Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Be frustrating if the only major disagreements were facilities and the 28+ policy. The former may as well wait another year, whilst there are many good strikers out there, not just Rondon.

Compromise can easily be made.

There comes a point when enough enough though and you have to make a stand. End of a contract is as good a point as any.

Be frustrating if the only major disagreements were facilities and the 28+ policy. The former may as well wait another year, whilst there are many good strikers out there, not just Rondon.

Compromise can easily be made.

This (unpopular opinion?) but yeah this.

The man is an elite manager who has worked wonders. He shouldn’t have to compromise on the age of a player he buys ffs.

Rob Draper is absolutely gagging for Rafa to leave, he's been predicting it every transfer window for about two years.

Most journalists have been. Who is that Liverpool poster who gets on here? I'm sure he said it was a pattern at Liverpool as well, whenever there was a disagreement between Rafa and the board there would be stories from the same journalists giving Rafa's side of the story. It's noticeable with Martin Hardy especially. They obviously are on good terms from his book and I think Hardy has suggested he is leaving for every transfer window he has been here.

Luke Edwards feels Benitez hasn't comprimised enough, but where have the club comprimised to meet Benitez half way.

Competitive budget - No.

Increase Wage bill - Maybe.

Upgrade training facilities - No.

Upgrade academy - No.

Sign and sell players quicker - No.

Sign more experienced players - No.

Ambition - No.

Even if all of Benitez's transfer targets met the clubs preferred player profile they would still haggle over prices and drag their heels for weeks until the likes of Watford swoop in to take the player from under the clubs noses. The club have made zero attempt to show they value Benitez and we saw what happened last summer that there is no reason for Benitez to put his trust in them.

As for Benitez harming Newcastle's pre season preparations well thats the clubs problem. They could have set a deadline weeks ago and if things couldn't be agreed with Benitez then let him leave for free so they had the time to find a replacement instead of trying to win a starring contest with their manager. The irony the club are even bothered preparing for something in adequate time when Benitez has pleaded with the club since promotion to do things more swiftly has fallen on deaf ears.

Newcastle United will make one final attempt to convince Rafael Benitez to sign a new contract this week as it appears increasingly likely he will quit the club.

Benitez’s contract will expire on June 30 and he is expected to announce he is leaving St James' Park after three-and-a-half years as he is unhappy with the personal terms offered and the size of the transfer budget available to him.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/22/newcastle-will-make-one-final-attempt-convince-rafael-benitez/

"Attempt" = will you take the same wage in different text font on the contract?

Rondon gone, Perez off and now almiron to real Madrid? Sounds about right. No takeover, Redfearn first team coach and 150m for Denis wise to return to spend as d.o.f.

It's grim but it was always going to get worse before it gets better. Just a case or how much worse and how much longer. Tip of iceberg most likely given our recent history.

I’m fairly convinced he’s off now like. As I’ve said before, the only hope is that an announcement is on hold as there’s a plan to tie it in with news of the takeover.

However, if that’s a slow burner and is now looking likely to run past 30 June, you’d *think* Rafa staying would just be announced ASAP.

What really scares me is that you know there’ll be no contingency plan. The talk was they didn’t even bother speaking to Rafa until the season ended. Not a chance they’ll have someone else in mind.

I’m fairly convinced he’s off now like. As I’ve said before, the only hope is that an announcement is on hold as there’s a plan to tie it in with news of the takeover.

However, if that’s a slow burner and is now looking likely to run past 30 June, you’d *think* Rafa staying would just be announced ASAP.

What really scares me is that you know there’ll be no contingency plan. The talk was they didn’t even bother speaking to Rafa until the season ended. Not a chance they’ll have someone else in mind.

Rafa was saying for a good 2-3 weeks before the end that he’d been talking to Charnley.

Aye, no plan B. It’s all coming up a bit Neil Redfearn

I always thought there would be no takeover and Ashley would do the absolute bare minimum in order to keep Rafa, being the cunt that he is. Looks like he's going to exceed even my pessimistic mind this time though.

Nothing has changed.

This is his last power play to get the club to compromise. If they don't he has a decision to make on carrying on with the status quo or walking away. We're talking about a world class manager here, not Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes.

If he walks no one can blame him. As Kevin Keegan said, you cannot work with these people. Some of those people may be gone but the incompetent common denominator remains.

Nothing has changed.

This is his last power play to get the club to compromise. If they don't he has a decision to make on carrying on with the status quo or walking away. We're talking about a world class manager here, not Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes.

If he walks no one can blame him. As Kevin Keegan said, you cannot work with these people. Some of those people may be gone but the incompetent common denominator remains.

Yep, well apart from another day goes by. I still think theres a chance Ashley gives just enough to get him to stay. Then probably reneges on even that.

If we are being taken over, would all these little details and demands be such an issue for Ashley though?

Getting to be more people I've blocked posting in this and the biscuit thread than people I haven't. Please stop quoting the knackers. Thanks.

This is becoming very common these days. People asing everybody else to alter their behaviour, in order to accomodate their own childish choices. Why not just block anybody who quotes them?

Imagine the chaos if as expected now Benitez says he’s off and the club has to do a frantic search for a (cheap yes man) manager and then “attempt” to bring in new signings and with pre-season literally round the corner. Total car crash of a situation but entirely predictable.

Every day that passes is ramping up anxiety on this great man being allowed to leave with no proper contract offer and plan for the future. Still hopeful something will work out, but its getting scary.

If Rafa leaves and there is no takeover I think the new manager will be Neil Readfern.

And many players will leave the club.

Such as Lascelles, Shar, Almiron, Perez, Dubravka, Hayden and maybe Longstaff.

Really hope this takeover will goes through and Rafa stays.

I guess/hope we will know more when july comes along.

Don't think Rafa will sign a new contract as long as Ashley is here.

Will sign a new contract when/if the takeover will be completed.

If Rafa leaves and there is no takeover I think the new manager will be Neil Readfern.

i don't think so many will leave this summer like, unless ashley is really intent on burning it all to the ground

i don't think so many will leave this summer like, unless ashley is really intent on burning it all to the ground

I think many players will hand in transfer requests in protests of how Ashley has been handling Rafa and the whole situation.