Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

They'll have Scunthorpe United next season, tragic. 

Scarborough coming from behind to win away at Chorley, get in. Would be so class if they got themselves up. Another dismal day for York, battered at home to Halifax. 

Great win for shields. Good to see them finally get up after the travesty of the leagues getting cancelled.

Good to see my home town getting to that level

Sewper Kev not managing to throw it away 👏

Edited by Ace

3 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

So they're now just 1 division below the conference now. Very well done. Not sure how much higher they can go and if they're now at their 'Ceiling'? 

I know there's more to it than attendances but with an average of 2100-ish, they're getting more folks through the turnstiles than all but a very small handful of clubs in the whole sixth tier, and would be lower mid-range of all the teams in the National League this year. 

What’s their ground like? Be good to have two teams in the Conference like. No idea what type of football they play but I’d have no issue sending youngsters to the Heed given how they like to get the ball down and play it out.

34 minutes ago, Disco said:

What’s their ground like? Be good to have two teams in the Conference like. No idea what type of football they play but I’d have no issue sending youngsters to the Heed given how they like to get the ball down and play it out.

We’ve  just built a new stand with seats on one side and then have 2 covered standing sections behind the goal. The other side of the pitch has the old small seated section as well as the marquee and pub where you can get a drink.

The level we were at they were the only professional club so had a big advantage. Generally Sewper Kev has had them playing quite negatively when they should be pushing on.

The owner seems to like the Sunderland connections rather than a potential link up with NUFC. If we can get to the conference (which is the stated aim) we’d be stupid to not try and get some players in 

Just had a look on their website and the only ex Newcastle player I recognise is Conor Newton who went on loan to St Mirren the same time as Dummett. There must be at least 5 with Sunderland connections. One of (Chairman / Owner) Geoff's sons supports Sunderland, and I assume Geoff probably will too.

8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

They'll have Scunthorpe United next season, tragic. 

Scarborough coming from behind to win away at Chorley, get in. Would be so class if they got themselves up. Another dismal day for York, battered at home to Halifax. 

Christ didn't realize they'd fallen so far. One of 4 teams to beat us in the 2009/10 season. From that to playing South Shields in 13 years.

7 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Christ didn't realize they'd fallen so far. One of 4 teams to beat us in the 2009/10 season. From that to playing South Shields in 13 years.

2 were in the same week, lost to Forest on the weekend and them mid week

Was the making of Andy Carroll that week 

Still remember Geremi skying it over the roof 

10 hours ago, Ace said:

We’ve  just built a new stand with seats on one side and then have 2 covered standing sections behind the goal. The other side of the pitch has the old small seated section as well as the marquee and pub where you can get a drink.

The level we were at they were the only professional club so had a big advantage. Generally Sewper Kev has had them playing quite negatively when they should be pushing on.

The owner seems to like the Sunderland connections rather than a potential link up with NUFC. If we can get to the conference (which is the stated aim) we’d be stupid to not try and get some players in 

I went to the 0-0 draw the week before last. Class set up they’ve got, a decent match day experience despite the ground not being in a great place. 

2 hours ago, Danh1 said:

I went to the 0-0 draw the week before last. Class set up they’ve got, a decent match day experience despite the ground not being in a great place. 

Its always canny being able to have a pint at pitch side, at the start and end of the season when the weather is best its absolutely spot on

Yeah the ground used to be ran by the Filtrona company hence why its there, its on the outskirts of the town but its with in close distance of the metro so easy enough to get to, there was some talk when Thompson took over that they might try and get gypsies green which is right on the sea front but apparently the cycling club who use it weren't happy about losing the track round the edges

1 minute ago, Ace said:

Its always canny being able to have a pint at pitch side, at the start and end of the season when the weather is best its absolutely spot on

Yeah the ground used to be ran by the Filtrona company hence why its there, its on the outskirts of the town but its with in close distance of the metro so easy enough to get to, there was some talk when Thompson took over that they might try and get gypsies green which is right on the sea front but apparently the cycling club who use it weren't happy about losing the track round the edges

Fair point re the Metro being nearby. I live in Hebburn so it’s ideal for me tbf, was more thinking of pubs etc nearby. Gypsies Green would’ve been class. 

It is certainly better than where Gateshead Stadium is mind.

3 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Fair point re the Metro being nearby. I live in Hebburn so it’s ideal for me tbf, was more thinking of pubs etc nearby. Gypsies Green would’ve been class. 

It is certainly better than where Gateshead Stadium is mind.

They opened that Tams bar at Bede which seems to do good business on a match day. The sima arms was always a canny meeting point to walk down from but its no good now it keeps pretending to be fancy restaurants. The only other ones within a 10-15 minute walk if you like local flavour are the Jester and Red hackle (Hackle is the Jarrow FC bar as well)

Hogarths in the town centre used to do a free mini bus back and forwards

18 minutes ago, Ace said:

They opened that Tams bar at Bede which seems to do good business on a match day. The sima arms was always a canny meeting point to walk down from but its no good now it keeps pretending to be fancy restaurants. The only other ones within a 10-15 minute walk if you like local flavour are the Jester and Red hackle (Hackle is the Jarrow FC bar as well)

Hogarths in the town centre used to do a free mini bus back and forwards

Aye coming to think of it I did see that Tam’s Bar. And I do like the Hackle, even though it’s more of a red and white boozer. 

Looks like that's the Heed safe, 5-2 win away at Eastleigh and onto 52 points. They could end up with a top half finish at this rate :lol:

Would love them to make a few good additions in the summer and have a crack at the playoffs next year. Hopefully they can carry this form over the summer.

Was at Blue Star v Killingworth the other night. Blue Star looking good for promotion but crowds seem to have dropped significantly. The had some Friday night games in the last few years with gates of around a 1000 but they had 110 the other night. Sure the Saturday game I previously attended only managed about 140. Baffled as to why TBH.