Other clubs' transfers

Greg

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

True.  But they are implementing buy back clauses for their young talent.  We should’ve done something like that for Minteh. 

They got Maatsen in their FFP fuckery.  We’ve got a no hoper.  

It was Brighton’s record transfer fee they likely aren’t breaking their transfer record and inserting a buy back clause. We are the ones that needed the money. Remember there was a day left before a points deduction we were in no position to be insisting they put in a buy back clause on their record transfer and if you were Brighton there’s no chance you would 

Edited by gdm

Just now, The College Dropout said:

That’s my point. Villa are strategically selling youth to clubs that will accept a buy back.  That’s executing a plan that keeps their best youngsters as Villa players long term.  

Our plan was just to shift the lad. We were so desperate that we didn’t even receive the highest bid. we apparently don’t have a sell on either. 

With a bit more time and strategy why couldn’t we have done what Villa have done with Philogene and Archer?

we signed a clunker from Forest too. 

We got a hell of a lot more money for Anderson and Minteh than Villa did for those two though?

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

We got a hell of a lot more money for Anderson and Minteh than Villa did for those two though?

Exactly. Insert a buy back and you are gonna have to accept a lower fee. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

It was Brighton’s record transfer fee they likely aren’t breaking their transfer record and inserting a buy back clause. We are the ones that needed the money. Remember there was a day left before a points deduction we were in no position to be insisting they put in a buy back clause on their record transfer 

Exactly my point. We were just desperate for the cash.  Didn’t get the best bid. No buy back.  No sell on.  Desperate times.  Dealt with it badly.  

Villa - dealing with PSR a little smarter.  Spent some time planning how they could navigate PSR by selling youth but still keeping them long term.  In Philogene’s case they got him a great loan. 

Villa got a bad fee for Luiz. But at least they were proactive in resolving their PSR issues in decent time.  Shows some preparation. 

We went from seemingly 0-100 in the last 2-3 weeks. We didn’t prepare well for it at all.   

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Exactly my point. We were just desperate for the cash.  Didn’t get the best bid. No buy back.  No sell on.  Desperate times.  Dealt with it badly.  

Villa - dealing with PSR a little smarter.  Spent some time planning how they could navigate PSR by selling youth but still keeping them long term.  In Philogene’s case they got him a great loan. 

Villa got a bad fee for Luiz. But at least they were proactive in resolving their PSR issues in decent time.  Shows some preparation. 

We went from seemingly 0-100 in the last 2-3 weeks. We didn’t prepare well for it at all.   

Which goes back to my original point We were desperate for the cash because we’ve no saleable assets no one wanted Almiron, longstaff or Wilson by that date 

Even if we agreed a buyback for Minteh what would it be? Probably £70m or so for it to be with it for Brighton, if he reaches that level bigger sides than us will be in for him anyway. 

Needing a higher fee is also a sign of not dealing with PSR as well as Villa.  Minteh is a lot more proven than those were too.  

We didn’t even get the best fee for Minteh. Did we suggest a lower fee but a buy back to the French club and Minteh?

The latest rumours are that we spent £12-20m on the GK. We didn’t even get a useful player from the fuckery.  

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I also get the feeling West Ham have absolutely zero idea about how to buy strikers 

There's a reason we are happy to sell him despite him actually doing well last season.

He's a problem in the dressing room. John McGinn suggested this in an interview, and Emery has also hinted at it.

I posted this here before but apparently, prior to leaving the house he was renting, he threw a party there and literally trashed the place - holes kick in walls, light fittings ripped out.

Honestly, to a man our fans will be glad to see him go.

Emery is not open to any fucking about of that type at all. Paying £14m for him and getting a decent 20m plus profit sounds like a no-brainer.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Needing a higher fee is also a sign of not dealing with PSR as well as Villa.  Minteh is a lot more proven than those were too.  

We didn’t even get the best fee for Minteh. Did we suggest a lower fee but a buy back to the French club and Minteh?

The latest rumours are that we spent £12-20m on the GK. We didn’t even get a useful player from the fuckery.  

Minteh didn't want to go to Marseille though did he?

Not sure how that was the clubs fault

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

Which goes back to my original point We were desperate for the cash because we’ve no saleable assets no one wanted Almiron, longstaff or Wilson by that date 

Yeh that’s bad planning though isn’t it?  We knew that a long time ago.  

We didn’t know Minteh would be worth £30-40m 12 months ago or even 6 months ago. In the end - we’ve been a little fortuitous. We can’t have planned to receive that much for him. 

Villa can plan to sell their youth. Luiz contract was up for renewal and he would’ve wanted Tielemans/Kamara money.  Probably 2x what he was on - so they probably planned to sell him too.  

Their approach shows a plan to dealing with the PSR issues as they continue to spend.  Our approach doesn’t suggest we had a good plan to escape PSR.  If not for Minteh having a breakout season, it’s likely we sell a Purple in a rush.  That’s so poor.  

Anyway - we’ve changed a lot of the leadership structure and I don’t expect we’l be so ill prepared next season. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I find it odd to criticise when we have no real idea of any of the conversations that took place. By all accounts minteh didn’t want to go to France. 

you also contradict yourself by praising Villa then saying they got a bad fee for Luiz if we sold Joelinton for example for that fee you’d be the first to criticise the club. 

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Anyone else think this is very meh considering the money they have spent. As well as losing Luiz who was one of their best players last year

Yeah time will tell of course but I’m not sure I’d be absolutely buzzing with any of them. Tbh I hadn’t even heard of 3 of them so may be totally wrong. It does seem to be quantity over quality 

As long as a plan is logical and coherent - I can accept it. 

I’ve accepted that we needed to sell Minteh based on our circumstances. In the end it was the best plan that we had.   

But I maintain that we should have had a better plan in the first place. 

I think Ashworth was prepared to sell Joelinton if necessary.  I said at the time, as much as I like Big Joe I’m hesitant to give players like him the big salary if it makes him hard to shift.  The changes at leadership level have probably led to this slapdash approach to PSR. 

Likewise I was skeptical of Villa signing free transfers on club high wages because existing players would want to match.  Turns out Villa are happy to trade those existing players.  That’s a logical plan. It might not work but it makes sense. 

29 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You would’ve been happier if we’d sold a key player cheap to get it done quickly? 

I dont think theres a scenario possible in his mind where the club werent as good as him at anything to be fair