Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest chopey

I think our team will be weaker than last season, if a European club comes in for one of our players after our transfer deadline he'll be gone, Ashley will have the perfect excuse not to replace and Rafa will walk.

I think our team will be weaker than last season, if a European club comes in for one of our players after our transfer deadline he'll be gone, Ashley will have the perfect excuse not to replace and Rafa will walk.

Which European club would do that for one of our players though? Unless someone like Valencia or Sevilla randomly threw £20m at Ayoze which is unlikely.

From the Chronicle article

"Constantly on the phone attempting to arrange transfer deals, Benitez has had scant to show for it. He has put potential deal after potential deal the club’s way"

No doubt some clubs have rejected our proposals (for loans), ala Rondon/WBA. Have to also think that 'Blocker' Barnes whom Rafa namedrops this time (who vetoed a loan deal for Loftus Cheek, with a buy option during his first month in this 'unspecified' job) has been quite a busy boy too.

I’m just going to enjoy the last season with him then walk away. Absolute joke.

Looks like I'll be doing the same.  He'll win us a cup...fuck the league...then walk away.  Hero status confirmed and chaos will be directed at MA. It will be glorious.

i'll be honest, i don't think there will be the backlash (again)

rafa will keep us up, the club will make loads of noise about wanting to extend his contract but everything will fizzle out in the close season...they leave an appointment and of course any new signings as late as possible, probably the manager close to ST renewals, then the narrative will return to back the new guy all this negativity is no good for the team

i'm also of the opinion he might not return to the route of signing pardews/mcclarens and go for better managers he can string along who are good enough to keep us up in his eyes...he sees the balance sheet so it's surely better to pay one guy £6m a year to reap in £150m than shelling out loads of money to prop up a shit manager on £2m a year or whatever

he'll play us like a crappy flute

Guest chopey

Which European club would do that for one of our players though? Unless someone like Valencia or Sevilla randomly threw £20m at Ayoze which is unlikely.

We have a few purples that any club would be happy with

Going to be a right laugh when he hands his new patsy £75m to spend on players.

They'll say they were uncomfortable handing that money to Rafa who wouldn't commit his future to the club and people will believe it.

Like who? Not many of our players have a reputation outside of England nor are there many European clubs willing to pay the inflated prices and PL wages post-window.

Going to be a right laugh when he hands his new patsy £75m to spend on players.

They'll say they were uncomfortable handing that money to Rafa who wouldn't commit his future to the club and people will believe it.

This is exactly my worry, people will still somehow manage to lap up any shit they are fed as long as they can still go to 'support the team not the regime' on a matchday. 

Guest chopey

Like who? Not many of our players have a reputation outside of England nor are there many European clubs willing to pay the inflated prices and PL wages post-window.

You might be right but I still think we are one of the clubs most vunerable to the fact that we can sell players without any chance of replacing them just like what happened with Andy Carroll, instead now we dont have hours to get the deals done its weeks.

Hmm, soul-destroying is probably the most appropriate term. We might as well not bother having a top class manager. I feel like I'm going to spend my life looking back on what we could've been like under a manager like Rafa Benitez, because we'll never actually know.

I can't believe Rafa is still here, he is setting himself up for a massive fall, we were in real trouble at one stage last season and I'm not sure his reputation could take another relegation

Nah, that's wrong. Rafa has absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. If/when we get relegated everyone knows his hands are tied and he did his best dealing with the worst owner in the league. If he keeps us up it proves how good he is.

His reputation will be higher regardless of what happens.

We wont get relegated.

Maybe not this season but the one after as Rafa walks off into the sunset and Ashley hires some dead beat honky and the cycle continues.

Oh, we are as good as down when Rafa goes and our best players follow him. I just don't see it this season.

Ashley is a very selfish human being.

Takes a lot of guts to hold 100.000s as prisoners in order to grow your fat wallet even bigger.

Sell up and invest your money elsewhere - a place where you do not ruin peoples life or at least a huge part of their lives.

What kind of arrogant prick does that?

He knows how deeply people feels for this...what a sad human being!

Nothing new, i know, just needed to get it out  :'(

Ashley is a very selfish human being.

Takes a lot of guts to hold 100.000s as prisoners in order to grow your fat wallet even bigger.

Sell up and invest your money elsewhere - a place where you do not ruin peoples life or at least a huge part of their lives.

What kind of arrogant prick does that?

He knows how deeply people feels for this...what a sad human being!

Nothing new, i know, just needed to get it out  :'(

The sort of prick who shafted his own parents (who financed his first store) and allegedly didn't pay them back, even after the big SD flotation.

Rafa nails it when talking about investment being linked to his contract extension. Normal football clubs invest for the purpose of improving and getting better, that investment should be done regardless of who the manager is or how long he is planning on staying.

It just sums Ashley up and the stupid games he likes to play.

I think Ashley's heart giving up is probably the best we can hope for otherwise we'll be stuck in this rut for many years to come.

We wont get relegated.

Maybe not this season but the one after as Rafa walks off into the sunset and Ashley hires some dead beat honky and the cycle continues.

Oh, we are as good as down when Rafa goes and our best players follow him. I just don't see it this season.

I agree. Rafa's focus this season would have been building a decent side if he was backed, when he sees that isn't happening, he'll just want to put together a side which won't embarrass him in his final year. Kenedy on loan is a perfect short term solution for that, so I wouldn't rule out a couple more deals like that one.

Honestly at this point I want him to go. Why should someone with his CV put up with this.

This.

I mean clearly I want him to stay, but my respect for him would if anything increase if he just turned tail and walked away, sticking 2 fingers up at this regime in the process.