Oxford 3-0 Newcastle 28/1/17 - Match Thread

Big Geordie

Well, its wake-up time for all those complacent enough to keep saying we have the best squad in the Champ....RUBBISH. If we did we could have handled this game better than a 3-0 defeat.

Who does have the best squad in the Championship then?

The side that wins it...and regardless of what anyone thinks a strong squad would not lose 3-0 at a Div 1 side. If NUFC have the strongest squad there must be some strong squads in Div 1 then..

Why must there be "some strong squads in Div 1"? On that basis there must be some strong squads in the Championship because Wolves have just beaten Liverpool reserves. To suggest our squad is anything other than very strong in comparison to the rest of the Championship is just utter stupidity.

Our first choice XI might be streets ahead but the fall off afterwards is precipitous.

Well, its wake-up time for all those complacent enough to keep saying we have the best squad in the Champ....RUBBISH. If we did we could have handled this game better than a 3-0 defeat.

The side that wins it...and regardless of what anyone thinks a strong squad would not lose 3-0 at a Div 1 side. If NUFC have the strongest squad there must be some strong squads in Div 1 then..

Why must there be "some strong squads in Div 1"? On that basis there must be some strong squads in the Championship because Wolves have just beaten Liverpool reserves. To suggest our squad is anything other than very strong in comparison to the rest of the Championship is just utter stupidity.

Our first choice XI might be streets ahead but the fall off afterwards is precipitous.

Is it though? Is there a better reserve centre-back pairing in the league than Mbemba and Hanley? Are there two better reserve strikers than Mitrovic and Perez? Half the team at Oxford was the reserve reserves. Having said that let's get our best 11 back on the pitch and all will be good.

I don't buy the silly theory about instructions from Ashley, Benitez simply wouldn't stand for that level of interference.  He got it wrong, underestimated Oxford and overestimated our dross.

The owner's reluctance to finance a squad with enough depth to compete on multiple fronts percolates through to the management side imho. Pardew used to tow the party line because Pardz was a company man and a lapdog. Rafa is astute enough to realize on the back of nearly four weeks of transfer window inactivity (combined with a busy schedule) that we don't have the strength in numbers maintain a two headed challenge, and as such he"s shoehorned into a position to prioritize. Also he may have vision & ambition but he's also a career manager. If Rafa has figured these clowns out by now (you cannot trust Ashley, as stated by Keegan) then promotion at a mismanaged zombie club, where there's a disconnect between his ambition & Ashley's objectives, looks far better on his resume than a brave FA Cup run only to fall short in the play-offs.

It is 'utter stupidity' to brag about our squad when we have already lost 7 games this season...

He seems to ignore the fact that the one team in the league who could possibly be the answer to this, did the same as us yesterday, and lost to a non-league side. Can't be Brighton anyway.

Seen the highlights, really poor. I know Sels gets a lot of stick but the organisation when he plays is so bad. I think Darlow brings a real confidence to the back 4 in front of him, talks them through the game which is why we see much better organisation when he plays.

Other than that, we need a QPR thread.

My feeling exactly I think:

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/01/newcastle-fans-really-want-2017-oxford-3-newcastle-0-newcastle-united/

After years of supporting this club I think there's a certain minority that fit well and truly in to the category of always moaning about something. We're aren't a team that can compete on all fronts currently, hopefully that will come but we're not there yet. League priority and building should be what we are concentrating on right now, enjoy what areas we are concentrating on and let Rafa get on with it while getting behind him and the team 100%. That's not to say we just accept shit when it happens but we need to take a step back sometimes and stop griefing the wrong things, keep that sort of nonsense up andI can see the enthusiasm draining from the people that can help us get back to where we want to be and we'll forever be doomed to misery and mediocrity.

Gamez, Good, Barlaser, El-Mhanni, Haidara are not even our back-up players. You could argue the same with Mitro as Murphy seems to be ahead of him atm.

None of the five players above (Mitro excluded) have been near the first team in league matches all season, other than Gamez who has played very few minutes.

That wasn't our first team playing yesterday, it wasn't even our second team playing, it was virtually a third eleven. Our squad is head and shoulders above every single one of the other teams in the Championship, by a clear margin.

Other than Hayden (and maybe Perez) I don't think any of the players who started that game will even be in our squad next season, they'll be flogged or sent out on loan.

Spurs nearly lost at home to League Two Wycombe, Liverpool lost at home to a poor Championship side in Wolves, Brighton lost away at Conference side Lincoln. These things happen and you run the risk of them happening if you play a disjointed eleven of misfits and youngsters (which all of those teams did). It happens every year in the cup, it happens to us more frequently because we consistently play weakened teams in this competition.

2 of our players yesterday were playing a senior match for the second time. We've had a Quarter Final already this season, we've hardly sacked the cups off. It just so happens we've got 7 league games this coming month and the focus is on them. This season will finish with us playing 53 competitive games.

We weren't going to win the FA Cup this year, but we didn't disgrace ourselves against Birmingham, whilst the majority of players used got is through rounds of the League Cup or FA Cup previously.

Early season analysis of Rafa showed that he likes to pick his team a month in advance based on priorities and fixtures, hence he would win in the CL then lose to Fulham.

I think this year priorities went Promotion > League Cup > Champions > FA Cup.

On that basis I would give out performance in cups this season a score of 8/10

Guest alijmitchell

I fucking hate this 'you need to get priorities straight' and 'we can't expect to compete on all fronts each year' crap. As if hoying in a load of fringe players is totally acceptable. Can we not give the FA cup a go? We haven't won a thing in most people's lifetimes and we haven't progressed in the FA cup in ages. What's the fucking point of being a fan if all it amounts to is hacking about in the premier league? Will we have a good go then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I buy the 'not giving it a go' thing, just because we lost. Oxford looked absolutely awful in the first half and we created 3 or 4 clear-cut chances as well as couple of medium-distance shots that were saved. Any of those, or the penalty, go in and we win the game IMO. Oxford looked a shocking team until they got their confidence up at the end.

Of course when you lose to Oxford it looks awful, which it is, but I'm not sure the game yesterday proves we should have played the first team. You can't consider the down-side of making changes.

I fucking hate this 'you need to get priorities straight' and 'we can't expect to compete on all fronts each year' crap. As if hoying in a load of fringe players is totally acceptable. Can we not give the FA cup a go? We haven't won a thing in most people's lifetimes and we haven't progressed in the FA cup in ages. What's the fucking point of being a fan if all it amounts to is hacking about in the premier league? Will we have a good go then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We gave it a good go in 2/3 competitions this season.

That team should have beaten Oxford, the players just did not show up on the day.

I have been a Newcastle supporter long enough to know that since the 50s we have done NOWT in the domestic Cup competitions

Discounting the Wembley finals we got to, mate? Selective memory. You may be a sorcerer but you can't magic reality away.

1a1a1a1a1a1a332.jpg

You want him sacked?

Don't think anone wants him sacked but he is not a god and is open to criticism when deserved and there have been a few times like today when it has been totally warranted.

That is true but imho we couldn't possible get a better manager thus making criticism counter productive to a certain extent.

From the sounds of it we missed a few chances and the score didn't fully reflect the game.

Some of the reactions such as the one I quoted to over the top for me.

My piss-take post is over the top...

As if anyone wants him sacked, man, stop looking for shit that's not there :lol:

So come on then, if it's not us, and it's not Brighton...it can't be Leeds now. Who is it? Reading?

So come on then, if it's not us, and it's not Brighton...it can't be Leeds now. Who is it? Reading?

Wolves?

If being beaten off lesser opposition disqualifies you then it has to be.