Kenedy

Scottish Mag

"All the players, all the staff, they made me feel at home. I felt good. I gained confidence from the amazing support and I really enjoyed it. Maybe one day I will be back."

That last sentence makes me think he's probably headed elsewhere, I'd like to believe we really have put in a £17m bid but let's just say I remain sceptical.

"All the players, all the staff, they made me feel at home. I felt good. I gained confidence from the amazing support and I really enjoyed it. Maybe one day I will be back."

That last sentence makes me think he's probably headed elsewhere, I'd like to believe we really have put in a £17m bid but let's just say I remain sceptical.

If we haven't submitted a bid at that price then it is an early indication of how the summer will go. Of course Mike's only stupid when it comes to football, so he'll probably make the bid but lose out on wages. And we'll still be in the dark.

This is one of the reasons I don't like loan deals. £20m probably would get him and £5m gets Dubravka but we're spending a huge chuck of our transfer budget just to have the same team we had at the end of last season.

This is one of the reasons I don't like loan deals. £20m probably would get him and £5m gets Dubravka but we're spending a huge chuck of our transfer budget just to have the same team we had at the end of last season.

This is weird logic.

This is weird logic.

Nothing weird about it. We need to spend £25m to have the same team we had at the back end of last season. That's nothing to do with logic it's just a fact. For a club who will have a transfer budget on the wrong side of £50m it's a huge chunk of money we need to spend to have the same team as we had for the last 4 months of last season.

This is weird logic.

Nothing weird about it. We need to spend £25m to have the same team we had at the back end of last season. That's nothing to do with logic it's just a fact. For a club who will have a transfer budget on the wrong side of £50m it's a huge chunk of money we need to spend to have the same team as we had for the last 4 months of last season.

So you would rather have had a worse team last season?

No I'd rather we stopped relying on the loan system and actually spend money on buying players that are ours to keep.

You cannot say they have not improved us since january so having both from the start of the season for 25m is a big plus

Soz, deleted that since I was being a nob :lol:

In that sense you're right, just after we've had really successful loan signings seems not the best time to make the argument.

Done well with Dubravka and Kenedy, not so with Slimani. Hopefully the two who did well will be back here permanently although I'm not hopeful about Kenedy.

I'm just not a big fan of the whole loan system tbh. Clubs who tend to rely on it a bit too much, as Sunderland did, can find themselves in a lot of trouble with it and clubs like Chelsea can stockpile young talent knowing they can just lend them out to desperate clubs such as ourselves.

This is weird logic.

So you would rather have had a worse team last season?

No I'd rather we stopped relying on the loan system and actually spend money on buying players that are ours to keep.

well yeah, but that's a very glass half empty scenario as well

looking at it the other way let's say we sign those two for £25m and then loan another couple this summer with options to buy in 2019 we then have a chunk of our budget still available and the squad improving

we'd all prefer not to do things the mike ashley way but we're stuck with it, the problem isn't loans in themselves it's not not insisting on buy clauses when the player turns out to be as good a fit as kenedy and dubs have been

Not a fan of the loan system whereby Chelsea can just stockpile players, something should be done about that BUT it worked out really well for us last season (or rather from January).

In an ideal world you buy the players you need however with our owner we know that isn't likely so using the loan market can help massively, it's something I expect us to use again BUT in the summer rather than in January.

The Kenedy loan was 100% the right thing to do, option-to-buy or not. Who's to say Chelsea would have agreed the loan if we insisted on buying him too? Do we cut our nose off to spite our face?

ah no in that instance it absolutely was, as was the slimani one, given the club refused to spend money

if we weren't ran by utter shithouses there's nothing wrong with using the loan system to your financial and playing advantage...loan 2 players a summer with options to buy a year later if you can get them

sunderland are a bad example imo as they loaned way too many players to prop up their squad

This is weird logic.

Our form from Feb until the end of the season was better than the position we ended up in, wasn't it? So if we manage to secure the two players that had us on a form that through a whole season would see us in 8th(?) then that is a good investment, non?

They need to stop buy-back fees being inserted into deals too - they're starting to get popular.

It's not much different to a minimum release clause really, but with first option to the selling club and no requirement to sell if another club offers it. Don't see a problem with that.

They need to stop buy-back fees being inserted into deals too - they're starting to get popular.

It's not much different to a minimum release clause really, but with first option to the selling club and no requirement to sell if another club offers it. Don't see a problem with that.

I just think it encourages stock-piling, like loaning out youngsters. Sweep up all the promising talent, loan them out for a bit, sell to a mid-table team but with a buy-back so that team can never really make a sustained challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Classic Chronicle clickbait. He does say those words, just not in that order.

I hate to say this but Ryder does seem to have an inside track on our deals and has been making hints about another deal in the pipeline. There is a fair chance of us getting him IMO.