Hull City 1-1 Newcastle United (Hull win 3-1 on pelanties) afters from page 37

Disco

When emotions subside, the prospect of playing a two-legged semi-final against top-flight opposition during January may have been an extra distraction to our main aim of gaining promotion. Heavy defeats in one or both legs could also adversely affect us.

Add in FA Cup commitments, the unresolved Shelvey situation and his possible prolonged absence, plus African Cup of Nations call-ups for up to four players that month and this defeat becomes a little easier to bear. After all, we should be used to it by now.....

From .com

Don't want to be all negative and Pardew, as I would have loved to have a crack at the semis and you're usually going to be playing a good side in a semi-final.  But I think what they have written is all fair enough and I forgot that we would be losing squad depth for the AFCON. 

When emotions subside, the prospect of playing a two-legged semi-final against top-flight opposition during January may have been an extra distraction to our main aim of gaining promotion. Heavy defeats in one or both legs could also adversely affect us.

Add in FA Cup commitments, the unresolved Shelvey situation and his possible prolonged absence, plus African Cup of Nations call-ups for up to four players that month and this defeat becomes a little easier to bear. After all, we should be used to it by now.....

From .com

Don't want to be all negative and Pardew, as I would have loved to have a crack at the semis and you're usually going to be playing a good side in a semi-final.  But I think what they have written is all fair enough and I forgot that we would be losing squad depth for the AFCON.

Concur with both of the above.

Said yesterday at work, that while it'd be nice to get through to a semi-final, I wouldn't lose sleep or worry/panic if we lost last nights match.

We have a bigger priority this season, and I just hope the extra time and penalties hasn't affected us too much ahead of Friday nights league match.

We were by far the better team. Basically dominated the entire 120 minutes. Darlow plays instead of Sels and we're in the Semis now.

Very true. All we needed to do was hang on for a couple of minutes after the goal and we'd have seen it out. That plonker had other ideas obviously.

As has been said, going out isn't the end of the world in terms of out overall goal for this season, it was just so fucking annoying the way we went out last night.

I hope these payers have recovered enough from last night for Friday nights game against Forest. 120 mins + pens for a lot of our first team players.

It was disappointing but at the end of the day probably needed that for a reality check. I was thinking we could go for a cup this season, but on reflection that was getting carried away. Nothing wrong with our squad, but we are nowhere near that level yet. Our best players like Gayle, Shelvey and Ritchie would walk into most championship sides, but they have had limited success in the top division. We should have won yesterday but in the end we didn't because we aren't ruthless enough yet. We'll bounce back but we need to temper our expectations just a bit.

From .com

Concur with both of the above.

Said yesterday at work, that while it'd be nice to get through to a semi-final, I wouldn't lose sleep or worry/panic if we lost last nights match.

We have a bigger priority this season, and I just hope the extra time and penalties hasn't affected us too much ahead of Friday nights league match.

:thup:

Darlow, Yedlin, Dummett, Colback, Perez, Mitro all likely to come back in so that's 6/11's of your team. Just have to score early and have it won by HT.

What did the TV say/show of the Lascelles bottle incident? There was absolutely no intent from him but as he quickly threw it off the pitch it sailed about ten rows back into the crowd. Him apologising brought it to the refs attention but the officials didn't see it at all

He didn't throw it off he gave the full hoof. Big right foot straight through it and it sailed into the crowd. I'd be pissed off it had came my way I'd reckon.

What did the TV say/show of the Lascelles bottle incident? There was absolutely no intent from him but as he quickly threw it off the pitch it sailed about ten rows back into the crowd. Him apologising brought it to the refs attention but the officials didn't see it at all

He didn't throw it off he gave the full hoof. Big right foot straight through it and it sailed into the crowd. I'd be pissed off it had came my way I'd reckon.

In fairness, the minute he kicked it, he had his hand up apologising.  I think it was sincere.  If you look at some of his passes and clearances, he is a bit wayward :lol:

I'm still gutted and angry that we've gone out but it's purely because of the manner in which we did. The fact is, we controlled an away game. And before you even consider the higher-league opposition, the fact we did that puts us worlds apart from Newcastle teams of the past. We're historically s*** away from home and yet we have spent a huge duration of time controlling away games this season. We just weren't clinical enough and we have Matz Sels. That's why we lost.

We need to improve; but then of course we need to improve, that's just totally frigging obvious. We're not going to be the finished article after 20 games. The squad we have now has been hastily thrown together because we needed to lose 17 players at the end of last season - this generation of players will not be the ones leading us forward long-term. Even the younger ones that stay, like Lascelles or Hayden, will be different players in a year's time. We've bulked-out with mostly average players which, fortunately - in coordination with real talent like Shelvey - is enough to have us top of the Championship. But of course we need to improve on that. This summer, this squad, is just a means to an end: good enough to go up. (Hopefully).

