Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Then Pardew blamed our seasonal troubles on the Europa League, convincing Ashley and even some moronic "fans" that being in the Europa League is a bad thing.

Thank god we're not in the Europa League again.

Imagine the Pardew rhetoric now though if he'd actually won something. Doesn't bear thinking about

Tbf if we won something I wouldn't really give a crap :lol:

Nah not having it....I'll will cut off my nose to spite my face and serve it to the wanker to eat. No compromises.

Guest Howaythetoon

Then Pardew blamed our seasonal troubles on the Europa League, convincing Ashley and even some moronic "fans" that being in the Europa League is a bad thing.

Thank god we're not in the Europa League again.

I was that happy I partied at home to Arsenal. That year wasn’t all fun though, the Notting Hill Carnival was shit and that had such a huge impact on my life, I’ve never recovered.

Of course we could have won. If we'd for example started... erm... anybody but Bigi on the wing. And maybe let HBA and Marv have more than 3 minutes to make a difference.

The home tie was one of the few times I thought Pardew played it well tactically. We had to keep it tight as an away goal killed the tie, and we went 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go - absolutely the right idea but it just didn't come off.

The away tie was a shambles defensively like. Santon can fuck off.

Of course we could have won. If we'd for example started... erm... anybody but Bigi on the wing. And maybe let HBA and Marv have more than 3 minutes to make a difference.

The home tie was one of the few times I thought Pardew played it well tactically. We had to keep it tight as an away goal killed the tie, and we went 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go - absolutely the right idea but it just didn't come off.

That away game was so annoying. We took the lead aswell, a 2-1 loss would've been a decent enough result.

And to be fair, Pardew's Newcastle team did beat Rafa's Chelsea one. No reason we couldn't have won that tournament. He prioritised the Sunderland game and still lost it.

In the space of 2 weeks we managed to get knocked out of the Europa League and lose 0-3 and 0-6 to Sunderland and Liverpool respectively.  Great times

This can't be right, I thought we lost 6-0 when we had geremi, smith and co?

That away game was so annoying. We took the lead aswell, a 2-1 loss would've been a decent enough result.

A bit similar to the AZ Alkmaar game, I knew we'd end up getting knocked out when it was 4-2 in the first leg.  Think we gave away a silly penalty when it was 4-1. Might be remembering that wrong

And to be fair, Pardew's Newcastle team did beat Rafa's Chelsea one. No reason we couldn't have won that tournament. He prioritised the Sunderland game and still lost it.

In the space of 2 weeks we managed to get knocked out of the Europa League and lose 0-3 and 0-6 to Sunderland and Liverpool respectively.  Great times

That was 08-09 which pushed Shay to demand to leave - 1-5! Hammered by the God of this thread!

We got battered 0-3 in 2007/08 under Allardyce when it really should've been 0-9 or 0-10. The atmosphere at that game was horrifically toxic. And in 08/09 they again dicked us and should've scored more but it was 1-5 under JFK. Both games Liverpool were managed by Rafa, who apparently doesn't play good football, too defensive, doesn't let his players past the half way line and stuff. Read it on here.

The 0-6 was under Pardew, Suarez was banned for Liverpool, and they again should've scored more. Our pathetic attempt at an offside trap that game. :lol:

The longer it goes, the more convinced I am that he stays regardless of Ashley. Can see him getting a similar sort of budget to the one McClaren got if not more, and I reckon he'll take that.

I can see that as well, and I reckon he really could improve this squad with a budget like that. Look what he did in January with £0, man. :lol:

Hate having hope whilst that vile fat cunt is our owner.

We spent fuck all the season we came back up last time, and then again in the second season. I see no evidence to suggest Ashley would give Rafa anything like an a acceptable transfer budget this summer.

Where did the McClaren £80m even come from? God, to think they gave that fucking wedge to that absolute no-mark,  man... and we got relegated.  :doh: :lol: Total and utter imbeciles.

We got battered 0-3 in 2007/08 under Allardyce when it really should've been 0-9 or 0-10. The atmosphere at that game was horrifically toxic. And in 08/09 they again dicked us and should've scored more but it was 1-5 under JFK. Both games Liverpool were managed by Rafa, who apparently doesn't play good football, too defensive, doesn't let his players past the half way line and stuff. Read it on here.

The 0-6 was under Pardew, Suarez was banned for Liverpool, and they again should've scored more. Our pathetic attempt at an offside trap that game. :lol:

Christ I had totally forgotten about the 0-6 somehow, but just googled it now i remember, good times

We spent fuck all the season we came back up last time, and then again in the second season. I see no evidence to suggest Ashley would give Rafa anything like an a acceptable transfer budget this summer.

Where did the McClaren £80m even come from? God, to think they gave that fucking wedge to that absolute no-mark,  man... and we got relegated.  :doh: :lol: Total and utter imbeciles.

Ashley made an interview with Sky saying he was going to get backed that summer.. I think most of that money got made back anyway tbh

Yes, my comment was about what I felt was too much acceptance of defeat. Cisse scored and hit the post twice in the first 60 minutes of the away leg. The tie was there to be won, regardless of Benfica's domestic form or reputation. Losing meekly was of course the hallmark of the Ashley era before Rafa.

From .com's match report.

For all the disappointment, the result was a fair one and there looked to be a recognition among home fans that they'd lost out to a genuinely talented side - beaten just twice in the last year (by Barcelona and Spartak Moscow) and arriving on Tyneside in search of a thirteenth successive win.

Spirit will only take you so far and the individual errors of the first leg ultimately proved to be insurmountable. Regardless of Pardew's team selection tonight, scoring twice and keeping a clean sheet was a very tall order indeed, even ignoring the Premier League tests that bookended it.

Christ I had totally forgotten about the 0-6 somehow, but just googled it now i remember, good times

I remember it was horrendous. Turned up expecting us to give them a usual SJP pumping (wahey, no Suarez!), but it went quickly wrong...