Newcastle United 2-0 Wolves (EFL Cup) - 20/9/16 post match reaction from page 13

Greg

Wing backs, like Reading.

I've been in meetings all afternoon, how have the full backs done tonight, surely that's a better pairing than the one that started the last couple of games ?

Lazaar had an awful first half. Yedlin has been canny, according to comms.

Oh no, had high hopes for Lazaar and anything is better than Dummet, hopefully just nerves.

Wing backs, like Reading.

I've been in meetings all afternoon, how have the full backs done tonight, surely that's a better pairing than the one that started the last couple of games ?

Lazaar had an awful first half. Yedlin has been canny, according to comms.

Oh no, had high hopes for Lazaar and anything is better than Dummet, hopefully just nerves.

I don't know how people can still come out with rubbish like this, mind. He's obviously going to be Rafa's first choice this season.

Ritchie+Yedlin on the right looks like it could be as formidable a right side you could hope for in this league. Ritchie's ability on the ball obviously has to be respected especially cutting in and then Yedlin on the overlap has to be accounted for. Hopefully Lazaar was just rusty and will come out better next time (Im sure he will) and that can happen on the left as well.

Good performance that,  they had a really good chance in the 1st half to take the lead but other than that they didn't look that threatening.  Yedlin and Clark impressed me. Murphy was decent.  Lazaar was pretty rubbish. Gouffran's goal was insanely good

If I'd had to have picked 2-0 and 0-2 in the last two games, this is the way I'd have done it like. Don't think Saturday's three points and performance will do too much damage grander scheme of things (we want shot if it has much of a bearing given there's still 114 points left to play for), while a cup run is a nice rarity.