If we're a Premier League team in September, we'll be looking at least another 7/8 completely new faces again as Rafa continues rebuilding the club from top to bottom. Using tonight as a way of measuring our chances in the PL next season is pointless when a lot of things will change should we get promoted.

Back to tonight's game specifically and it's galling as hell because A, I really fancied us, B, we should've won and C, we played pretty well. A ridiculous lapse ultimately cost us and that's why it's so frustrating. S'how it goes. Hull will get absolutely marmalised against whoever they face. But there was some promising stuff from us tonight.

For years under Pardew, Carver and McClaren it was an absolutely pointless exercise to pluck alleged positives from defeats. Just pointless. They meant nothing. We were s*** and we were always going to be s***. Now though - we're building something, and we can take genuine solace from the positives.

Big game on Friday, mind.

:thup:

The signs under Rafa are already immensely positive. This is still a young group with lots of of time to develop under a great coach. And we will add to the squad in Jan and next Summer. I saw how gutted they were after the game and I think it'll only make them stronger. This is just the beginning of something great!

Guest Howaythetoon

Yorkie's best post on here, absolutely spot on in terms of the defeat and going out of the cup especially. Long term we have major problems, and while I'm sure Rafa is capable of addressing it and indeed fixing it, I'm not so sure Ashley will sanction the kind of spending that is going to be needed if we are to fast track our way back to becoming a football club that can compete at the top end of the PL and towards Europe and looking to actually win trophies. Rafa will not settle for fighting relegations, losing cup matches and mid-table mediocrity. If we go up he will want to finish top 8 at least. This squad has no real outstanding players and only a handful who can perhaps do a more than an adequate job in the PL. Major investment in real quality will be needed because this squad even with Rafa would struggle in the PL.

Yorkie's best post on here, absolutely spot on in terms of the defeat and going out of the cup especially. Long term we have major problems, and while I'm sure Rafa is capable of addressing it and indeed fixing it, I'm not so sure Ashley will sanction the kind of spending that is going to be needed if we are to fast track our way back to becoming a football club that can compete at the top end of the PL and towards Europe and looking to actually win trophies. Rafa will not settle for fighting relegations, losing cup matches and mid-table mediocrity. If we go up he will want to finish top 8 at least. This squad has no real outstanding players and only a handful who can perhaps do a more than an adequate job in the PL. Major investment in real quality will be needed because this squad even with Rafa would struggle in the PL.

Steady on Ronaldo.

Hull are a symbol of a modern football club. They have generic identikit stadium, most of their support has increased when they went up the leagues and before that they were an unknown club. The fans last night never celebrated getting to a semi-final, they never chanted or cheered, and even the 'Allam out' protests were half hearted. They are basically a club who exists so parents can take their kids to see Rooney and co when Man Utd come to town. Sure there will be some hardcore fans, but not many, the real sport supporters will likely support one of the rugby team, Grimsby, Leeds, or Sheffield Wednesday. I hope the club falls down the league, their supporters don't deserve a football club.

As has been said, going out isn't the end of the world in terms of out overall goal for this season, it was just so fucking annoying the way we went out last night.

I hope these payers have recovered enough from last night for Friday nights game against Forest. 120 mins + pens for a lot of our first team players.

however we bought a squad for such needs, get a draw, re group and go

Hull are a symbol of a modern football club. They have generic identikit stadium, most of their support has increased when they went up the leagues and before that they were an unknown club. The fans last night never celebrated getting to a semi-final, they never chanted or cheered, and even the 'Allam out' protests were half hearted. They are basically a club who exists so parents can take their kids to see Rooney and co when Man Utd come to town. Sure there will be some hardcore fans, but not many, the real sport supporters will likely support one of the rugby team, Grimsby, Leeds, or Sheffield Wednesday. I hope the club falls down the league, their supporters don't deserve a football club.

Their "protest" was to not turn up wasn't it? Better than anything we did to try to get Ashley out

Their "protest" was to not turn up wasn't it? Better than anything we did to try to get Ashley out

Their attendance yesterday will have been much bigger than the vast majority of attendances they've had over the last 20 years. Dat protest.

Their attendance yesterday will have been much bigger than the vast majority of attendances they've had over the last 20 years. Dat protest.

Due to us bringing so many

Before the game yesterday I was asked who I wanted in the semis and I said united with out a doubt, they probs would of beat us in all reality but it was just the prospect of playing united on a cold January evening, under the flood lights, with a packed sjp and baring in mind mourhino's horrible record at our place I would of deffo fancied us.... Anyways it doesn't now does it ...