The other games today 2017/18

Greg

It's mad how much criticism Wenger gets considering how good Arsenal are at playing football.

Haven't seen them play as well as they did today in a long time. Saw many games this season with them, usually crap viewing. Arsenal rarely play with this level of aggression.

Fantastic final. As good a English football match i've seen in a long time.

Only negatives was the handball, silly dive and Murphy.

Guest firetotheworks

Bollocks. All of it. He's a fantastic manager, always has been, always will be. As a buyer of players he's not good enough and has needed to change his spending habits for ages, but in terms of winning trophies, getting Champions League football and player beautiful football, he's been the best there is in the Premier League in terms of consistency.

As for the higher spending point, they've spent more because player fees have gone up massively, just like everyone else. Arsenal are the best bang for your buck team in the league considering they have only one or two world class players and the others bar Liverpool have much more than that.

I don't disagree that it might be time to go, but for me it's his stubbornness to buying established world class players that's the issue, not his ability as a manager. For me that's not in question and never has been.

I never said he wasn't a fantastic manager [emoji38]

Are people incapable of detaching their emotional attachment to the man or something? in 2017 he's just not as good as the best coaches in the world anymore, that's a fact which has been proven again and again. I mean he used to get top 4 with scrubs like Denilson, Senderos, Andre Santos etc etc [emoji38] He's clearly not as good as he once was, whether you like it or not.

He used to be a manager who would consistently get performances from players who had no right performing like they did, now he struggles to get the best out of them compared to his peers.  There's nothing wrong with this, Ferguson wasn't the best manager in the world towards the end of his career in that moment. Age causes your performance to diminish and it happens to everyone.

I don't know why people refuse to see the mounting evidence that has piled up over the last few years against him, over many 38 game seasons. That doesn't mean you don't respect him and consider him a legend as the two things are not mutually exclusive.

But at the same time you honestly realise that in 2017 he's below his peers, that is possible to do very easily. I will accept that was probably a bad day for me to bring this up mind. [emoji38]

To basically put in black and white, Wenger of mid 2000s would have had this team challenging Chelsea for the league and probably beating them and he certainly would not let Klopp and Pochettino consistently outshine him and in Klopp's case with irrefutably worse level of talent.

That's not to say he's shite now or anything, but if you want to compete for the league he's not good enough and those who actually pay attention over a whole season will see that pretty easily.

You're saying he's not a fantastic manager now, I'm saying he still is and that the issue is still with the signings he makes.

I massively disagree that this current Arsenal team should be challenging for the league, like. How you think he's overachieved with previous teams but is underachieving with this one is beyond me. To me there's no difference, he needs to bring in better players and his managerial ability hasn't changed at all.

That fucking arsehole Krul's just saved a penalty with the last kick of normal time in the Eredivisie play off, and cost me £55 in the process.

:smug:

Bollocks. All of it. He's a fantastic manager, always has been, always will be. As a buyer of players he's not good enough and has needed to change his spending habits for ages, but in terms of winning trophies, getting Champions League football and player beautiful football, he's been the best there is in the Premier League in terms of consistency.

As for the higher spending point, they've spent more because player fees have gone up massively, just like everyone else. Arsenal are the best bang for your buck team in the league considering they have only one or two world class players and the others bar Liverpool have much more than that.

I don't disagree that it might be time to go, but for me it's his stubbornness to buying established world class players that's the issue, not his ability as a manager. For me that's not in question and never has been.

Are people incapable of detaching their emotional attachment to the man or something? in 2017 he's just not as good as the best coaches in the world anymore, that's a fact which has been proven again and again. I mean he used to get top 4 with scrubs like Denilson, Senderos, Andre Santos etc etc [emoji38] He's clearly not as good as he once was, whether you like it or not.

He used to be a manager who would consistently get performances from players who had no right performing like they did, now he struggles to get the best out of them compared to his peers.  There's nothing wrong with this, Ferguson wasn't the best manager in the world towards the end of his career in that moment. Age causes your performance to diminish and it happens to everyone.

I don't know why people refuse to see the mounting evidence that has piled up over the last few years against him, over many 38 game seasons. That doesn't mean you don't respect him and consider him a legend as the two things are not mutually exclusive.

But at the same time you honestly realise that in 2017 he's below his peers, that is possible to do very easily. I will accept that was probably a bad day for me to bring this up mind. [emoji38]

To basically put in black and white, Wenger of mid 2000s would have had this team challenging Chelsea for the league and probably beating them and he certainly would not let Klopp and Pochettino consistently outshine him and in Klopp's case with irrefutably worse level of talent.

That's not to say he's shite now or anything, but if you want to compete for the league he's not good enough and those who actually pay attention over a whole season will see that pretty easily.

You're saying he's not a fantastic manager now, I'm saying he still is and that the issue is still with the signings he makes.

I massively disagree that this current Arsenal team should be challenging for the league, like. How you think he's overachieved with previous teams but is underachieving with this one is beyond me. To me there's no difference, he needs to bring in better players and his managerial ability hasn't changed at all.

Do you not class the buying of players as part of managerial ability like? I certainly do.

Guest firetotheworks

Do you not class the buying of players as part of managerial ability like? I certainly do.

I do, but mole's saying that he's suddenly changed and he's gotten worse as a manager with better players recently. Which to me is frankly bollocks. He's had the same problem since losing Vieira so it's nothing new. Not a single team he's assembled since then has been good enough to win the league, and that's the elephant in the room and what needs to change, but it's not new, and he's still a manager who gets far more out his squad than the sum of its parts imo.

VI, could you give us an insight into Gabriel Pires in the transfer rumours thread. Unless you already have. Interested to hear yours thoughts, ta.

He has great technique and flair but also a tendency to overplay and slow down stuff. Can't say I have watched Leganés that often, though.

The difference for Arsenal is that the teams around them are much more competitive now.

Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and now Tottenham all start the season with an expectation of finishing in the top four as a minimum and all of them have aspirations to win the title.

Arsene is a class manager and Arsenal fans will get a big shock when he does leave, because they'll struggle just as Man Utd did after Ferguson.

Guest neesy111

Very few Blackpool fans at this playoff final. Are they still protesting against the owner?

Aye.  Only 5,700 expected there today.  Good on them.

The difference for Arsenal is that the teams around them are much more competitive now.

Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and now Tottenham all start the season with an expectation of finishing in the top four as a minimum and all of them have aspirations to win the title.

Arsene is a class manager and Arsenal fans will get a big shock when he does leave, because they'll struggle just as Man Utd did after Ferguson.

Arsenal have more purchasing power than Liverpool and Spurs. Finishing below them is a sackable offence.

And anyway Arsenal haven't put together an 80+ point seasons in forever. It's wrong. Arsenal were woeful most of this season. Haven't improved in any season for a long time.  Not been in a title race in April for donkeys.

I agree there's a chance they do a Liverpool or Man Utd and totally fall from competitiveness without Arsene. But something needs to happen.