Other clubs' transfers

Greg

6 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Swings about. They signed Coutinho, Carlos, Dedoncker, Moreno for £70m in 2022/23, and probably get scratch money back for them. Being fortunate that the Saudis have giving them their money back for Diaby isn't part of some long term plan, just enables them to then spend more elsewhere which may or may not help them.

Agree about their previous spending.  I was critical of it then but I didn’t realise they had buybacks for their young players. 

They’ve seemingly stopped signing players 28+ for FFP reasons. 

Agree fortunate on the Diaby money. Unfortunate on the Luiz deal.  But Saudi wanted Diaby last year too. And if not Saudi - they would’ve still received decent money for him. 

They knew they needed to do shady deals so secured some bright young talent from Chelsea. 

7 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Can't help but feel you're playing Football Manager in your head here TCD

We're not in a position to put buy back clauses to teams like Brighton for our players

We ended up being desperate. Why did we end up in a desperate situation? When did we realise nobody would want Almiron and Longstaff??? 

for the last time - we didn’t even get the best fee. We secured no sell on or buyback. 

And that ended up being the best outcome. By far.  And not one we knew we could leverage when we should’ve been planning our escape route. 

Edited by The College Dropout

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Yes. 

He was at the peak of his value.  I’m a big fan but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable. It looks like we were lining up a potential replacement in Ederson. 

Now he’s going to be hard to shift due to his age, salary and ability (in Europe anyway).  

But that’s just your opinion. I’d say you are in the minority. So can you see if we sold Joelinton and kept minteh you would be happy yet many would criticise the club for selling a first team player  

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We ended up being desperate. Why did we end up in a desperate situation? When did we realise nobody would want Almiron and Longstaff??? 

for the last time - we didn’t even get the best fee. We secured no sell on or buyback. 

And that ended up being the best outcome. By far.  And not one we knew we could leverage when we should’ve been planning our escape route. 

You don't seem to understand that we wouldn't have got as much money from Brighton or Forest had we put buy back clauses in them. 

There's a reason villa buy back their youngsters from Hull and Sheff Utd and not Prem teams

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agree about their previous spending.  I was critical of it then but I didn’t realise they had buybacks for their young players. 

They’ve seemingly stopped signing players 28+ for FFP reasons. 

Agree fortunate on the Diaby money. Unfortunate on the Luiz deal.  But Saudi wanted Diaby last year too. And if not Saudi - they would’ve still received decent money for him. 

They knew they needed to do shady deals so secured some bright young talent from Chelsea. 

Has Kellyman got a buy back clause?

They've also been able to make deals on players like Archer, because they have an actual academy which we haven't. We'll be years away before we can get to a level similar of producing players that are capable of playing in Championship.

Can argue it helped in some way to them getting UCL, but they spent money on Zaniolo and Lenglet last season, who have no future with them. As mentioned, they have both good and bad deals to show.

We sell Hall next summer say for £50m, are we lauded as a well run club in PSR world?

Just now, joeyt said:

You don't seem to understand that we wouldn't have got as much money from Brighton or Forest had we put buy back clauses in them. 

There's a reason villa buy back their youngsters from Hull and Sheff Utd and not Prem teams

Exactly this. It’s like Everton trying to put a buy back clause for Gordon there’s not a chance we’d have done that deal 

We were also in the Champions League with an unprecedented injury crisis and one of our most valuable players out with a gambling ban.

To get 70mil for two players who haven't done much for us turned out to be excellent deals on paper

11 minutes ago, joeyt said:

But you're conveniently forgetting that we're now in a much stronger position to buy players we want while still having Joelinton. The window hasn't closed yet. 

Joelinton is a proven Premier league player,  Minteh and Anderson aren't. Villa have signed unproven players from Juventus or their former youngsters. 

I imagine the plan was to sell Almiron and Wilson but no ones biting 

The fact we did all our deals for 1st July makes me think we needed that money to be compliant. Not that it gives us tremendous headroom for new transfers.  

And the rumours seem to suggest we aren’t looking at the top of our wish lists either (Thiaw).  And we are still actively trying to sell a few more.  IMO it’s those transfers that will give us the real wriggle room to invest. 

Why did we not know Almiron had no desire to go Saudi? If not Saudi, it would be silly to expect decent money for Almiron.  I had this discussion loads last season - always maintained the European market for Almiron wouldn’t pay a good fee for him. TCD being right again. I’m sure the club knew that too.  Never getting £50m for Almiron and Wilson in Europe.  I’m sure the club knew that. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

The fact we did all our deals for 1st July makes me think we needed that money to be compliant. 

You reckon? I thought we just did it for the hell of it

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

But that’s just your opinion. I’d say you are in the minority. So can you see if we sold Joelinton and kept minteh you would be happy yet many would criticise the club for selling a first team player  

To add - I also think the plan was to buy the Atalanta Ederson.  From what I could tell - a similar profile. Younger. 

