Newcastle United 1 - 0 Burton Albion - 05/04/17 - NUFC relegated to League Two

Dave

Good on him for apologizing but that doesn't excuse him and his crew for utter incompetency. Having said that Gayle needs to learn to hold his run a bit, if the proper rules had been applied and Ritchie retook and subsequently miss that would have been just as bad, no reason to be that fast off the mark, with his pace, he's probably gonna get there ahead of the others anyway.

So why was the free kick awarded about a yard away from the penalty spot?

It was taken from where Gayle ended up.

so another new variation? :lol:

He ended up on the other side of the box?

Surely it would be on the box edge where he encroached

Eh? Watch it. It was taken from EXACTLY where Gayle was.

No it wasn't

No it wasn't.

It 100% was.

The U19s women's game. Did play restart straight from the penalty kick? :lol:

Yeah. She scored too.

What a head fuck that must have been. Longest build up to a penalty, ever. Travelling all that way, too. :lol:

No it wasn't.

It 100% was.

So it's as the kicks taken or hit the back of the net?

That's amazing. Firstly, that an experienced ref can make that mistake. And secondly, that none of the other three officials were able to correct him.

For some reason, refs are now much more lenient when it comes to enforcing offences at penalties than they used to be. A while back, I reckon about 1 in 3 penalties got retaken, either for the keeper moving early, or a player encroaching. It was such a frequent occurrence that a ref would never get the response wrong.

I can only think that Gayle's encroachment was so blatant, and the defender had been so forceful in pointing it out, that the ref felt he had not choice but to give it. He then got confused about the right response, almost through a lack of familiarity with the situation.

All the same, it's a bad, bad error. It's just as well we won.

No it wasn't.

It 100% was.

So it's as the kicks taken or hit the back of the net?

There's a screen shot in this thread showing where Gayle is as Ritchie strikes the ball. The ref puts the ball where Gayle was at that point. It was taken from there.

Just reading from the bad officiating thread - apparently the 4th official argued with Stroud for a couple of minutes, telling him that he had got it wrong. Stroud wouldn't have any of it. Prick! He should be thankful that it didn't cost us the game.

I just hope this having to replay is bullshit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Match might end up getting replayed. Happened in some lasses international game. Martin Hardy posted it earlier.

Not a chance it will be replayed, we were wronged and still won, no way could that be replayed.

Getting back to the game...I thought we played the best football we've played in a long time, but still lacked that final ball / finish. Some very nice passing moves at times. Ritchie MOM. Diame and Atsu v good. Nice to see Mbemba back and playing quite well (apart from a bit of miscommunication with Darlow once or twice). All round, decent stuff.

You do realise it was only 1-0 against Burton Albion though? Which automatically means we were UTTER SHITE.

Well that was batshit crazy! From where I was sitting (about 10 metres away) it appeared that the 4th official called the ref over, brought an iPad across and, I assume, Googled the rules. I couldn't hear what they were saying (the booing was that loud), but definitely saw the fourth official telling him he was wrong. Never seen anything like it. Fair play to admitting to their mistake... the cynic in me tells me had it been a draw or loss they'd have been making up any reason under the sun for the decision.

Getting back to the game...I thought we played the best football we've played in a long time, but still lacked that final ball / finish. Some very nice passing moves at times. Ritchie MOM. Diame and Atsu v good. Nice to see Mbemba back and playing quite well (apart from a bit of miscommunication with Darlow once or twice). All round, decent stuff.

What fucking choice did they have? :lol: The time for him/them to commendably admit it was when confronted with the evidence you speak of, surely.

You do realise it was only 1-0 against Burton Albion though? Which automatically means we were UTTER SHITE.

It was like a lot of games this season. Trying to break down a shit team and struggled a bit. We played some alright stuff, but neither great not gash.