The other games today 2017/18

Greg

If he hits 100 goals by the end of this season, that gives him about 7-8 seasons assuming he stays fit & playing for an English club to score 160. Given it is has took him 3-4 seasons to be get to the hundred mark, albeit only like 3 seasons as a first team player, it's not a forgone conclusion.

Massive task, definitely possible, but very very tough.

I doubt anyone will break Shearer's record, you are talking insane figures. Kane is arguably the best all round centre-forward at the moment though, ridiculously good.

Shearer's record isn't an insane figure anymore like. We're into the era of a goal a game strikers now and Kane could average 18 goals a season from now until 2027 and beat the record.

Aye, 20 goals a season sounds big but he's hitting over that now. He got 29 last year.

Every time he does that he can afford a season where he only hits 11, or 15, or whatever. I actually think it's statistically likely he breaks it if he stays majorly injury free and doesn't move abroad.

Guest firetotheworks

Have to wait till he does it in the latter stages of the Champions League to say that

I think him doing it against the English teams who regularly get the latter stages is a fair indication of what he's capable of against the non-English teams in the latter stages.

What English teams regularly get to the latter stages?

Here we go.

All of them generally get beyond the group stages. If you're talking semi finals and the final, Spurs aren't getting there or competing enough for him to be able to prove anything.

What do you mean "here we go"? [emoji38] Do you think the English teams over the last 5 years have been as good as Barca, Real, Atletico, Bayern, Juve? That's what I'm talking about. The English look like they'll make a bit of a comeback in Europe this season however

No I don't, but nor was that what you originally said or asked tbf.

FWIW, I think it's a bit of an oddity to gauge your opinion on a player based the team they face beyond a certain point, when obviously it's a team sport. It's a bit 'Messi needs to win the world cup' for me once you get to that level, because no individual is going to overcome those teams without a team that can already compete with them.

Those five teams have been consistently in the latter stages of the Champions League in recent years. No English team has so no it's not the same as just doing it against the English teams in the PL up until this season anyway. That was my point.

I think Spurs are capable of competing with any team in Europe and not getting embarrassed. A striker should of course be judged by what they do up against the best defenders when they won't get as much space or as many chances. It's common sense when you are talking about how to rate a player who you think is the best in the world in their position

Latter = beyond the group stages to me, but fair enough I've read it wrong.

My point about gauging him is how I'll leave it.

If he hits 100 goals by the end of this season, that gives him about 7-8 seasons assuming he stays fit & playing for an English club to score 160. Given it is has took him 3-4 seasons to be get to the hundred mark, albeit only like 3 seasons as a first team player, it's not a forgone conclusion.

I think realistically you can give him more than 7-8 seasons mind. We don't know how he will age but him playing until he's 35 is definitely possible. 10-11 seasons after this one. Doubt he'll be hitting 20 a season by that point (although Ibra makes it seem possible) but he won't need to if he carries on as he is for the next 5-6 year.

Have to wait till he does it in the latter stages of the Champions League to say that

I think him doing it against the English teams who regularly get the latter stages is a fair indication of what he's capable of against the non-English teams in the latter stages.

Here we go.

All of them generally get beyond the group stages. If you're talking semi finals and the final, Spurs aren't getting there or competing enough for him to be able to prove anything.

What do you mean "here we go"? [emoji38] Do you think the English teams over the last 5 years have been as good as Barca, Real, Atletico, Bayern, Juve? That's what I'm talking about. The English look like they'll make a bit of a comeback in Europe this season however

FWIW, I think it's a bit of an oddity to gauge your opinion on a player based the team they face beyond a certain point, when obviously it's a team sport. It's a bit 'Messi needs to win the world cup' for me once you get to that level, because no individual is going to overcome those teams without a team that can already compete with them.

Those five teams have been consistently in the latter stages of the Champions League in recent years. No English team has so no it's not the same as just doing it against the English teams in the PL up until this season anyway. That was my point.

I think Spurs are capable of competing with any team in Europe and not getting embarrassed. A striker should of course be judged by what they do up against the best defenders when they won't get as much space or as many chances. It's common sense when you are talking about how to rate a player who you think is the best in the world in their position

Sorry but your point about gauging him is completely ridiculous. If someone is supposed to be the very best in their position in the world they simply have to prove that against top opposition consistently. Loads of strikers score loads of goals against average and poor sides. How can you say he's better than Cavani, Higuain, Aguero, Suarez, Lewandowski without proving it against the best?

I think realistically you can give him more than 7-8 seasons mind. We don't know how he will age but him playing until he's 35 is definitely possible. 10-11 seasons after this one. Doubt he'll be hitting 20 a season by that point (although Ibra makes it seem possible) but he won't need to if he carries on as he is for the next 5-6 year.

I guess that's part of the question with Kane, is he Ibrahimovic good or is he Rooney good. Which is basically a question of how hungry will he be into the latter stages of career. Rooney seemed to lose it where as someone like Ibra kept that youthful desire and hunger to score. Messi, Ronaldo & perhaps Robben/Ribery fall into that category too - where age doesn't seem to factor into their ability to succeed.

To be fair to Kane though, his attitude and fitness seem spot on - but at the same time if his head is turned by one of the big clubs - even if just for a few seasons - his chance at the record will be gone.

Here we go.

It's not really that, just Kane until this season had done nothing in Europe's elite competition. It's completely fair to hold off on calling someone the best till they prove it against the best imo.

Yeah, but that's part of the point. He hasn't really had the opportunities. He was injured last year but scored two goals in three games. You would see it crop up in Redcafe/Arsemania/RAWK conversations about Kane - "He can't do it in the CL". He never had the chance. This year he has five in two, and the narrative is now "he has to do it against the big teams in the latter stages".

It's just amusing, really. I'm not going to say he's the best in the world, but equally he hadn't "done nothing" until this season.

Said it before, over a 38 game season i'd have Kane over any striker in the PL and must be top 5 in the world.

Beyond the PL who are the top strikers if we don't include Mess/Ronaldo? Suarez, Benzema, Costa, Griezmann, Cavani, Lewandowski, Aubameyang. Maybe some lads in Italy?

DI'll have Kane over all of them in Spain except Suarez to be the leading goalscorer in a team. Don't watch must German football but feel like i've seen loads of Cavani over the years and i'd slightly rather Kane. Although I find Cavani more exciting.

Guest firetotheworks

Here we go.

Sorry but your point about gauging him is completely ridiculous. If someone is supposed to be the very best in their position in the world they simply have to prove that against top opposition consistently. Loads of strikers score loads of goals against average and poor sides. How can you say he's better than Cavani, Higuain, Aguero, Suarez, Lewandowski without proving it against the best?

This is what I meant by 'here we go'

I said arguably the best in the world, I didn't say he was better than them. My point is that the top premier league teams are amongst the best. I'll leave it at that because I honestly can't be arsed tbh. [emoji38]

Think Lukaku will break the record fwiw, not Kane.

It's always easy to forget how young he is like given he's been known for nearly a decade. The major thing with Lukaku though is that he's more likely to move abroad than Kane is.

I wouldn't be so sure. I could see someone like Real Madrid looking at him as an upgrade on Benzema in a year or two.