Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

The game before he came back (Liverpool I believe?), Lascelles made a dodgy clearance which lead to the goal, and Clark was a lucky b****** getting away with an airkick. Where do you draw the line?

We also conceded a poor goal the game before that at Brighton (needless foul by Lascelles to give away a free-kick) and then were done by a ball into the far post... and that's with Lascelles, Clark & Mbemba. That was from Knockaert, Stephens & Hemed rather than the likes of Pogba, Rashford & Lukaku too.

I thought he was crap tbh. The Lukaku and Smalling goals were unbelievably powderpuff, soft as shite forrin defending. The sort of stuff Coloccini used to get pelters for.

Strangely enough. He reminded me of earlier Coloccini, at times. Not full blown Colo The Clown defending. But some really classy bits of play on the ball, where he looked skillful and composed. Followed by looking like he’s not paying attention and being scared to tackle anyone.

I think he will develop into a top player for us, the same way Colo did. Just hopefully he doesn’t then revert to type, the same was ol floppy hair did.

The game before he came back (Liverpool I believe?), Lascelles made a dodgy clearance which lead to the goal, and Clark was a lucky b****** getting away with an airkick. Where do you draw the line?

We also conceded a poor goal the game before that at Brighton (needless foul by Lascelles to give away a free-kick) and then were done by a ball into the far post... and that's with Lascelles, Clark & Mbemba. That was from Knockaert, Stephens & Hemed rather than the likes of Pogba, Rashford & Lukaku too.

There's a big difference between a sliced clearance that ends up going to one of our own players (the Lascelles one) before being picked up 30 yards from goal dribbled and struck in the top corner from 25 yards. Aaaaand getting beat directly in an aerial duel that leads to a goal.

In a relatively minimal amount of games. Lejeunes has directly been responsible for a few goals being conceded with genuinely poor pieces of defending.  Clark's got away with one at Liverpool and he was directly to blame for the Bournemouth winner but it was contested strongly - he simply lost vs another defender.

Agreed with the Colo comparisons. A good footballer for sure but not certain he's a good defender. In retrospect the 3rd goal was more forgivable than playing someone on for the second. Like Colo I can see him improving to become a good player for us and he doesn't have Colo's physical limitations.

But for now, as long as Lascelles and Clark are fully fit I would start them both ahead of him.

Guest Howaythetoon

He looks a natural footballer and a decent defender so far. In time I'm hopeful he'll form a good partnership with Lascelles who's probably the opposite.

Agreed on Lejeune, but I think Lascelles is actually very good at defending and the better of the two at that. He former is classy on the ball mind, some nice touches and seems to read the game well, always important at the back.

He’s prob our best stand up and tackle CB we have. Especially with faster players coming at him with pace he’s sticking a foot out and winning the ball and carrying it forward.

His issue was he slept on Smalling at back post and seemingly gave up / didn’t think he’d get that? And on the Lukaku won he went in tamely / weakly when he’s a strong CB. 

His strength seems to be his footballing ability, his tackling and heading and he seemingly slept on the things he’s great at for those goals.

Our centre-backs never seem far from a rick, but there's a lot of pressure on them because we can't take the game to anyone. I actually think in Lascelles, Clark, Lejeune and Mbemba - we've potentially got one of the strongest quartets I can remember. But they're all a bit rough around the edges, along with a bit of a pants keeper, full-backs who can't head the ball and a front six with limited attacking prowess.

Our centre-backs never seem far from a rick, but there's a lot of pressure on them because we can't take the game to anyone. I actually think in Lascelles, Clark, Lejeune and Mbemba - we've potentially got one of the strongest quartets I can remember. But they're all a bit rough around the edges, along with a bit of a pants keeper, full-backs who can't head the ball and a front six with limited attacking prowess.

Agreed. We do a lot of defending.

Although, we are pretty tight and compact. A lot of it is dealing with crosses which should be easy work for centre backs.

Our crap goalie doesn't help mind. The left sided deep cross to right should be a go-to move for opposition

He looks a natural footballer and a decent defender so far. In time I'm hopeful he'll form a good partnership with Lascelles who's probably the opposite.

Agreed on Lejeune, but I think Lascelles is actually very good at defending and the better of the two at that. He former is classy on the ball mind, some nice touches and seems to read the game well, always important at the back.

So you agree with me then. :laugh: