the way we handled the Moussa Sissoko deal though and the £30m fee minutes before the deadline was the icing on the cake :lol:

When you think about how much that have happened - then i think we have done well and come far in just one window.

How good the window has been is still too soon to tell. We need to see the new players first. It looks like the January window will be quiet. Maybe 1-2 out and 1-2 in.

No super stars have been bought, but decent players who can do as back up in the PL, and some who can develop into key players.

Next summer when promoted (fingers crossed) then we need to buy from the top shelves and we will have a mid table squad. And in 2 years time we should have a top 8 squad.

I think it's been a good window. We've finally had the clearout we've needed for a few years. Gayle, Ritchie and Diamé look like they'll be big signings and Hayden should grow into an important player.

Spending the best part of £20million on Clark, Hanley, Yedlin and Murphy seems like paying a premium for players who've 'proven' themselves in the English game. When, apart from Murphy, who'll do as a backup, none of them have proven much.

The squad should be good enough, but we need players to emerge and progress to be really confident. Shelvey needs to perform consistently. Lascelles needs to establish himself and cut out the mistakes. Mitro and Ayoze need to deliver on their potential. Atsu and Lazaar are unknown quanities.

There are still question marks, but I'm generally happy how the squad has shaped up.

10 for me how many clubs turned over the incomings and outgoings of  NUFC and made the changes to pull in the same direction at the same time? Looking down the periscope you can always easily reach for much better but looking up you achieved much more just to get the level that we achieved.

10 for me how many clubs turned over the incomings and outgoings of  NUFC and made the changes to pull in the same direction at the same time? Looking down the periscope you can always easily reach for much better but looking up you achieved much more just to get the level that we achieved.

Wut..