Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

The decisions he's being criticized on are pretty marginal, if we're being brutally honest. No alternatives we have are considerably better than others, no shape really fits the team because the plans he had were scuppered, nobody can see a genuine way out with the current playing squad. Our hope is to grind out a few points until Jan or someone wild cards some form until New Year.

Guardiola said on TV the other day/week that the key to success as a manager is to have good players. We don't and, frankly, Rafa's decisions in this run are somewhat irrelevant until that isn't the case anymore. Unless he starts making wacky calls, at least.

Ashley seems to be getting very little flak for our current plight when he's the main f***ing instigator of this shitshow. Instead, everyone is getting hung up on whether f***ing Mitro is our starting striker.

The decisions he's being criticized on are pretty marginal, if we're being brutally honest. No alternatives we have are considerably better than others, no shape really fits the team because the plans he had were scuppered, nobody can see a genuine way out with the current playing squad. Our hope is to grind out a few points until Jan or someone wild cards some form until New Year.

Guardiola said on TV the other day/week that the key to success as a manager is to have good players. We don't and, frankly, Rafa's decisions in this run are somewhat irrelevant until that isn't the case anymore. Unless he starts making wacky calls, at least.

Ashley seems to be getting very little flak for our current plight when he's the main f***ing instigator of this shitshow. Instead, everyone is getting hung up on whether f***ing Mitro is our starting striker.

Thats a great thing for Guardiola to say, considering hes only managed sides with superstars and huge budgets. Is he a Fucking idiot. Most of us would probably finish somewhere near the top 4 with the sides hes managed.

Sorry but whilst there are many reasons to back or support him, there are many to knock him too.

He is a world class manager and the last few weeks have not shown enough to warrant that status or his salary.

Yes the squad is shit, yes he has been fucked over, yes we needed more investment. However, we started the season well with the same players and looked pretty solid but unspectacular.  We new look shot to bits and it feels like the takeover talk is his only escape right now.

Reality is 100m (even if we have it/can spend it) will barely touch the sides. The others still need to perform and sadly they are not and he seems (at the moment) unable to change that.

I hope I am wrong and he turns it around with new owners and investment.

We all know the context behind this summer and it can't be ignored. But at some point the question is going to be asked about his ability to organise, drill, motivate and inspire the squad he's got to work with. Lack of quality is annoying but a lack of effort and desire to put it right is unforgivable. It looked like they just gave up tonight, heads went down and they went through the motions which is where you need some direction from the dugout. I think it will get better and we won't go down but he needs to deal with this situation right fucking now. We look shot to bits and some of that is down to him, he's not perfect or bulletproof and he's the manager of this squad.

The other thing that's really bugging me - and I know this is pretty rich considering he's at least partly responsible for a takeover even being possible, even if just by being here in the first place - is what happens if the PCP bid all comes to nothing. It's certainly still a possibility, despite today's promising reports.

He's then got to carry on working with these players and the motivation looks completely shot right now.

Entirely this.  Look Rafa, ok you have made your point to the owner/ex owner.  BUT can you get some points on the table for goodness sake.

The other thing that's really bugging me - and I know this is pretty rich considering he's at least partly responsible for a takeover even being possible, even if just by being here in the first place - is what happens if the PCP bid all comes to nothing. It's certainly still a possibility, despite today's promising reports.

He's then got to carry on working with these players and the motivation looks completely shot right now.

Thats a great thing for Guardiola to say, considering hes only managed sides with superstars and huge budgets. Is he a f***ing idiot. Most of us would probably finish somewhere near the top 4 with the sides hes managed.

Guardiola had a relatively poor season last season because he didn’t have the players to fit his system and style of play. Now that he does, the results are there for everyone to see.

Apply the same situation to Rafa - does he have the players he needs to fit his preferred system or style of play? Of course he doesn’t. He’s doing his best with an ill-suited group of young, inexperienced players. To expect anything other than scraping survival is too much.

I think he'll rebuild it by getting the team playing to keep clean sheets again. It won't be pretty, but it's how he's got results all his career. At the moment it's individual errors costing us points, we just need a break sooner rather than later.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not even really thinking about the money, just players that Rafa wants in the positions we need. It might not even be a daft amount.

Sorry but whilst there are many reasons to back or support him, there are many to knock him too.

He is a world class manager and the last few weeks have not shown enough to warrant that status or his salary.

Yes the squad is shit, yes he has been fucked over, yes we needed more investment. However, we started the season well with the same players and looked pretty solid but unspectacular.  We new look shot to bits and it feels like the takeover talk is his only escape right now.

Reality is 100m (even if we have it/can spend it) will barely touch the sides. The others still need to perform and sadly they are not and he seems (at the moment) unable to change that.

