Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, andycap said:

He bought championship players to get outta the league. When we got the Premier league Ashley wouldn't part with the money to improve us  so we were left with piss poor prem players, yet the man had us comfortable which is a feat in itself. 

Rafa had been planning months ahead for our return to the Premier League and had lined up and agreed loan deals for Tammy Abraham and Loftus-Cheek to come in from Chelsea, using his contacts from when he worked at Chelsea.

Guess who vetoed the deals ...

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Kenedy who's been loaned out to about 5 clubs and barely gets a game in Spain? That Kenedy? Hardly decent. 

The kenedy that started off as a revelation for us and was then messed about with.

I'm not interested in what other clubs he played for.

1 minute ago, magvicar said:

The kenedy that started off as a revelation for us and was then messed about with.

I'm not interested in what other clubs he played for.

How was he messed about? There's a reason he's been shipped out on loan and barely plays. It's because he's not decent. 

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

How was he messed about? There's a reason he's been shipped out on loan and barely plays. It's because he's not decent. 

He may not be now but he certainly was with us.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Even if you want to ignore what he's done elsewhere (presumably because it doesn't help your point, Kenedy's peak was with us under Rafa.

It's an incredibly weak argument to be making like.

This is what I'm saying.

He was a revelation and Rafa decided to play him as wing back and focus on defensive work more as well as attacking.

It didn't suit Kenedy and his game suffered because of it.

Rafa bought in wingers and basically refused to play them much.

He was far too defensive minded for me and the way I saw it was him going out to not lose rather than going out to actually get on the front foot and try to win games.

If people saw it differently then that's their opinion.

6 minutes ago, magvicar said:

This is what I'm saying.

He was a revelation and Rafa decided to play him as wing back and focus on defensive work more as well as attacking.

It didn't suit Kenedy and his game suffered because of it.

Rafa bought in wingers and basically refused to play them much.

He was far too defensive minded for me and the way I saw it was him going out to not lose rather than going out to actually get on the front foot and try to win games.

If people saw it differently then that's their opinion.

Murphy, Atsu, Almiron, Ritchie and Kenedy the only wingers he brought in? He played them all. Regularly. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm 99.9% sure Kenedy never played as a wing back.

We didn't have the quality to allow for any passengers in our XI either, they were all extremely hard working and had to be 

He didn't :lol:

Only covered at left back on four occasions for us.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kenedy/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/281404/verein/762

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, magvicar said:

Wasn't Staveley originally lurking around the Liverpool takeover before Newcastle?

Staveley tried to buy Liverpool year and years ago, I think it was the late 2000’s. She failed in her attempts and the current owners went in to buy Liverpool. At the time she met and got on with Rafa.

It has been rumoured and not dismissed that Rafa actually contacted her about investing in Newcastle, knowing that he would never get enough backing from Ashley.

2 hours ago, magvicar said:

How did he work wonders?

He was offered a new contract but he wanted 6 million a year, unless that's not correct.

He then chose to go to a Chinese club with a pretence that it was just the project he needed when it was plain to see it was the silly money on offer.

I have zero time for him.

This is Simon Jordon levels or rewriting of his time/ending at us.

He was out of contract, he had been fucked about under Ashley time and time again and had no faith in him being backed again. As it happens Ashley backed Bruce the summer he left to counter balance how shit Bruce would be and to hope that sheer quality of 2 players which he took backhanders on would counterbalance Bruce’s shitness and lift us above Rafa’s finishes. Even considering that, Bruce only managed to finish as high as he did and not get is relegated because we played 1 and half seasons behind closed doors, and in one of those season most clubs couldn’t have given a fuck and were running the games out.

It is no coincidence that as soon as fans were allowed back, Bruce was taking us down.

As for not enjoying the football when he was here. I hear that all the time from the those who never liked him, they forget that fact that our previous managers who allegedly played more attacking football fucked us. Pardew after his usual good start had us fighting relegation for 2-3 years. Carver took us from mid table security in January, to a final day relegation showdown with Hull fucking City.

McClaren finished the relegation job Carver and Pardew couldn’t finish.

Whilst you lot were complaining about Rafa’s inability to be attacking front footed, Conte won Chelsea a title, and Mourinho got one of Man Utd’s shittest ever sides since they were relegated in the 70’s a 2nd place finish playing in a similar way Rafa’s pragmatic approach.

Edited by Stifler

I've got no problem with people disliking benitez but don't talk a load of shit to prove your point. I still reckon it's because he's a foreigner, look at keys et Al they hate the huggable little bugger ? 

Rafa was great, a tiny glimmer of hope in a giant pot of piss. A little defensive but worked wonders most the time he was here.

Cant knock the bloke. But happier with Howe and the way he plays, less politics too. Onwards and upwards!

Also cant underestimate the role Rafa had in bringing the new owners to the table, if the tales are true.