Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

Guest firetotheworks

Nah, he wasn't calamitous, he was just poor at pretty much everything. Bramble was calamitous, whilst being good at things he'd just kick fresh air randomly, or make a totally stupid decision every now and then.

I think Bramble's good games far outweighed his poor games though.

Wey I think he's the most calamitous defender I've seen at Newcastle like, so it goes without saying that I completely disagree. [emoji38] Disagree with the rest of it as well tbh.

Guest neesy111

That Liverpool game he was 100% calamitous, only worse performance I seen was by Cacapa vs Portsmouth.

Guest firetotheworks

Cacapa's another I felt a bit sorry for, more due to him having been a good player at one point.

Found Lejeune's comments from his press conference quite funny that when he heard Rafa Benitez wanted to speak to him he thought it was one of his mates playing a prank on him

Found Lejeune's comments from his press conference quite funny that when he heard Rafa Benitez wanted to speak to him he thought it was one of his mates playing a prank on him

That's why transfers have been slow, Rafa is calling loads of players and they're all "Rafa?! Aye whatever mate, I don't even think he's actually manager of nufc either, byyyyyye"

Brambles very average games far outweighed his decent ones. His good games were very rare.

That's absolute nonsense, like. And I don't just mean the typically strange way you've worded it - like very average at PL level and decent at PL level are hugely contrasting assessments. :lol: He was basically either good, or a blatant rick or two spoiled his performance. There was very little mediocrity to be found in an individual Bramble performance. Bobby was right to speculate and sign him because he had everything physically and technically, just not nearly enough between the ears nor the concentration span.

Brambles very average games far outweighed his decent ones. His good games were very rare.

That's absolute nonsense, like. And I don't just mean the typically strange way you've worded it - like very average at PL level and decent at PL level are hugely contrasting assessments. :lol: He was basically either good, or a blatant rick or two spoiled his performance. There was very little mediocrity to be found in an individual Bramble performance. Bobby was right to speculate and sign him because he had everything physically and technically, just not nearly enough between the ears nor the concentration span.

A "typically" personal Ronaldo post, for no reason whatsoever. I've told you before, there's simply no need.

Anyway, I won't be convinced Bramble was anything other than an average centre half, with a decent physique, who occasionally had good games and also occasionally had some awful games.

I don't see that as a particularly controversial opinion.

If only we had signed Southgate during that period.

That's absolute nonsense, like. And I don't just mean the typically strange way you've worded it - like very average at PL level and decent at PL level are hugely contrasting assessments. [emoji38] He was basically either good, or a blatant rick or two spoiled his performance. There was very little mediocrity to be found in an individual Bramble performance. Bobby was right to speculate and sign him because he had everything physically and technically, just not nearly enough between the ears nor the concentration span.

A "typically" personal Ronaldo post, for no reason whatsoever. I've told you before, there's simply no need.

Anyway, I won't be convinced Bramble was anything other than an average centre half, with a decent physique, who occasionally had good games and also occasionally had some awful games.

I don't see that as a particularly controversial opinion.

If only we had signed Southgate during that period.

Decent and average are basically the same thing

Agree with the tedious thing, but noticed recently that in the world of 'football-speak' decent seems to mean everything from:"Bless my eyes I've just seen the next Messi," to "Had an ok game, pulled his weight." Bit like our general use of 'canny', I guess. Contrast: 'He's a canny lad' (meaning great/would give you his last penny) to an answer to: 'How has this discussion of semantics been?' 'Canny, aye.' (Meaning: boring as f***. Sign someone, please!!!).

How anyone can have a hard on for Bramble i'll never know. What use is a bit of muscle when you're as dense as he was.

I wanted him to do well but he clearly didn't have thimbles worth of the composure and awareness needed to make the right decisions when it mattered.

The fact he went to Wigan and Sunderland afterwards speaks volumes.

Pretty much all that needs to be said on Bramble really. Good enough to shut out top strikers on his day, dim enough to concede goals under barely any pressure on others.

How anyone can have a hard on for Bramble i'll never know. What use is a bit of muscle when you're as dense as he was.

I wanted him to do well but he clearly didn't have thimbles worth of the composure and awareness needed to make the right decisions when it mattered.

He had more than muscle. He was just error-prone. He could be the best and worst CB you'd ever see, I don't think it was down to being thick really. Maybe a lack of confidence/certainty in what he was doing.

FWIW I was always willing Bramble to make it here. He had the pace and muscle to dominate even really good forwards on his day, something that was a rarity for a Newcastle CB back then. In the end he was just too much of a risk with his clangers out of nowhere despite playing well for 85 mins of a game.

Guest neesy111

Bramble had all the attributes to be a very very good CB, but the space between his ears let him down.  We still should have signed Distin ahead of him.

Pretty much all that needs to be said on Bramble really. Good enough to shut out top strikers on his day, dim enough to concede goals under barely any pressure on others.

Precisely.

He had more than muscle. He was just error-prone. He could be the best and worst CB you'd ever see, I don't think it was down to being thick really. Maybe a lack of confidence/certainty in what he was doing.

He was long, long, long way from the best CB i've ever seen.

I mean, so far away it makes it embarrassing.

Bramble was very good technically.  He was a good tackler, quick, decent on the ball, he had all the qualities to be a really good defender except for his concentration.

So, he was good except knowing what to do and when.

Wonder why the rest of the footballing world didn't batter down the 26 year old's door down when he was available on a free....