The other games today 2017/18

Greg

Guest firetotheworks

I thought Messi had gotten over his inexplicable penalty problem. There was probably a point in time where Shola's penalty stats on FIFA etc were better than Messi's.

Perhaps, but I think that might just be down to the finishing standards of some wide forwards these days. Very few players are traditional wingers these days, and it's almost expected that players in that area of the pitch can finish like Neymar or Salah.

Sterling does fluff his lines a lot, and his finishing technique isn't so polished - but his all round game has been fantastic this season. 15 goals in 23 games is a great return when you consider everything else to his game.

Oh aye, it's so clear how much he has improved under Pep and the fact so many of his goals are close range, even scuffed, finishes, is testament to his intelligence of being in the right place at the right time. Just seems so awkward though a lot of time when he has a clear opening and really should have scored a lot more.

The amount of blatant diving this weekend on MOTD was ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is that clowns like Jenas seemingly condone going down in the box by "screaming at their tv for them to go down", or Phil Neville saying they should drop the booking law for dives as you'll never eradicate it. Load of rubbish.

Give a dive a straight red card and they'll think twice after their 2nd or 3rd suspension of the season, and so will their managers when it comes to picking them.

The problem with that, as we have already seen is that it will only be enforced on the smaller clubs just like Rooney/Kane etc escape yellow cards, it will be foreign players at lower clubs getting sent off for diving.

That may be the case as there's always been to some extent a preferential treatment for the bigger clubs, but it's still going to eradicate more diving than just a yellow card would. A yellow card for diving just lets you laugh in the referee's face and continue the game as if nothing happened, then you have idiot pundits encouraging it.

The problem with that, as we have already seen is that it will only be enforced on the smaller clubs just like Rooney/Kane etc escape yellow cards, it will be foreign players at lower clubs getting sent off for diving.

That may be the case as there's always been to some extent a preferential treatment for the bigger clubs, but it's still going to eradicate more diving than just a yellow card would. A yellow card for diving just lets you laugh in the referee's face and continue the game as if nothing happened, then you have idiot pundits encouraging it.

I just think its a dangerous road to go down as it is not clear cut. I can fully imagine one of our players getting a red for a legitimate penalty shout, its bound to happen.

I mean yeah that could easily happen, and clearly would happen to us given our luck :lol: but I think there are ways it could work, such as bringing the replay rule in because of the impact it would have. When it comes to changing the course of the match I think both the red card and a replay would be necessary evils if they're truly serious about stamping it out of football.

There has to be something more they can be doing, even if it's retrospective action and a suspension follows after, but even then I don't think that's enough.

Guest firetotheworks

Excellent. Slight proof that this system can work. Now they just need to include the top 6 when they're charging players. :yao: