Newcastle United lose Judicial Review against HMRC

ChrisMcQuillan

Guest neesy111

The independent report it's the club that is being investigated along with individuals.  I think the club is involved, otherwise they wouldn't take papers, computers away from the club's premises.

I hope it's personal but if a business, in this case the club, is suspected of wrongdoing then it would be the CEO who would be the person that would be arrested. As the figurehead and the person who is responsible for whatever happens in departments that sit under him.

From Wikipedia regarding Swindon Town in 1990:

Although they won the promotion play-offs, Swindon Town did not compete in the First Division during the following season. The 1989–90 season had seen the club charged with 36 breaches of Football League regulations[2] – 35 of which related to illegal payments made to players between 1985 and 1989.

A hearing to decide the club's fate was scheduled for 4 May – before the play-offs began – but this was postponed on legal advice just days before it was due when Swindon chairman Brian Hillier, club accountant Vince Farrar and former team manager Lou Macari were all charged by police for "intent to defraud Inland Revenue by making payments without deducting tax or NI". (In July 1992 both Hillier and Farrar were found guilty of these charges, while Macari was cleared).

Hillier and Macari had already been punished by the FA in February 1990 for their involvement in a £6,500 bet being placed on Swindon losing to Newcastle United in a tie during the 1987–88 FA Cup. The bet was successful and netted £4,000 winnings. As this activity ran counter to FA rules that forbid any bets by club officials or players on their own team, both were found guilty. Hillier was given a six-month suspension from football, but after he (unsuccessfully) appealed, the FA increased it to three years. Macari was fined £1,000 (upheld after his own appeal), and Swindon Town given a £7,500 fine.

At a Football League hearing on 7 June, Swindon pleaded guilty to all 36 charges against them and admitted a further twenty. The league decreed that the club would be denied promotion and instead demoted to the Third Division. Six days later, it was announced that losing play-off finalists Sunderland would be instead promoted to the First Division. This was controversial as Newcastle felt that as they had finished third, three places above bitter rivals Sunderland, they should have been promoted instead. The FA's decision stood and Sunderland were promoted.

Swindon launched a High Court appeal against the Football League's double demotion, claiming it to be "harsh, oppressive and disproportionate to previous penalties". However, within days they dropped this action and instead appealed directly to the FA. On 2 July an FA Appeal Panel reduced the punishment to the club simply remaining in the Second Division; Tranmere Rovers – the losing play-off finalists in the Third Division – who were to have replaced Swindon in the second level were therefore denied promotion.

My arse is officially in 'twitch' mode.

Never ever under-estimate the ability of Newcastle United to shoot itself in the foot, particularly since Ashley bought us. I'd suggest this involves the club as well as Charnley - I've got a good mate who works for HRMC to do with this and he can't say owt (have asked!) He'd face jail time if he let on.

My understanding is that income tax is a personal tax bill/return.

If it was the club (or company from how HMRC would view it) as a whole that needed investigation things like corporation tax, etc would be being looked at, too.

It seems the records that were seized are relating to the specific individuals being investigated.

Not seeing anything mentioning records that could relate to Newcastle United as a whole being investigated, just income tax and insurance, meaning they would need records from Newcastle relating to these crook's pay, etc.

The club itself doesn't appear to be in trouble, not yet anyway. We'll see if they decide the club needs a investigation, too.

Never ever under-estimate the ability of Newcastle United to shoot itself in the foot, particularly since Ashley bought us. I'd suggest this involves the club as well as Charnley - I've got a good mate who works for HRMC to do with this and he can't say owt (have asked!) He'd face jail time if he let on.

:pards:

So we're either totally, absolutely, completely f***ed or there is nothing to worry about? Great stuff.

As it stands I would be quite confident the club is okay.

It's just that twat Chanley and a few of his buddies in a bit of hot water.

Guest neesy111

Wrong, income tax is the tax everyone pay's on their income whether it's via PAYE or Tax Return.  So it can easily be to do with the club and how it's submitting it's payroll etc.

Although they won the promotion play-offs, Swindon Town did not compete in the First Division during the following season. The 1989–90 season had seen the club charged with 36 breaches of Football League regulations[2] – 35 of which related to illegal payments made to players between 1985 and 1989.

A hearing to decide the club's fate was scheduled for 4 May – before the play-offs began – but this was postponed on legal advice just days before it was due when Swindon chairman Brian Hillier, club accountant Vince Farrar and former team manager Lou Macari were all charged by police for "intent to defraud Inland Revenue by making payments without deducting tax or NI". (In July 1992 both Hillier and Farrar were found guilty of these charges, while Macari was cleared).

Hillier and Macari had already been punished by the FA in February 1990 for their involvement in a £6,500 bet being placed on Swindon losing to Newcastle United in a tie during the 1987–88 FA Cup. The bet was successful and netted £4,000 winnings. As this activity ran counter to FA rules that forbid any bets by club officials or players on their own team, both were found guilty. Hillier was given a six-month suspension from football, but after he (unsuccessfully) appealed, the FA increased it to three years. Macari was fined £1,000 (upheld after his own appeal), and Swindon Town given a £7,500 fine.

At a Football League hearing on 7 June, Swindon pleaded guilty to all 36 charges against them and admitted a further twenty. The league decreed that the club would be denied promotion and instead demoted to the Third Division. Six days later, it was announced that losing play-off finalists Sunderland would be instead promoted to the First Division. This was controversial as Newcastle felt that as they had finished third, three places above bitter rivals Sunderland, they should have been promoted instead. The FA's decision stood and Sunderland were promoted.

Swindon launched a High Court appeal against the Football League's double demotion, claiming it to be "harsh, oppressive and disproportionate to previous penalties". However, within days they dropped this action and instead appealed directly to the FA. On 2 July an FA Appeal Panel reduced the punishment to the club simply remaining in the Second Division; Tranmere Rovers – the losing play-off finalists in the Third Division – who were to have replaced Swindon in the second level were therefore denied promotion.

The league decreed that the club would be denied promotion and instead demoted to the Third Division.

imagine :lol:

Wrong, income tax is the tax everyone pay's on their income whether it's via PAYE or Tax Return.

Right so that suggests a failure on the club's behalf to properly deduct taxes.

I was thinking along the lines of things like directors needing to file their own personal income tax returns separately and that could what is being looked at. 

That would include all their it income whether it be from Newcastle United, the shop down the road or anywhere.

It just doesn't seem the club is in any trouble just certain individuals, not yet.

Realistically we're likely to get at least a season of Premier League football before any case can be ruled on, so we might as well enjoy the next 12 months.

aye with Alan Curbishley as manager

Guest neesy111

Wrong, income tax is the tax everyone pay's on their income whether it's via PAYE or Tax Return.

I was thinking along the lines of things like directors needing to file their own personal income tax returns separately and that could what is being looked at. 

That would include all their it income whether it be from Newcastle United, the shop down the road or anywhere.

It just doesn't seem the club is in any trouble just certain individuals, not yet.

While that is true, 2 clubs were raided at the same time and 180 officers were deployed.  I really don't think they'd send that many out if it were just individual tax cases.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/pwnt.gif

While that is true, 2 clubs were raided at the same time and 180 officers were deployed.  I really don't think they'd send that many out if it were just individual tax cases.

You could be right, time will tell.

I am personally staying positive regarding the club's fortune in this until I see something more clear and persuasive to me otherwise.