And at least it’s a coherent plan with forethought. That’s what I’m commending Villa for. Having a plan to reconcile their spending spree for FFP that they could execute comfortably. 

I can accept our plan A was selling Bruno - and I hate that. I love Bruno. Think he’s hard to replace. I hate that plan.  But it’s clear and coherent. We didn’t have a plan B, so Minteh saved the day by doing so well at Feyenoord and we did the SHADIEST FFP deals out of all the clubs. Because we had no other decent plans. That’s poor leadership and management. 

I think Ashworth would’ve prevented it becoming so desperate. And so would Mitchell if he was in place and Staveley and co. Weren’t. PIF recognise that wasn’t a good way to handle it. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

To add - I also think the plan was to buy the Atalanta Ederson.  From what I could tell - a similar profile. Younger. 

And at least it’s a coherent plan with forethought. That’s what I’m commending Villa for. Having a plan to reconcile their spending spree for FFP that they could execute comfortably. 

I can accept our plan A was selling Bruno - and I hate that. I love Bruno. Think he’s hard to replace. I hate that plan.  But it’s clear and coherent. We didn’t have a plan B, so Minteh saved the day by doing so well at Feyenoord and we did the SHADIEST FFP deals out of all the clubs. Because we had no other decent plans. That’s poor leadership and management. 

I think Ashworth would’ve prevented it becoming so desperate. And so would Mitchell if he was in place and Staveley and co. Weren’t. PIF recognise that wasn’t a good way to handle it. 

That’s a hell of a lot of guesswork. 

I'm not sure how we were the shadiest club when Villa,  Everton and Chelsea were all in cohoots overinflating fees for their random youngsters?

How do we know the club didn't plan for Minteh to play a season for a champions league club and then sell him for a profit?

Shady howeh man. Chelsea just sold physical buildings and their own women's team to themselves and you're saying our FFP deals were the shadiest? You make a few good points and the rest is just hypothesis, guesswork and hyperbole.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

27 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The fact we did all our deals for 1st July makes me think we needed that money to be compliant. Not that it gives us tremendous headroom for new transfers.  

And the rumours seem to suggest we aren’t looking at the top of our wish lists either (Thiaw).  And we are still actively trying to sell a few more.  IMO it’s those transfers that will give us the real wriggle room to invest. 

Why did we not know Almiron had no desire to go Saudi? If not Saudi, it would be silly to expect decent money for Almiron.  I had this discussion loads last season - always maintained the European market for Almiron wouldn’t pay a good fee for him. TCD being right again. I’m sure the club knew that too.  Never getting £50m for Almiron and Wilson in Europe.  I’m sure the club knew that. 

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Are you ITK TCD?

We haven't had a good forum ITK in a while.

Edited by The Prophet

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Are you ITK TCD?

Really is a ludicrous amount of assumption & guesswork passed off as fact. Impossible to form a solid opinion when even half of that might not be true :lol:

21 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Shady howeh man. Chelsea just sold physical buildings and their own women's team to themselves and you're saying our FFP deals were the shadiest? You make a few good points and the rest is just hypothesis, guesswork and hyperbole.

Aye right tbf Chelsea are the shadiest. Forgot about their hotel shit.

Having the release clause expire in June I think is a clear strategy by the club to ensure that if he is sold - he helps the current seasons FFP. He continued his fantastic form. I think that was a sensible route to before ffp issues, get spending money and act like we didn’t want to sell him. That all makes sense - no?

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Are you ITK TCD?

You see a took a fact - which led to an idea based on that fact. Clearly examples by using the words ‘the fact.. leads me to think’. It’s an idea that could be wrong but one based on what we do know. Not presented as fact. But a logical thought.  

Where there’s rumour - I’ve said so. Again could be wrong. 

31 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I'm not sure how we were the shadiest club when Villa,  Everton and Chelsea were all in cohoots overinflating fees for their random youngsters?

How do we know the club didn't plan for Minteh to play a season for a champions league club and then sell him for a profit?

I can’t believe we would pin our FFP strategy in August of the same FFP financial year on a 19 year old from Odensse quadrupling his value that season so we could sell him by July. 

I shouldn’t have to say this…….. that’s not good planning. 

Those responsible for that plan aren’t here anymore anyway. So we move.  

47 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

And the rumours seem to suggest we aren’t looking at the top of our wish lists either (Thiaw). 

Seems they rate Thiaw really highly tbh. We looked at him last year and have returned again.

And as usual are taking advantage of a down year due to being out of the team after an injury early in the season.

18 hours ago, Pata said:

Villa already did that with Philogene. Instead of loaning out your youngsters you sell them and have a buyback clause to get them back.

It can't keep going like this, these swap deals are also getting ridiculous but such an easy way to get past the regulations.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Can't help but feel you're playing Football Manager in your head here TCD

We're not in a position to put buy back clauses to teams like Brighton for our players

Are Villa playing Football Manager? 😄

We absolutely can and should be putting buy back clauses into young players we rate, if we are forced to sell them for FFP reasons.

Although ideally we won't be in that position again...