Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

what are the odds for Rafa leaving and the next person that the fat cunt appoints gets an open cheque book?

Imagine someone like Nigel Pearson getting £100m to spend. Ugh.

Pre-season trip to Thailand would be full of japes though.

what are the odds for Rafa leaving and the next person that the fat cunt appoints gets an open cheque book?

Imagine someone like Nigel Pearson getting £100m to spend. Ugh.

Pre-season trip to Thailand would be full of japes though.

Kenedy would be in his element

Massive respect to Rafa for doing what he's doing with dignity, but Christ man, what a buzz kill this is.

Maybe we need a big "Where's the tv money?" flag. I'm too pissed off to think of anything else at the moment.

Guest chopey

Massive respect to Rafa for doing what he's doing with dignity, but Christ man, what a buzz kill this is.

Maybe we need a big "Where's the tv money?" flag. I'm too pissed off to think of anything else at the moment.

August 10th will be an interesting day.

I'm sure this must have been asked but is Rafa's use of Instagram his way of advertising himself to other clubs ?

He doesn't need to do that. He already has an active website and twitter, just an extension of that.

I'm sure this must have been asked but is Rafa's use of Instagram his way of advertising himself to other clubs ?

Which cloobs would do their recruitment that way?

”Hey Don, ‘ave you heard of this Beneefus character? Not a Tweetohilic like you, but he’s on Insta... might be worth a punt”

Not a chance, but I do believe he’s on there to get even closer with our fan base, ultimately helping his cause when he starts to inevitably turn the screw on Ashley and co.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/new-season-same-old-frustrations-in-transfer-market-for-benitez-fd62rrgvq?shareToken=e85ac6c8ada877e7324421759b7609fa

New season, same old frustrations in transfer market for Benítez

George Caulkin asks how much longer the Spaniard can carry on in his state of funding and contractual limbo

July 20 2018, 12:01am,

The Times

His right thumb and wrist are encased in black strapping, a very Rafa Benítez type of injury. Newcastle United’s manager suffers from tendinitis, often brought on by signing autographs or shaking hands, but this summer it has flared from overusing his phone, from punching out emails on his laptop, forever on the hunt for players, possibilities. In that sense, his discomfort has a double meaning.

A couple of months ago, a friend of the Spaniard told him to go on holiday; staying at home on Merseyside while pressing Newcastle to do business would be a waste of time. There had been frustration for three successive transfer windows, over the club’s reluctance to act, to back Benítez, and their curious absence of communication. Yet barring a short weekend in Spain to visit his family, he stayed and worked and, inevitably, the pattern has been similar, except that now he requires surgery (which he will put off).

When he spoke to journalists this week at Carton House, Newcastle’s leafy training base to the west of Dublin, Benítez sounded resigned. In the same place 12 months ago, there was an edge to his request to Mike Ashley to free up funds, but this felt different, sadder. When, to general astonishment, he arrived at St James’ Park in March 2016, Benítez believed that he could persuade Newcastle’s owner to finally “do things right”, but he cannot believe it any longer.

Another theme since the middle of January has been Newcastle’s attempts to extend Benítez’s contract, which is entering its final season. The timing of the initial approach was bemusing — Benítez was pushing for signings and time was running short — and talks since, first over an offer of another five years, including a £6 million release clause, and then for one year, have not progressed meaningfully.

Benítez is not simply belly-tickling supporters. He loves his relationship with them, the honest spirit of the team he has built, the club’s stature and their city’s rhythms. At the same time, trust has been chipped away and if Ashley will not listen to him, does not offer clarity, will not invest and will not sell up (the owner’s £400 million asking price is prohibitive), then why would he stay?

The club’s attitude? If Benítez refuses to commit then why would they buy players his successor may not fancy? Why stretch themselves financially if the manager is to leave? The counter-argument can be seen at Napoli, a former Benítez posting, where players he brought in have grown in influence and value, but Ashley has never been prepared to speculate to accumulate. It feels an awful lot like impasse, like the beginning of a long ending.

Newcastle have not been inactive. Goalkeeper Martin Dubravka’s loan from Sparta Prague has been converted into a permanent transfer, winger Kenedy will spend a second season on loan from Chelsea and midfielder Ki Sung-yueng has joined on a free transfer from Swansea City, but with Mikel Merino leaving for Real Sociedad, it is a squad treading water. Negotiations over a budget became bogged down with the contract and Benítez is working on the assumption that he must sell to buy.

With Aleksandar Mitrovic close to completing a £20 million move to Fulham, there is money to sign Salomón Rondón, of West Bromwich Albion, but Newcastle need more. Benítez wants another five players — unlikely — but even though there will be additions, they will not be from the top of his list. “If you don’t act quickly then you lose the opportunity and the next player is more difficult and the next maybe doesn’t have the same quality,” he said.

This is not what was envisaged by Benítez, the Champions League winner, the serial trophy-hoarder, the details man who came to Newcastle because he saw potential and the chance to mould a club, but he is not the only one plagued by repetitive strain. It should be the club motto.

:lol: so inspirational

It's unbelievable how they're treating a man and manager like Rafa for the FOURTH consecutive window - absolute wankers.

I can't wait until he goes all guns blazing on the bastards!

"Is the current squad good enough for what we need? I don’t think so. It needs additions, that is clear. It is clear what we have to do.

"There could be a new signing in time for Portugal, but then I was expecting things before. As I have said before, if we have new players coming it will be good, it will be better than nothing.

"As a manager, you would have liked to have seen these players one month ago, but if we can do something it will be better than nothing."

When asked whether there was money available following Chancel Mbemba's move to Porto, Rafa replied: 

"Ask Lee Charnley".

Nufc.com:

Probably already been posted, but... Wow ?