Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

For me its less passing and more the simple movement of the ball, we've often had terribly slow / slow to pass / slow to move and our attacks take ages to build and we go left to right way too often.

For me its less passing and more the simple movement of the ball, we've often had terribly slow / slow to pass / slow to move and our attacks take ages to build and we go left to right way too often.

:thup: as i've just said in the other post with lejeune we've just added the option to transition from deep in defence to being on the attack extremely quickly...when has that happened to us in recent times?*  we're always slow and ponderous building up

*i'd say the ba/cisse/period is the last one i remember, pardew's 5th season directness as well to some degree

I think because a defender has the whole game in front of them, it's really sexy when they spot an opportunity and pick a pass or run. Mbemba is excellent at it, so is Stones.

Obviously it involves some risk, but that risk seems to attract a lot more criticism than others. Like sliding into a tackle or being in the wrong position.

I think because a defender has the whole game in front of them, it's really sexy when they spot an opportunity and pick a pass or run. Mbemba is excellent at it, so is Stones.

Obviously it involves some risk, but that risk seems to attract a lot more criticism than others. Like sliding into a tackle or being in the wrong position.

Stones is also poor at those aspects of defending

When he got turned easily and had to drag the lad back made for uncomfortable viewing but that's nitpicking overall from the rest of his performance today. Too early to judge though.

• 2 weeks later...