Newcastle United 1 - 0 Burton Albion - 05/04/17 - NUFC relegated to League Two

Dave

I was sat adjacent to the spot for 'the penalty that wasn't' and Gayle was almost level with Ritchie when he took the kick. However, when doesn't a team do this now? It was just unadulterated nonsense from all 4 officials. The bizarre 3 minutes added on was just salt in the wounds. At half time it was just a sea of bemused faces frantically googling the rules of the game.

In terms of how we played, I'm surprised with the negative reviews of Atsu! I thought he had a great game, constant threat. After the penalty incident and the crowd had their tales up he seemed to have an extra gear, it was great to see. Mbemba was great until we scored, then he became the biggest culprit of the nerves near the end.

Overall I thought the football was a lot more entertaining than recently, as expected with the line-up. Diame looked gassed very early on in midfield but still an upgrade on Jogback. On the flip side, I Burton were the worst team I've seen at SJP all season (even with 12 men) and didn't really offer much of a threat.

All said and done I think we looked much more like a side worthy of promotion than we have in recent games. More of the same please!

Yep, happened in front of me and thought at time that he let himself be fouled, is most charitable way of putting it. That said, makes no difference to what then happened and in terms or righting wrongs, a much less debatable penalty was waved away early on. Haven't seen it back, but had good view and looked nailed on.

Enjoyed that last night. I think it was arguably our most dominant/comfortable performance since Birmingham at home - until the last 10 minutes when we seemed incapable of passing a ball.

There's no point in me waffling on about the penalty because it looks like it has been done to death but the atmosphere incredible up until half time. Credit to the lads in the corner as well they really try and force the atmosphere all the way through the game.

I thought Atsu was poor until he was moved to the right and then he looked like he caused problems. I think I'd sign him if his price was reasonable, as a squad player I think he could be useful.

I really wanted Perez to step up this season too but he had another two really good chances last night - one that wasn't shown on the highlights after some nice one touch play by us that he totally skyed.

Diame had a mixed game but really stepped up in the last 10 minutes and tried to win the ball when none of our players looked like they wanted it.

I also thought the defence did pretty well considering they had so little to do, the distribution was good. I've missed having Mbemba nipping in front of the striker and pinching the ball. No idea how they managed to get 2 or 3 unmarked players from that set piece straight after we scored though. I can't imagine that'll go unnoticed from Rafa.

I do get the feeling when watching us that we're almost single-handedly being dragged to the Premier League by Matt Ritchie. We're so reliant on him grabbing the game by the balls. 

Full PGMOL statement:

"In this evening's EFL Championship game between Newcastle United and Burton Albion, referee Keith Stroud awarded Newcastle a penalty in the 29th minute.

"As Matt Ritchie took the kick, Dwight Gayle encroached in the penalty area.

"An indirect free kick was awarded to Burton, but the Laws of the Game state that the penalty kick should have been retaken.

"Unfortunately the referee has misapplied the Law.

"Keith and his team are understandably upset at the lapse in concentration and apologise for the mistake."

Quoted from .com

It was the 3 minutes added that had me perplexed.

That and why the Burton players didn't leave the pitch after they got treatment.

You don't have to leave the pitch if it's a head injury. Seems he did know that rule.

Enjoyed that last night. I think it was arguably our most dominant/comfortable performance since Birmingham at home - until the last 10 minutes when we seemed incapable of passing a ball.

There's no point in me waffling on about the penalty because it looks like it has been done to death but the atmosphere incredible up until half time. Credit to the lads in the corner as well they really try and force the atmosphere all the way through the game.

I thought Atsu was poor until he was moved to the right and then he looked like he caused problems. I think I'd sign him if his price was reasonable, as a squad player I think he could be useful.

I really wanted Perez to step up this season too but he had another two really good chances last night - one that wasn't shown on the highlights after some nice one touch play by us that he totally skyed.

Diame had a mixed game but really stepped up in the last 10 minutes and tried to win the ball when none of our players looked like they wanted it.

I also thought the defence did pretty well considering they had so little to do, the distribution was good. I've missed having Mbemba nipping in front of the striker and pinching the ball. No idea how they managed to get 2 or 3 unmarked players from that set piece straight after we scored though. I can't imagine that'll go unnoticed from Rafa.

I do get the feeling when watching us that we're almost single-handedly being dragged to the Premier League by Matt Ritchie. We're so reliant on him grabbing the game by the balls. 

