Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

Sorry lads but this guy is s****.  Sick of hearing that he's a "good footballer" - is he f*** man! 

Yeah, it always works out well when you write off a player after what, 6-7 games. Give him a chance FFS!

There are plenty of players who cost 5-6 times what Lejuene cost who have also struggled to adapt to the pace of the PL.

We don't have the luxury of waiting to see if he adapts, he's costing us points at the moment and he needs to be dropped, as a mater of urgency.

No we don't but we haven't exactly got a load of options have we. Lascelles is back now anyway so Lejeune will probably be dropped.

As Rafa has said many times, we are where we are because we did what we did.  If you're only able to pay up to £10m for a CB you're not exactly shopping at the high end of the market are you.

I wonder if there would be a correlation between IQ and calling a player garbage when the team is going through a bad spell.

Just a reminder from pre-season. http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2017/06/21/la-liga-pundit-tells-nufc-fans-exactly-what-they-can-expect-from-incoming-cb-florian-lejeune/

Dunno about IQ but it suggests the person's opinion is entirely based in form and physical evidence. IE. a player is playing bad and therefore must be bad. Which is obviously not the case when you take into account non-physical evidence like confidence & team mentality. It's smarter to not have your opinion change 'with the wind' and instead use a broader scope to base your perspective in.

Aye, but we've established in the Clark thread that Clark isn't a premiership player. So it's going to be added pressure on top of his settling in. I'm confident /praying that when Lascelles returns, both will improve. Clark back to his comfortable best, and Lejeune, who knows what his potential is but I'd say he could be better than Clark.

I wonder if there would be a correlation between IQ and calling a player garbage when the team is going through a bad spell.

Just a reminder from pre-season. http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2017/06/21/la-liga-pundit-tells-nufc-fans-exactly-what-they-can-expect-from-incoming-cb-florian-lejeune/

Dunno about IQ but it suggests the person's opinion is entirely based in form and physical evidence. IE. a player is playing bad and therefore must be bad. Which is obviously not the case when you take into account non-physical evidence like confidence & team mentality. It's smarter to not have your opinion change 'with the wind' and instead use a broader scope to base your perspective in.

Pretty disingenuous really. It is very often the case that certain players can not make the transition from other leagues to the PL.  I agree calling total garbage or whatever is OTT but there is legitimate concerns with him imo

It's also very often the case that people are too quick to make the call on whether someone can make the transition or not. To do so after 10 games definitely is one of those cases, regardless of how bad you have perceived the player to be. There'll be hundreds, even thousands of cases where top players have looked poor for spells of ten games or more. I'm not saying people shouldn't have their opinions on how someone is playing at present, but to use that evidence to form any form of conclusive judgement is nearly always going to result in changing their mind further down the line. Imo, lots of people do this for the small victory of "see I knew it!". That doesn't seem like the greatest way to support a team or a player, we should be rooting for our lot until the evidence is overwhelming in favour of not good enough, Jack Colback for instance.

I can understand in the match thread, if somebody does something shite, people will generally say, "what a load of shite". But surely after the game is over we rationalise and try to recover our positivity going forward.

A player doesn't need to read every online forum to be affected by ongoing criticism. If there is a feeling amongst fans that a player isn't good enough it doesn't take long for that to translate to the pitch.

Footballers are essentially celebrities these days and as such have fragile egos, I imagine when they are sitting in the changing rooms listening for the cheers that accompany their names as the teams are being announced, is similar to eviction night in the big brother house.

Pretty disingenuous really. It is very often the case that certain players can not make the transition from other leagues to the PL.  I agree calling total garbage or whatever is OTT but there is legitimate concerns with him imo

It's also very often the case that people are too quick to make the call on whether someone can make the transition or not. To do so after 10 games definitely is one of those cases, regardless of how bad you have perceived the player to be. There'll be hundreds, even thousands of cases where top players have looked poor for spells of ten games or more. I'm not saying people shouldn't have their opinions on how someone is playing at present, but to use that evidence to form any form of conclusive judgement is nearly always going to result in changing their mind further down the line. Imo, lots of people do this for the small victory of "see I knew it!". That doesn't seem like the greatest way to support a team or a player, we should be rooting for our lot until the evidence is overwhelming in favour of not good enough, Jack Colback for instance.

Nah I get what you're saying, we just have to strike a balance. Personally I think he's been awful recently and there's a chance that his attributes will not make him a success in the PL. Hope I'm wrong

Same here, I've seen a mixture of quality & clumsiness from him so far. I'm still positive that the latter will leave his game once he's settled to use the cliche phrase, and the quality - that is definitely there - will come to the forefront.

Sorry lads but this guy is s****.  Sick of hearing that he's a "good footballer" - is he f*** man!

He is though. Some of his control to knock a ball around or over a defender is classy as fuck. Unfortunately we need him to defend and do the dirty stuff like take a shot to the cock instead of turning his back. Which he isn't doing.

Guest firetotheworks

...or without Lascelles, tbf. He hasn't been great, but the blame isn't anywhere near fully at his door. Clark, Manquillo, Elliot, Darlow, and particularly Yedlin have all been absolutely terrible.

Turning his back for the second had me fuming. It’s a bag of air not a cannonball you soft tvvat

That one got me as well. He needed to rush out and be prepared to block that with his balls if necessary.  I'm not sure any amount of acclimatising will be able to instill that in a defender.

Guest neesy111

One weird moment early in the second half but not really good or bad.

He wasn't great but we did look better at the back today minus on crosses which we've been useless all season with.

I liked the look of him early on.  But he is so slow and nowhere near agile enough.  He makes Lascelles seem as mobile as someone like Varane. 

He is even worse in the flesh and has worryingly, started to look a bit panicked.  He needs to be dropped for Clark (who hasn't been much better this season) as he just seems like a bit of a liability right now.

Yeah I'm not convinced by him at all at the minute. I can't stand his aimless punts up field

He did that loads against Leicester which is why i had a go at him on Saturday night.  Good footballers don't just punt the ball aimlessly towards a 5"7 striker.

To be honest though i'd rather he was just good at the stuff he's meant to be good at - being brave, anticipating danger, winning headers and not making rash decisions.

That thing he did in the second half where he either ducked under the ball or decided to play sunday morning football was bizarre.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he knew what he was doing but only just

That thing he did in the second half where he either ducked under the ball or decided to play sunday morning football was bizarre.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he knew what he was doing but only just

He got a shout from Darlow who knew where the goal was. The ball went out for a goal kick.