Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

6 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Whats the crack with Prudda Town these days? YCFC top dogs nowadays? Prudda Town mens team still a thing?

Not 100% but I think Town folded a few year back. The Newcastle Uni team have been playing at Kimberley this last season in the Northern League, poor cunts.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Carlisle City......are they the ones that were something Celtic and owned by an American millionaire ?

Nah that was Celtic Nation, they’ve been gone a while too.

9 minutes ago, Disco said:

Not 100% but I think Town folded a few year back. The Newcastle Uni team have been playing at Kimberley this last season in the Northern League, poor cunts.

:lol: Looks like YCFC play at Eastwoods park. Might make the big move up to Tip Top now they're in the Northern League

Ah no YCFC already play at Kimberley too. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Prudhoe Town folded a few year ago after dropping into the Wearside League. They couldn't even put an XI out in the end which was ridiculous in itself.

PYC have now effectively filled the void. Which in reality is far better because they have age group teams going right down and so there is now clear continuity/pathway up to seniors. 

It'll be interesting to see how they make the step up to NL, and whether there is bigger support from locals now that it is more imbedded in the wider community.

Anyone remember Celtic Nation? Think their hope was to use a connection with Celtic to work their way up the league ladder and attract their fanbase being located in Carlisle. Spent a fair bit of money and had some old NUFC Academy players and Mick Wadsworth as manager.

8 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Prudhoe Town folded a few year ago after dropping into the Wearside League. They couldn't even put an XI out in the end which was ridiculous in itself.

PYC have now effectively filled the void. Which in reality is far better because they have age group teams going right down and so there is now clear continuity/pathway up to seniors. 

It'll be interesting to see how they make the step up to NL, and whether there is bigger support from locals now that it is more imbedded in the wider community.

You’d hope so but the location of KP is always going to be a massive hindrance.

19 minutes ago, Disco said:

You’d hope so but the location of KP is always going to be a massive hindrance.

You think? It's hardly out of the way like a lot of northern league grounds are. If anything it is more residential than most. The historic attendances for PT were always a joke considering the size of the town.

That's probably because even the questionable characters of Prudhoe felt too good to venture over to West Wylam.

As a PYCFC veteran, it's good to hear they're becoming bigger. Looking at their site now they have a load of youth teams. They were always one of the better clubs for range of teams and ages but looks like they've branched out of the tyne valley leagues they used to mainly be participants of. Left the Stocksfield yokels in their rearview. 

I agree that it makes more sense the men's senior team to be a progression from the youth teams. Playing through the youth teams for YCFC it never seemed like a progression available. It was like the club ends once you're out of the u18s. There was no connection between PTFC and the youth clubs. Would be lucky to get to play a big final at KP. Wentworth was always the big game pitch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_National_League#National_League_North

Didn't realise York had made the playoff final after beating Brackley.

I love the playoffs, although not so sure the 6 team format (although I guess it does favour the top 2, despite both flopping here), but I see it's 5th vs 7th in the final, and York and Boston finished 21 and 24 points respectively behind 2nd placed Brackley who pushed Gateshead all the way, before just falling short. I hope York go up. They get the final at home (3pm Saturday), but lost both league matches to Boston.

While not their natural level, Stockport were contending in the 2nd tier when I was a young lad, and had the odd cup run, but they had a stinking 15 years or so, before finally having an upturn these last few years. 

I'd like to see Notts County back, they are definitely a 'league' team as well, and have a couple of local (North East) lads playing for them, plus it will be shit for their fans if they stop down another season and Forest finally get back into the top flight.

Edited by Paullow

5 minutes ago, Paullow said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_National_League#National_League_North

Didn't realise York had made the playoff final after beating Brackley.

I love the playoffs, although not so sure the 6 team format (although I guess it does favour the top 2, despite both flopping here), but I see it's 5th vs 7th in the final, and York and Boston finished 21 and 24 points respectively behind 2nd placed Brackley who pushed Gateshead all the way, before just falling short. I hope York go up. They get the final at home (3pm Saturday), but lost both league matches to Boston.

Canny that. Brackley sounds like one of the made up places anyway so no great shame.  Be good to see York back up. 

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Canny that. Brackley sounds like one of the made up places anyway so no great shame.  Be good to see York back up. 

I remember being at Uni around 14 years or so ago and I was in a group task with an Oxford United fan (who were in the Conference at the time), and he was worried that Brackley would soon pass them in the pyramid - they probably had a bit of money about them at the time, but that's obviously not happened and Oxford are obviously competing well in the third tier these days.

Assumed folks were bored of me prattling on about York :lol: but yes, they've had a remarkable turnaround having been 15th at one point at the turn of the year, which was a truly dismal state of affairs. Incredible result at Brackley who've been streets ahead of basically everyone but Gateshead. 

The play-offs are harsh but those who finished higher did earn fewer games to progress and guaranteed home legs, so I don't feel too bad for em.

Sadly can't make the final but not devastated on account not having to observe of the 150-odd little bellends in the support who insist on being wannabe hooligans smashing up seats and storming the pitch before FT.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Assumed folks were bored of me prattling on about York :lol: but yes, they've had a remarkable turnaround having been 15th at one point at the turn of the year, which was a truly dismal state of affairs. Incredible result at Brackley who've been streets ahead of basically everyone but Gateshead. 

The play-offs are harsh but those who finished higher did earn fewer games to progress and guaranteed home legs, so I don't feel too bad for em.

Sadly can't make the final but not devastated on account not having to observe of the 150-odd little bellends in the support who insist on being wannabe hooligans smashing up seats and storming the pitch before FT.

To be fair this whole hooligan-wannabe scene seems to be making a comeback. Just look at the likes of Kings Lynn and Telford.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Robbie Dale signs for Ashington. That should stick an extra 50-100 on the gate when they're at home and Blyth are away.

Good signing. Will be interesting to see how he does in the NL. 

ashington going for a promotion push? 

Very happy for York.

Absolutely no way a club of their size should be as low down as they are.

I think they got fucked over by COVID in recent years when it looked like they would easily leapfrog everyone to promotion, but the league got cancelled.

Edited by Stifler