Newcastle United 4-0 Rotherham United - 21/01/2017 post match comments from pg17

Disco

Haven't seen the game back but thought Rotherham did really well first half to man mark Shelvey out of the game and squeezed high up the pitch. Their tactic of  letting Lascelles play it out from the back worked pretty well as his distribution was pretty average.

Delighted we got the win and had a comfortable second half though

Totally agree with this, the fans were getting very frustrated with Lascelles poor passing and the fact he kept slowing the game down

Please don't score any more, got 4-0 Murphy fgs. I never get these right ffs.  :lol:

:iamatwat:

Lad next to me had 4-0 with Murphy first goal scorer as well. Was funny as fuck  last 10 minutes watching him sweat on £140.

For what it's worth I think Rotherham did decent in the first half, they had a few chances of their own despite not being in control of the game. It wasn't until the 2nd half when they were 1-0 down when they fell apart when we were all over them. In the reverse fixture they gave a decent performance as well, so I wonder if their problem is more of a psychological one when they go a goal down rather than a lack of skill problem?

Anyway fair play to their fans, ok Rotherham to Newcastle isn't the longest away journey but they brought a large crowd with them (one of the biggest so far at SJP this season I'd say) to a game that they are expected to get hammered in when they are on the verge of relegation to League 1, how many clubs would do that? They were in decent voice as well until their team decided to throw the towel in.

We were poor defensively and the attack stuttered until we got in front...Murphy has been well worth signing because he has made an impact with his presence when he has been in the side ; holds the ball up well and some if his headed flicks are very good.

The best thing about this game is the 3 points plus the improvement to our goal-diff which could well become vital at the end of the season. Brighton have been far better at winning games after being behind but they don't often score many goals.

We need an injection of more pace and a more effective No 10 although Perez took his goal well.

As long as we get results all is well...I am happy with that(the end justifies the means)but we are not great to watch.

Rotherham  :clap:

Sold out, huffed and puffed, but not quite enough. Hats off. Fans can be proud for their attitude and application, if nowt else.

What on earth are the words to that Rafa song?  :lol:

Highlight of the match btw, ridiculous bit of control by the Rotherham LB in the second half. Received a deserved round of applause from the whole crowd.

In fact I would happily have us look at bringing him in - would be a good back up wing option. Seems to have done alright in a pretty awful Rotherham side in his first season at this level.

One thing that really irritates me at SJP is how fucking slow our ball boys are.

When we have teams coming and sitting back, trying to frustrate and slow the game down we need the ball returned to the field as quickly as possible.

It just seems to take an absolute age to get the ball back into the field (if they even move to get it at all).

One thing that really irritates me at SJP is how fucking slow our ball boys are.

When we have teams coming and sitting back, trying to frustrate and slow the game down we need the ball returned to the field as quickly as possible.

It just seems to take an absolute age to get the ball back into the field (if they even move to get it at all).

Absolutely. They've been terrible for a while.

There must be a few factors... They have them sitting behind the adboards nowadays, they seem to be such younger kids or what they teach them must be at fault. Or it's probably a mixture of all three.

The indecisiveness or complete lack of reaction sometimes is very frustrating.