Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Always hard to assess players like Murphy since most teams have made a deliberate choice to play inverted wingers and not ask them to get to the byline and cross. 

Presumably if people wanted there would be loads of players like Murphy available, but they're firmly out of fashion along with the strikers that used to covert the headers. Miggy could probably do it quite easily if played on the left.

I definitely want Murphy to stay in the squad though.

That is actually the value of Murphy, he gives us that option to get to the byline and cross it which doesn't seem to come naturally to most of our RW options.

On 28/06/2024 at 08:45, toon25 said:

Shit me, I didn't realise he was 29 [emoji38]

That's the thing with him, everyone still thinks he's 23 for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great he’s doing really well and I prefer watching him than Miggy but he’s still not good enough to be our starting RW if we’re aiming for top four. People are kidding themselves if they think he’s good enough. 

12 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Great he’s doing really well and I prefer watching him than Miggy but he’s still not good enough to be our starting RW if we’re aiming for top four. People are kidding themselves if they think he’s good enough. 

I know we’ll never make top four with just him and miggy - never have, never will - oh wait a minute!!

We also would have got CL last year as well if pope hadn’t got injured (in my opinion).

Edited by Gawalls

10 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think everyone knows and probably Jacob himself that he isn't a starting RW. However, it looks like he is probably our best option next week based on form. 

He is a squad player and more than willing to play that role which is great for team morale. He has certainly proven me wrong and he has his limitations but is a fan favourite for many reasons.

6 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I know we’ll never make top four with just him and miggy - never have, never will - oh wait a minute!!

We also would have got CL last year as well if pope hadn’t got injured (in my opinion).

Miggy hit that ridiculous purple patch when we qualified for the champions league, he’s not going to do that again. Murphy is in great form and fully deserves to start. We’ve been crying out for a better on option on the RW for ages though. 

Howe also said last summer that Barnes can play right but we’ve never seen that. Our best current option I think is Barnes left and Gordon right in terms of goal threat.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Miggy hit that ridiculous purple patch when we qualified for the champions league, he’s not going to do that again. Murphy is in great form and fully deserves to start. We’ve been crying out for a better on option on the RW for ages though. 

Howe also said last summer that Barnes can play right but we’ve never seen that. Our best current option I think is Barnes left and Gordon right in terms of goal threat.

Its easy in here to say just switch Gordon over but his stats on the left are crazy and he’s made that position his, 21 goals or assists and scoring against all of the top four I think it was and you want to just swap him about?

Not for me - the rw does need someone but we’re not made of money and the amount of goals we conceded last season is a bigger issue to Howe it seems. You concede every game so the forwards have to score at least two to have any change of getting three points then no matter who you have there- you’re gonna struggle.

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Its easy in here to say just switch Gordon over but his stats on the left are crazy and he’s made that position his, 21 goals or assists and scoring against all of the top four I think it was and you want to just swap him about?

Not for me - the rw does need someone but we’re not made of money and the amount of goals we conceded last season is a bigger issue to Howe it seems. You concede every game so the forwards have to score at least two to have any change of getting three points then no matter who you have there- you’re gonna struggle.

I’m just talking about calibre of player that’s all. I agree I’d far rather have Gordon left wing (which still makes the Barnes signing an odd one particular as Howe was quoted as saying he can play right side). I’m perfectly happy with Murphy starting to begin with, he deserves it and is in good form. But three years into the takeover or whatever it is and to still have Murphy or Miggy as our RW options if that’s what it’s going to be this season isn’t good enough for me. That’s just my opinion and yes I get the point about right CB being a critical position to fill too. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I’m just talking about calibre of player that’s all. I agree I’d far rather have Gordon left wing (which still makes the Barnes signing an odd one particular as Howe was quoted as saying he can play right side). I’m perfectly happy with Murphy starting to begin with, he deserves it and is in good form. But three years into the takeover or whatever it is and to still have Murphy or Miggy as our RW options if that’s what it’s going to be this season isn’t good enough for me. That’s just my opinion. 

We can only achieve what we can - as long as we look stronger at the end of every window and everyone’s pulling in the right direction then we all have to trust the process and accept that. Fact is it seems we’re spent up and just as much as you don’t want miggy - no bugger else does either (or Wilson or longstaff) so we’re struggling to generate cash for that position. In my opinion if we can only buy one more then it has to be a CB.

Edited by Gawalls

Murphy’s pre season form is outrageous. If we’d signed a RW and he was doing this in pre season everyone would be so hyped up. 

Absolutely a starter next weekend for me. 

10 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

We have Barnes who has proven he's capable of the numbers Gordon got last year and whose numbers in his time.on the pitch suggest he'd do it for us as well.

I've seen nothing of Gordon's game which suggests he wouldn't be top class for us as an RW. 

3 minutes ago, JP said:

Murphy’s pre season form is outrageous. If we’d signed a RW and he was doing this in pre season everyone would be so hyped up. 

Absolutely a starter next weekend for me. 

👍

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

We have Barnes who has proven he's capable of the numbers Gordon got last year and whose numbers in his time.on the pitch suggest he'd do it for us as well.

I've seen nothing of Gordon's game which suggests he wouldn't be top class for us as an RW. 

If he can then fantastic - everyone’s a winner