Other clubs' transfers

Greg

9 minutes ago, brummie said:

They have had no choice - when they came here four years ago, we were literally one day away from going into administration. 

They've been great though. They're also putting a ton into the new inner city academy (next door to the ground), and are rebuilding the North Stand after this coming season.

They've set up a group company and are bidding for the new MSL Franchise in Las Vegas, Las Vegas Villans.

They are in it for the long term, clearly.

You worried at all about them putting that kind of money in, and it not working out like Everton? Obviously, it’s fun at the time.

7 minutes ago, Manxst said:

You worried at all about them putting that kind of money in, and it not working out like Everton? Obviously, it’s fun at the time.

No, because they're not pissing it away stupidly like Everton did.

They're different to Lerner in that respect as it's part of an actual sensible approach rather than just burning money because you left Martin O'Neill in charge.

Two signings so far and the season only just ended - Coutinho and Kamara for a total of £17m in fees.

That's sensible spending (and yes of course Kamara will have picked up a big signing on cheque).

1 minute ago, brummie said:

No, because they're not pissing it away stupidly like Everton did.

They're different to Lerner in that respect as it's part of an actual sensible approach rather than just burning money because you left Martin O'Neill in charge.

Two signings so far and the season only just ended - Coutinho and Kamara for a total of £17m in fees.

That's sensible spending (and yes of course Kamara will have picked up a big signing on cheque).

I’d assume that’s you out of the running for Phillips and Bissouma ? Telegraph this morning naming the as too targets for you but it may have been written before the Kamara news.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d assume that’s you out of the running for Phillips and Bissouma ? Telegraph this morning naming the as too targets for you but it may have been written before the Kamara news.

I think so.

We offered for Bissouma in January but they wanted stupid money, and I am pretty sure Phillips will stay at Leeds anyway.

We have desperately needed someone in this position for ages now - at least 3 years - and the three options out there were always Kamara, Phillips and Bissouma,

We're only going to be looking for one of those, so I would be amazed if we were still prepared to spend huge amounts on either of the other two.

Only thing that makes me wonder re that Telegraph stuff is that it came, I think, from John Percy who is basically always correct in what he writes about us.

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

their owners are certainly splashing the cash….

"Why do their fans hate the Glazers so much, they've spent x amount."

Those figures are disgusting for clubs the size of United and Newcastle.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Your owners have spent a lot and increased revenue tremendously. Please don’t compare them to Ashley who managed to reduce our income. 

Glazers have loaded the club with debt and are gambling on consistently increasing revenues to finance it. It's a bubble and I guess they plan to clear our before the pile of debt becomes too big to finance and they are no longer able to market themselves enough to get that increased revenue. It could be disastrous for the fans one day, albeit also I slightly worry the answer is they can do this indefinitely and nothing will happen, but I do have sympathy with Man U fans complaints over the glazers, as they are spending money they maybe can't afford badly, but I have little sympathy on the pitch while the bubble is yet to burst

59 minutes ago, brummie said:

I think so.

We offered for Bissouma in January but they wanted stupid money, and I am pretty sure Phillips will stay at Leeds anyway.

We have desperately needed someone in this position for ages now - at least 3 years - and the three options out there were always Kamara, Phillips and Bissouma,

We're only going to be looking for one of those, so I would be amazed if we were still prepared to spend huge amounts on either of the other two.

Only thing that makes me wonder re that Telegraph stuff is that it came, I think, from John Percy who is basically always correct in what he writes about us.

You have been looking at Sangare too if I can recall the media reports correctly? Think Gerrard has been to see him play a few times? Maybe you’re after more CM signings after all??

22 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Your owners have spent a lot and increased revenue tremendously. Please don’t compare them to Ashley who managed to reduce our income. 

The Glazers have done nothing to increase revenue, nor have they spent a lot. We have spent a lot of money that the club itself has earned through reputation that existed long before the Glazers. They have taken money out of the club rather than invest in it and are using us as a cash cow and nothing else.

They are comparable to Ashley in almost every way. Both cunts.

14 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Glazers have loaded the club with debt and are gambling on consistently increasing revenues to finance it. It's a bubble and I guess they plan to clear our before the pile of debt becomes too big to finance and they are no longer able to market themselves enough to get that increased revenue.

This is exactly what will happen. They'll continue to bleed the club, and get a massive payment when they eventually sell to some other dodgy fucker.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

It’s weird because they don’t seem to (on the surface) run the Buccs in a bad way .

Honestly, I hate them, but I also can't blame them. They're business men, and they're simply using a foreign asset to line their pockets. What happened should never be allowed.

44 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It’s not simply transfer money though (even if you HAVE spent a shitload of cash), but also the day to day running and upkeep, especially on infrastructure like the stadium and training ground. I know Man Utd fans say Old Trafford is in need of money, but it’s nothing to what Ashley decided not to spend on us. Just farcical for a PL team. You know we had wheelie bins and paddling pools, right…?! 

From what I've read about it, it's comparable in some ways, but there's no way you can possibly compare in terms of transfer spend, even relatively. I'm not in any way saying that spend should be the end of the argument or it's the be-all-and-end-all though. I've said many times that Man United are the 'all the gear, no idea' team of the football world. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

From what I've read about it, it's comparable in some ways, but there's no way you can possibly compare in terms of transfer spend, even relatively. I'm not in any way saying that spend should be the end of the argument or it's the be-all-and-end-all though. I've said many times that Man United are the 'all the gear, no idea' team of the football world. 

I think Ashley is/was worse, but the main comparison I'm trying to make is that we both have/had owners that couldn't care less about the clubs they own. Nothing but financial assets. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I think Ashley is/was worse, but the main comparison I'm trying to make is that we both have/had owners that couldn't care less about the clubs they own. Nothing but financial assets. 

No I get that like and don't disagree.

23 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You can. They've spent money the club has generated. You can argue they've sourced good commercial deals but they've also saddled that club with crazy debt. Their stadium is decrepid too.

Edited by The College Dropout

Not say that Man Utd owners aren’t bad, but I think the main issue people have with their fans calling the Glaziers bad is because they do it because Man Utd are not successful.

If Man Utd we’re winning the league etc, then I doubt any Man Utd fan would be complaining about how they are run and how they were bought via a leveraged buyout and the debt keeps getting piled on.

If Man Utd went out this summer and rebuilt and won the title for the next 3 years on the back of more debt, the people complaining now wouldn’t give a fuck, and would only start complaining again when that period of success stopped.

It's a mix of treating the club like an asset to milk and completely baffling decision making that diminishes the value of their 'asset' considerably at the same time. There was an element of spite to Ashley running the club into the ground, I am not really sure the motivation is for the glazers to make bad decisions that make them less money, apart from arrogance in making sporting decisions themselves rather than listening to advice and poor priorities. 

I think plenty would still be pissed off at the glazers if they won something, and why my sympathy is tempered is that as terrible as they are Man U are still in a position to win a few things, noone would be shocked if they won a cup. They are a million miles from the league mind, probably as far as us at this point. But I do think plenty man u fans would still be aware the glazers are leaches, just the same as I am sure when fans of other clubs accuse all newcastle fans of blindly waving tea towels and pledging alliegance to saudi arabia, i think plenty are aware that it's not bloody ideal. It's crazy what has been allowed to happen to football clubs all to service money money and more money