I thought it was a tough game for us last night and we handled it really well.  They had virtually everybody behind the ball and it was difficult for us to create any space.  Before the game I suspected that our best chance would be to get some decent free kicks which we could open them up with and while that wasn't what won us the game it was as tight as I'd expected.  The forward players were on a hiding to nothing trying to get past so many players and I think we did just about enough in front of goal.  I think players like Atsu, Ritchie, Shelvey and Perez will have more space to work in if we do go up and I think we'll be much more effective next season.

Missed all of this. To recap, correct me if I'm wrong, we won but the level of N-O bitchin' n' moanin' reached critical mass at some point?

The ref made the worst mistake I have ever seen basically. He didn't know the rules.

Was almost like he was American

Big win last night, the penalty fiasco could have really thrown us off course. :thup:

Took us a while to regain our composure, Dave. Just relieved we won in the end, because what Stroud did could have had massive implications in the race for promotion, had we not won.

I thought his control and pass leading up to the penalty was sublime - simply magic to bring it down the way he did and put the perfectly weighted ball through for Gayle to run onto. Gayle falling over the defender's legs took the gloss off the move, though. Not to mention the shenanigans of the "Stroud decision".

Which games get the full 90 posted online? Couldn't follow the game last night.

All of them :thup: Usually up around 12 the day after IIRC. This will be the first one in a while that I fancy watching.

I thought his control and pass leading up to the penalty was sublime - simply magic to bring it down the way he did and put the perfectly weighted ball through for Gayle to run onto. Gayle falling over the defender's legs took the gloss off the move, though. Not to mention the shenanigans of the "Stroud decision".

I didn't really notice it too much from where I was sat but it certainly looks a lot better since I've seen the highlights.

I seem to have a bias towards Perez though I'm not sure why, I'm desperate for him to do well.

Missed all of this. To recap, correct me if I'm wrong, we won but the level of N-O bitchin' n' moanin' reached critical mass at some point?

The ref made the worst mistake I have ever seen basically. He didn't know the rules.

Was almost like he was American

[emoji38]

Just watched the highlights. I'm not sure which is the bigger error. Penalty cancellation or the fact he gave a penalty in the first place.

There's a big difference between misjudging a foul and ignorance about a fairly basic law of the game. Particularly when it seems that the fourth official was trying to help him out. That's what the fuss is about.

Whatever you think about their competence, referees at that level are dedicated individuals, and the bloke must be feeling crap. He will have devoted a major part of his life to reaching that level. Luckily for him, it didn't affect the result.

I think you've took what I've said a little too literally :lol:

What I was trying to point out that no one seemed to of mentioned from the few pages I read was that it wasn't a penalty in the first place.

It definitely was a penalty like. From my seat, within 20 metres of it, Gayle is clearly looking for the defender to make contact and goes down as soon as he gets it, but he 100% clipped his legs.

Was there enough contact to make Gayle fall ? Doesn't look like it to me. Please don't go down the Michael Owen "there was contact" route as that's actually cheating.

Just watched the highlights. I'm not sure which is the bigger error. Penalty cancellation or the fact he gave a penalty in the first place.

There's a big difference between misjudging a foul and ignorance about a fairly basic law of the game. Particularly when it seems that the fourth official was trying to help him out. That's what the fuss is about.

Whatever you think about their competence, referees at that level are dedicated individuals, and the bloke must be feeling crap. He will have devoted a major part of his life to reaching that level. Luckily for him, it didn't affect the result.

I think you've took what I've said a little too literally :lol:

What I was trying to point out that no one seemed to of mentioned from the few pages I read was that it wasn't a penalty in the first place.

It definitely was a penalty like. From my seat, within 20 metres of it, Gayle is clearly looking for the defender to make contact and goes down as soon as he gets it, but he 100% clipped his legs.

Was there enough contact to make Gayle fall ? Doesn't look like it to me. Please don't go down the Michael Owen "there was contact" route as that's actually cheating.

I think so, yes. At the speed he was running it doesn't take much. It's the way he emphasises his fall that ironically makes it look more dubious.

At the time I thought he dived and even after watching it a few times I can't make my mind up. He certainly made the most out of it and I have a feeling if he'd have been headin directly towards goal he may not have hit the deck.

I thought Burton were the first team in ages that didn't try and man mark Shelvey out of the game and they seemed happy for him to have the ball, sadly his radar seemed off for most of the night. He did put an absolutely crunching tackle not long after the penalty incident.

I thought Ayoze got himself into some great positions and had some nice touches but his composure and decision making was quite poor. Wish he'd finished that chance in the second half

Guest neesy111

Does our team have an issue with finishing?  Seems in games where we create chances we don't take proper advantage?