100m? that would easily keep us up like

Really. If current form continues that would be one hell of an achievement (by the the they come in). Confidence will be fucked. Players coming in would have to be pretty fucking good. We all know how far 100m does not go for proven, will make an impact players.

We started the season with Lascelles and Dummett in our back four, not the best footballers, but defensively very sound. Even having Lascelles back made us much better tonight, so I don't think you can dismiss the importance of key players when his system is based around being solid and hard to beat.

Yes the squad is s***, yes he has been f***ed over, yes we needed more investment. However, we started the season well with the same players and looked pretty solid but unspectacular.  We new look shot to bits and it feels like the takeover talk is his only escape right now.

Momentum and confidence from the Champonship season carried over and we were an unknown quantity in this league for the first few games. Doesn’t take long for other managers and scouting teams to figure out a team. That’s what’s happened here, combined with a group of players who haven’t experienced a situation like this before. That’s why Rafa wants some experienced players.

Thats a great thing for Guardiola to say, considering hes only managed sides with superstars and huge budgets. Is he a f***ing idiot. Most of us would probably finish somewhere near the top 4 with the sides hes managed.

Guardiola had a relatively poor season last season because he didn’t have the players to fit his system and style of play. Now that he does, the results are there for everyone to see.

Apply the same situation to Rafa - does he have the players he needs to fit his preferred system or style of play? Of course he doesn’t. He’s doing his best with an ill-suited group of young, inexperienced players. To expect anything other than scraping survival is too much.

This is a stupid argument. The guy can spend and literally get who he likes. Its arrogant almost narcissistic for him to blurt out when he has practically never found himself managing a side that needs major surgery. Not just a little tweak.

We all know the context behind this summer and it can't be ignored. But at some point the question is going to be asked about his ability to organise, drill, motivate and inspire the squad he's got to work with. Lack of quality is annoying but a lack of effort and desire to put it right is unforgivable. It looked like they just gave up tonight, heads went down and they went through the motions which is where you need some direction from the dugout. I think it will get better and we won't go down but he needs to deal with this situation right fucking now. We look shot to bits and some of that is down to him, he's not perfect or bulletproof and he's the manager of this squad.

:thup:

I think the take over talk and the way Rafa publically dealt with the lack of summer transfer activity is very demoralising for the players. The message come across is that Rafa doesn't rate what he has. The take over and talk of big bucks being spent is basically the end of the Newcastle careers of half of the first team across the next 12 months. Hardly something to feel great about when chips are down.

I think Rafa has failed to inspire the lads here and now. He's over estimated himself and underestimated the effects of the above on this young group of lads.

January is clearly a save our season situation. Hope it works out and we get what we need.

Got to start earning his massive salary now like.

What is it you expect him to do? Order his defence to stop conceding goals? Get what we always knew was a poor strike force to start scoring freely? All he can really do is organise the team and hope they do their jobs.

Don’t sign them in the first place because they are not good enough.

Most of them were signed to take us out of the championship.

This^

Anyone who cant see this is a bit special.

I thought we played alright tonight... created some really good chances which on another night would have seen us score a couple. You can tell confidence is low though. This takeover can’t come soon enough.

Hold up lads, sensible post alert! Not sure these are allowed at the moment mate.

I’d get your tin hat on sharpish

Benitez said: “One day it’s one thing, another day it’s another.

“We have individual errors that are costing us points.

“We have changed the team, the shape and players - and still we are losing so we have to take responsibility, starting with me and that’s it.”

Newcastle now travel to Arsenal at the weekend, and Benitez admits he must lift his players.

Benitez said: “I have the same feeling that all the fans have.

“The team started the game well and had chances, we were on top and had the game under control, then we made a mistake.

“The way they were wasting time makes it even more difficult in this situation.”

“We hit the crossbar and the post, we were unlucky.

“But still we are making mistakes that are costing us points.

“The only thing you can take as a positive is our approach in the game and the performance of the players in the first half.

“The negatives are the final result.

“It’s difficult to accept and understand.

“We have to make sure the players aren’t down for too long because we must get ready for the next game.”

Benitez said: “One day it’s one thing, another day it’s another.

“We have individual errors that are costing us points.

“We have changed the team, the shape and players - and still we are losing so we have to take responsibility, starting with me and that’s it.”

Newcastle now travel to Arsenal at the weekend, and Benitez admits he must lift his players.

Benitez said: “I have the same feeling that all the fans have.

“The team started the game well and had chances, we were on top and had the game under control, then we made a mistake.

“The way they were wasting time makes it even more difficult in this situation.”

“We hit the crossbar and the post, we were unlucky.

“But still we are making mistakes that are costing us points.

“The only thing you can take as a positive is our approach in the game and the performance of the players in the first half.

“The negatives are the final result.

“It’s difficult to accept and understand.

“We have to make sure the players aren’t down for too long because we must get ready for the next game.”

So refreshing, even if we are shite.