Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

And so he should be. Unless Ashley sells up he's wasting his time here, sadly.

I want him to leave at this stage. Benitez staying just gives the illusion that the club is functioning well. I hope he doesn't go to China though and waits for a decent opportunity to come around. It doesn't mean much, but when Liverpool sacked Benitez they got take over a few months later year so hopefully the same happens for us.

You want the only solid security the club has to go :laugh:

Yeah let’s just sink to League 1 instead and hope Mourinho turns up and drags us back up.

People are going to get a reality check when Rafa Benitez leaves this football club.

Guest covmag

When Rafa goes and Ashley is still here with some stooge manager next season let's not attend games or give him money by spending at any of his tatty shops please folks.

We must boycott.

Great idea  :lol:

When Rafa goes and Ashley is still here with some stooge manager next season let's not attend games or give him money by spending at any of his tatty shops please folks.

We must boycott.

Never happen man most of our fans have Stockholm syndrome

Guest chopey

Christ, that Picto is only a year older than me and he’s banging on about millennials.  What an absolute helmet.

Thing is previous generations have actually been more likely to boycott

https://youtu.be/jgnRNxZ8GTE

I was in the middle of there somewhere as a 15yr old kid with my mckeag boardbusters t shirt

I was the same age and was in there to I think I can see my tall mate so I was probably somewhere next to him, the current fans will not protest like that anymore and they won't even vote with their feet, it will take a season of mammoth shitness (like sunderland/Derby) for some to even think about change.

Tbh nothing that concerning from Caulkin we didn't already know. It's always been takeover and Rafa or bust.

Justin Barnes though...

That was how I read the article as well. I would think by now Rafa has already decided to turn down any offer from Ashley, rightly recognising the owner as taking the piss, but where he goes from here is just a guessing game. He would want to know where the takeover is, and if he thinks it's actually going through, he could just have a break from football for a month or two and see if the new owners want him to carry on. We are in holiday season after all, and unless he really wants the money, he's not necessarily going to go to China.

He’s not going to China ffs; he’s told people in the club that he had the chance to go to Juve and turned it down. If the takeover doesn’t go through he knows what Ashley is prepared to give him and he’ll have to decide if that’s good enough for him to stay. I’ve no doubt he wants to stay.

I really don’t think we’ll hear much until the end of the month. IMO if the takeover doesn’t happen and Rafa feels Ashley has been moving the goal posts then there’s every chance he’ll walk.

If you accept that there's a genuine chance of a takeover before the start of the season, then it's no wonder that there's uncertainty over Rafa's contract. New owners will want to make their own decision. It sounds like Rafa has been offered a one year rolling contract as a stopgap in the situation, but Rafa is holding out for something more.

We do have a habit of elevating figures into a bigger-than-the-club position. I'd like Rafa to stay, but any takeover is more important.

If you accept that there's a genuine chance of a takeover before the start of the season, then it's no wonder that there's uncertainty over Rafa's contract. New owners will want to make their own decision. It sounds like Rafa has been offered a one year rolling contract as a stopgap in the situation, but Rafa is holding out for something more.

We do have a habit of elevating figures into a bigger-than-the-club position. I'd like Rafa to stay, but any takeover is more important.

You really think Rafa wants more than a 1 year contract from Mike Ashley? :lol:

He would likely only be willing to sign a 1 year contract maximum with Mike in the hope Mike Ashley might be gone in the next year which means he can extend further then or just leave at the end of next season if Mike isn’t gone.

No way will Rafa be asking for more than a 1 year contract in the current situation.

Hopefully Rafa just signs the 1 year contract and tries to wait Mike Ashley out the worst case scenario for him in that situation is the takeover never happens in the next year but at least he’ll have the chance to get out again at the end of next season.

I think they’re probably just having a game of brinkmanship till the last few days of his contract.

Mike will probably have to make a last ditch effort in the contract(Let him sign Rondon?) to keep a man he knows guarantees him survival and keeps us away from going for his throat.

Hopefully Rafa is just trying to get us the best possible contractual guarantees by making Mike sweat till the last day.

He’s not going to China ffs; he’s told people in the club that he had the chance to go to Juve and turned it down. If the takeover doesn’t go through he knows what Ashley is prepared to give him and he’ll have to decide if that’s good enough for him to stay. I’ve no doubt he wants to stay.

I really don’t think we’ll hear much until the end of the month. IMO if the takeover doesn’t happen and Rafa feels Ashley has been moving the goal posts then there’s every chance he’ll walk.

Its not that I doubt what you have been told, but we would have heard from the Italian media if Benitez did turn down Juventus.

Assuming the Bin Zayed Group are the favourites to take over the club its possible they won't give Benitez the control he wants either. They will likely bring in a director of football, Midhat Kidwai will likely have some power and it wouldn't surprise me either if they want to retain the policy of signing players under 26 years old because its the sort of policy most clubs follow these days although maybe less rigid with it like Ashley. Benitez would like a takeover to happen, but I doubt he would sign a new contract until he got the opportunity to the new owners if we get new owners.

I can't see him signing a new contract if ownership is likely to change in the near future, and I can't see him signing another contract for CUNT. So I'm not at all surprised that he hasn't signed a new contract, yet. Whether it's a good sign or not, is impossible to determine.