Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

Good performance before the subs, standouts were probably Lejeune, Shelvey, Manquillo, Atsu.

We have a very decent team but it's so disappointing that we haven't gone a tiny bit further to add some goal threat at #10 and up front. Would make all the difference.

We have a lot of intelligent players and players comfortable on the ball, so hopefully they can execute Rafa's instructions.

Aarons might be faster over the longer distance but the difference in footballing ability and intelligence between him and Atsu is pretty big.

Aarons is a young lad still learning the game. Ideally we would have a good enough squad to send him out on loan and see him get a full season of football under his belt in the Championship.

Aarons has played fewer than 20 games of first team, competitive professional football in his career.

He has plenty of talent, but needs to learn how and when to use it.

Aarons might be faster over the longer distance but the difference in footballing ability and intelligence between him and Atsu is pretty big.

Aarons is a young lad still learning the game. Ideally we would have a good enough squad to send him out on loan and see him get a full season of football under his belt in the Championship.

Aarons has played fewer than 20 games of first team, competitive professional football in his career.

He has plenty of talent, but needs to learn how and when to use it.

Fair enough, but even for his age I just think he looks too raw and headless.

Guest firetotheworks

The concern with De Jong is that he's probably pretty easy to nullify. He's a technically gifted and intelligent footballer, but man mark him with a bit of physicality and that's him out of the game. Even if he had enough strength or tenacity to hold his own I'd probably be saying that he should start.

The concern with De Jong is that he's probably pretty easy to nullify. He's a technically gifted and intelligent footballer, but man mark him with a bit of physicality and that's him out of the game. Even if he had enough strength or tenacity to hold his own I'd probably be saying that he should start.

The hope would be that if that would happen then it will give more space to others, obviously this is implying he's not injured tbh.

Is that true though? Surely if you're intelligent and technical you can out think the stronger players?

too lightweight.

Guest firetotheworks

Is that true though? Surely if you're intelligent and technical you can out think the stronger players?

Probably not, if you're being man marked.

Also, de Jong ain't playing.  Rafa wants a workhorse #10 who can drop into midfield and press the opposition defence.  de Jong can't do that, Ayoze and Diame (shudder) can.

too lightweight.

de Jong's physically better equipped to play as a 10 than Perez IMO. Think back to the last game against the Mackems - Kirchhoff bullied Perez in the centre, particularly when Perez received the ball with his back to goal. Rafa saw this, moved Perez wide and brought de Jong on to match Kirchhoff and we looked much better in the middle as a result.

Ultimately it'll be horses for courses between the two I think - suspect that de Jong will work better with Gayle leading the line and Ayoze with Mitro.

too lightweight.

de Jong's physically better equipped to play as a 10 than Perez IMO. Think back to the last game against the Mackems - Kirchhoff bullied Perez in the centre, particularly when Perez received the ball with his back to goal. Rafa saw this, moved Perez wide and brought de Jong on to match Kirchhoff and we looked much better in the middle as a result.

Ultimately it'll be horses for courses between the two I think - suspect that de Jong will work better with Gayle leading the line and Ayoze with Mitro.

fair dos, think we need another option to come in but hey ho we will see about that.

too lightweight.

Lightweights, which he aint IMO can make it in the prem. But aside from that it's his intelligent use of the ball that makes him good aswell as being able to get into decent positions and finish. Can he translate this to the prem is the question purely on the football front, however the main question is wether he is injury prone or unlucky with injuries ?

Also, de Jong ain't playing.  Rafa wants a workhorse #10 who can drop into midfield and press the opposition defence.  de Jong can't do that, Ayoze and Diame (shudder) can.

Struggling to make sense of that. Drop into midfield to press on ?

No team will man mark anyone in our side this season unless we are playing a lower league side in the cup. Not really done at the top level.

Herrera on Hazard last season is the only time in recent memory I can remember it working effectively