Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

We can have a really decent side with a few more additions like, it's going to be so fucking irritating if we go into the season without spending the extra £30-40m that we need.

Wolfsberg literally never tried like, they couldn't even be arsed to play the offside trap :lol:

That was the first time I've seen Merino and, even though he only touched the ball a handful of times, he looks quality. Broke up the play a few times with well timed tackles and showed some lovely vision, especially that outside of the boot pass to Aarons. Pretty excited by him I have to say. Could turn out to be a great bit of business.

That was the first time I've seen Merino and, even though he only touched the ball a handful of times, he looks quality. Broke up the play a few times with well timed tackles and showed some lovely vision, especially that outside of the boot pass to Aarons. Pretty excited by him I have to say. Could turn out to be a great bit of business.

This is why spending £7m under Rafa is a different prospect to spending that amount under Carr and McClaren etc. He will make sure we still get players that are motivated and have something to offer, even if they are his third choice.

And... If he's mint, we will automatically have him next season, since he's not officially our player until next summer.

Our squad is alright, just needs a couple more to be more confident. Then when we've stayed up we can hopefully add a few more expensive stars.

dat ambition. Doubt Rafa merely wants to 'stay up' this season. What we should do, is invest the fucking necessary amount to make the squad fit for purpose. Which in my opinion, we haven't and we wont.

And... If he's mint, we will automatically have him next season, since he's not officially our player until next summer.

He'll be like a new signing.

Our squad is alright, just needs a couple more to be more confident. Then when we've stayed up we can hopefully add a few more expensive stars.

dat ambition. Doubt Rafa merely wants to 'stay up' this season. What we should do, is invest the fucking necessary amount to make the squad fit for purpose. Which in my opinion, we haven't and we wont.

I think Rafa and most fans would be happy with survival.

Jesus man, I just mean that when we have a year of PL money we will hopefully be allowed to spend it.

I can guarantee everyone will be foaming if we just survive like, we've been through a few of those seasons and they're absolutely horrendous.

It depends how. Obviously you're right if we play shit and end up battling all season. Different matter if we play quite well and lose a few at the end.

dat ambition. Doubt Rafa merely wants to 'stay up' this season. What we should do, is invest the f***ing necessary amount to make the squad fit for purpose. Which in my opinion, we haven't and we wont.

I'm not sure. Not investing in the playing squad so that we end up finishing 15th-17th is a bit of a waste when Benitez is manager like. Cant see him sticking around longer if we struggle to survive and it's clearly down to the quality in the squad.

We need a left back. Dummett's defensive solidity doesn't look up to much.

Biggest concern of the pre-season for me. Obviously we need another striker, a true number 10 and the GK situation needs addressing (although I think Krul and Darlow would adequately get us through the season, Elliot looked suspect today in the little work he had, he was sloppy) but the more I see of Dummett this pre-season the more I worry, the problem is compounded by the lack of alternatives.

I can guarantee everyone will be foaming if we just survive like, we've been through a few of those seasons and they're absolutely horrendous.

It depends how. Obviously you're right if we play shit and end up battling all season. Different matter if we play quite well and lose a few at the end.

We'd have to lose about 10 in a row like what happened with Carver though (after Pardew started poorly, then went on a good run). To finish on around 40 points you have to be pretty terrible for most of the season.

I get 'survival is key' but a season of being bummed most weeks starts to wear on you after a while.

Honestly, I don't think we'll see Colback start a game once Merino is up to speed.  Everyone rejoice!

I won't be happy until he's gone. He's still there to come on as a sub and give away stupid freekicks that cost us goals.

We can have a really decent side with a few more additions like, it's going to be so f***ing irritating if we go into the season without spending the extra £30-40m that we need.

Wolfsberg literally never tried like, they couldn't even be arsed to play the offside trap :lol:

I watch German football every week and the defences never play offside.  Defensively they are rubbish

dat ambition. Doubt Rafa merely wants to 'stay up' this season. What we should do, is invest the f***ing necessary amount to make the squad fit for purpose. Which in my opinion, we haven't and we wont.

I'm not sure. Not investing in the playing squad so that we end up finishing 15th-17th is a bit of a waste when Benitez is manager like. Cant see him sticking around longer if we struggle to survive and it's clearly down to the quality in the squad.

Ashley isn't going to put in his own money.