Does our team have an issue with finishing?  Seems in games where we create chances we don't take proper advantage?

I would say we do a bit aye, but in games like yesterday where the opponents sit back all game, there's always going to be a lot of shots not hitting the target.

Just got home. f***ing A1 closed (and then M62 grrrrr) probably Keith Stroud driving down the wrong carriageway.... Highway Code Keef, read the f***ing rules, man.

FWIW, I thought we played ok. Shelvey was a bit off the pace and Perez lacked purpose/drive; a couple of glimpses of what he 'could be' great touches/movement but largely anonymous.

Quite surprised people thought Mbemba and Atsu had s*** games. Bar one attempted kung fu kick at the ball when he should have left it for Darlow, I thought Chancel was pretty steady and made at least half a dozen good interceptions and blocks. Couple of good headed clearances spring to mind also. Atsu looked like he had real fire in his belly. Thought he had a great first half (a view shared by Ritchie, judging by the amount of praise he was giving him in the way off). After the penalty debacle  (Stroud also missed a more clear pen, imo, early on) Atsu was in overdrive, really took the game to (the mighty) Burton. Accept his end product is often off key, but if it wasn't he'd be playing for Chelsea. Basically I liked what he did tonight.

Oh, and whilst I think on, I can't stand how much moaning and groaning is going on at home games lately. The disapproving groans were off the Richter scale a couple of times. How the f*** does that help? Moaning entitled t***s. Most attempts at something non-Colbackesque don't come off, moaning like entitled princesses when it goes wrong isn't going to encourage wingers to try and beat a man, or midfielders to go for the low probability through pass. It used to be the Makems who had the reputation for getting on their own players backs, seems to me that we're now pretty hard to beat in this dept. Sadly.

I never really take that much notice on people's opinions of individual performances on here, apart from a few whose opinion I respect. It's all too subjective, and I much prefer to judge players after watching them myself. I didn't see the game yesterday, but listening on the radio it sounded like we dominated it from start to finish so we can't have played that bad. I'm pleased about that, because it was one of the most attacking line ups Rafa has put out, and we really needed to win it so we can see more of that in the future.

Darlow - 6 (Pulled off an important save near the end but his kicking and occasional decision making let him down, average overall)

Anita - 6 (Some poor passes but generally sound from a positioning point of view)

Lascelles - 6 (Had nothing too much to deal with but solid when called upon, did nothing extraordinary)

Mbemba - 6 (Better of the 2 CB's today, but for that air swipe and his poor communication issues he dominated everything by cutting in front and being a strong presence)

Dummett - 7 (Didn't really put a foot wrong, had some good crosses but I suspect they were more scuffed than owt else, will give him the benefit of the doubt though)

Ritchie - 8 (Scored the penalty that allegedly should have been retaken. Scored a quality goal on his wrong foot. Generally motivated the crowd and the players in a healthy manner and focused everyone on the matter at hand. Arguably good captain material for me.)

Shelvey - 6 (One poor tackle just after the penalty which should have probably resulted in a yellow card, another great tackle shortly after, fine lines I guess. Nowt spectacular from him given what he is capable of though.)

Diame - 6 (Pinged some good passes and played some terrible ones, grafted hard in the middle and looked a better option then Cack Jogback but that unfortunately doesn't say much.)

Atsu - 6 (Looked a threat but his over-one-footed-ness and indecision to go passed people immediately let him down a little. Could have had a bit more joy if he did both.)

Perez - 6 (Some quality technique and ball play, but quite simply shitting his pants. A common theme this season. Expect him to be more protected and thus more effective next year.)

Gayle - 7 (Dangerous but didn't really have too much effect on the game as such, made the most of the penalty tackle, grafted like fuck towards the end though which I was well impressed with, helped alleviate the pressure from the team and see the match out, didn't really make many (if any) mistakes hence the higher sco' than Mo'.)

That'd probably be my player ratings for last night.

Generally, we set up with the same formation but more attacking players which I was glad to see. Astounding decision from the referee for the free-kick from the penalty, the added time was ridiculous also. Thankfully, it didn't cost us. Think we're up now. Ultimately, I had to chuckle when I walked passed the bus stop last night and heard two or three fellas talking about the match and overheard one just round of conversation by saying "Weeey y'kna, after aal that we got the 3 points that's aal that matters." Summed it up really, sums much of our season up but for a few highs (Brighton, Huddersfield, Leeds and QPR away and maybe Norwich at home) and a few lows (virtually all our defeats). Onwards and upwards...hopefully!