Mikel Merino (now playing for Real Sociedad)

Disco

He's got a couple of goals in his last few u21 games afaik. It's one issue with a potential Shelvey partnership for me because if he has more licence to get forward I think he'll be in the goals but paired with Shelvey that's not on the table. Tricky one.

Individual stats doesn't matter, the team does if Shelvey and Merino is our best partnership means Merino having less favourable stats who cares?

I know I personally couldn't care less if he never scores as long as this level of performance keeps up.

Of all the midfielders we have Merino looks the best bet to play the furthest forward. As Rafa is unlikely to play three in midfield that would mean replacing Perez. As long as he plays with Shelvey or Hayden in a midfield two he will be restricted in how far forward he can get which is a pity as he's obviously capable of scoring a few.

He's got a couple of goals in his last few u21 games afaik. It's one issue with a potential Shelvey partnership for me because if he has more licence to get forward I think he'll be in the goals but paired with Shelvey that's not on the table. Tricky one.

Individual stats doesn't matter, the team does if Shelvey and Merino is our best partnership means Merino having less favourable stats who cares?

I know I personally couldn't care less if he never scores as long as this level of performance keeps up.

It's not about stats as such, it's about the fact that we can pretty much guarantee of the two of them Shelvey isn't ever likely to contribute a lot in terms of goals as he never has. Merino has that potential but won't fulfill it if he's playing deep.

Yes, it could be that playing him deep allows the team to function better overall but I'd personally like a CM who can be a goal threat.

It's not about stats as such, it's about the fact that we can pretty much guarantee of the two of them Shelvey isn't ever likely to contribute a lot in terms of goals as he never has. Merino has that potential but won't fulfill it if he's playing deep.

Yes, it could be that playing him deep allows the team to function better overall but I'd personally like a CM who can be a goal threat.

In a team struggling for goals such as ours it would be beneficial to the team to push him up and bring his goal scoring game out. Id rather Shelvey be further back where he can find space and ping his 50/60 yard pinpoint crosses in.

In a team struggling for goals such as ours it would be beneficial to the team to push him up and bring his goal scoring game out. Id rather Shelvey be further back where he can find space and ping his 50/60 yard pinpoint crosses in.

This is what I'm saying, it's a tricky one because Shelvey looks better further forward as well but has never contributed much in the way of goals.

Shelvey and Hayden in CM with Merino as #10 would be nice to see.  His decision making is so good, his ball retention in tight spaces is great, his passing is spot on and he obviously has an eye for a goal. Got to be worth a try

You're losing a lot of his qualities pushing him up the field. I liked what I saw of him and Shelvey together and Joselu seems the sort of striker who will be able to read their passes from midfield.

:thup: We don't need any more square pegs in round holes, we just need to sign a proper #10.

Guest firetotheworks

Look, it's simple. Lejeune DM, Merino AMF & Ryan Taylor on the wing.

Surely it's Coloccini at defensive mid

Santon at right back coz he kicks de ball wiv his rite fut

Look, it's simple. Lejeune DM, Merino AMF & Ryan Taylor on the wing.

Surely it's Coloccini at defensive mid

Santon at right back coz he kicks de ball wiv his rite fut

:lol: Pardew broke our collective hymen. We'll never forget him.

I also remember a time when a significant minority of either this forum in its early years, or possibly its predecessor, wanted Shearer to play CB so Kluivert and Bellamy could play up front!

Not having that, like.  :lol: