Newcastle United lose Judicial Review against HMRC

ChrisMcQuillan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't suppose it would mean a great deal? The investigation itself came to nothing, am I right? We were just challenging the heavy-handedness of it?

The investigation could not happen as they could not examine the documents they seized.  The fact that we have tried to stop them having access does not bode well in my opinion, if there was nothing to hide why launch the challenge.

This might not end well

Don't suppose it would mean a great deal? The investigation itself came to nothing, am I right? We were just challenging the heavy-handedness of it?

The investigation could not happen as they could not examine the documents they seized.  The fact that we have tried to stop them having access does not bode well in my opinion, if there was nothing to hide why launch the challenge.

This might not end well

It might mean that Mike is keener to walk away though.

This might not end well

.... or any potential investor

This might not end well

Any potential investor will be completely innocent though. Anything happening here will be against individuals.

This might not end well

Any potential investor will be completely innocent though. Anything happening here will be against individuals.

3964aaada0fb869dc0e13d01deb37fb9.jpg

This might not end well

Not necessarily, the club could be held accountable under FA rules, depending on what is found and the charges

And if we got a 10pt deduction from the league, increasing chance of relegation all the more then any potential buyer might well be considerably put off. It may come to nothing but it seems a bit fishy as to why the club would try to block the investigation... it'd be the typical toxic outcome from the current regime.

Wasn't Newcastle's case that they thought HMRC had been particularly heavy handed in their approach to this, which anecdotal stuff I've heard would certainly bear out, and not really to do with the enquiry itself which is a bit flimsy anyway ?

Have West Ham challenged it too? I’ve heard nothing about their involvement and their offices were searched too.

I've heard, pretty credibly, that Newcastle weren't so concerned about the investigation itself but the extremely heavy handed, almost SWAT like, manner in which it was carried out.