Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Big day in National League again today. Stockport's 18 game unbeaten run was ended by Grimsby on Friday, Wrexham only drew so the gap is now 7. County's run in is tough, 4th place Solihull today, but also away to 5th place Chesterfield, away to 2nd place Wrexham and final day of the season home to 3rd place Halifax.

Wrexham's run in is a bit easier. Think 8th May Wrexham - County could be title decider day.

Looks like South Shields have blown automatic promotion to the National North. They were neck and neck with Buxton with two game to go after they got an 89th minute winner on Saturday and Buxton conceded a 88th minute equaliser, but they lost at home to Whitby today while Buxton beat their Derbyshire rivals Matlock (who are in the playoffs, but not guaranteed), so Buxton are 3 points clear with one to go, and crucially, a GD of 11 better off, so like 99.99% confirmed. I thought it might have been in S Shields hands heading into the last day, but obviously not.

https://www.thenpl.co.uk/match-info/tables

Guest HTT II
9 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Looks like South Shields have blown automatic promotion to the National North. They were neck and neck with Buxton with two game to go after they got an 89th minute winner on Saturday and Buxton conceded a 88th minute equaliser, but they lost at home to Whitby today while Buxton beat their Derbyshire rivals Matlock (who are in the playoffs, but not guaranteed), so Buxton are 3 points clear with one to go, and crucially, a GD of 11 better off, so like 99.99% confirmed. I thought it might have been in S Shields hands heading into the last day, but obviously not.

https://www.thenpl.co.uk/match-info/tables

Sewpa Kev for me marra!

• 2 weeks later...

South Shields currently in extra time of their Northern Premier Division play-off semi-final against Warrington Town. 

My other local team Scarborough Athletic beat Matlock Town earlier this evening in the other semi. Completely passed me by what a decent season they'd been having. It's a phoenix club borne out of the old Scarborough Town (who folded not long after Abramovich's Chelsea visited).

Feels like they're destined to be in the Unibond forever. 

Marske and Stockton both won their semi finals in the league below (Marske beating the more local Shildon), so at least they will have a regional team in the league with them next season (or fellow former Northern League side), along with Morpeth.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

South Shields currently in extra time of their Northern Premier Division play-off semi-final against Warrington Town. 

My other local team Scarborough Athletic beat Matlock Town earlier this evening in the other semi. Completely passed me by what a decent season they'd been having. It's a phoenix club borne out of the old Scarborough Town (who folded not long after Abramovich's Chelsea visited).

It was actually just Scarborough FC, Town were a youth team set up in the Athletic days and played a bit in the Teesside and Wearside leagues, but have since folded.

I still remember being conflicted that Jimmy Glass day. I live between Newcastle and Carlisle, so have kind of always had a bit of interest in the latter, but I must have had my holidays at Scarborough every other year as a young'un, so liked both clubs. Scarborough never really recovered from going down that day, but what an incredible story it was. I think at the time I was more hoping Scarborough would stay up, but my interest in Carlisle did pick up a lot more a few years later when they were a solid League One side.